What to buy?

Luke115

Car
Audi A3 2.0 TDI
I'm sure there must be other threads for this and so am more than happy to just be pointed to one..

I wana start a lil project soon but just dont know what to get. I would like something I have a lot of choice of what to do with, is reasonably fast and wont cost me loads to buy or do. I would look at a rough age of say 2005 maybe? probably allow a budget of say 5g's to buy it & then yh, not too bothered about cost of doin it up but obviously want something that's going to be reasonable.

I quite like cars like the Evo n Scooby or maybe a Skyline though I dont quite know if a RWD would be a good idea. though if i was gona get a skyline or maybe an M3 I would obviously look at slightly older cars (& bigger budget for M3)

but yeah, what sort of suggestions do people have. Its something I haven't really done before but am willing to put in the effort in lookin at a car I want to keep for a few years. I have an Audi a 2.0 tdi as my runaround...

thanks for reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is insurance going to be an issue for you?

I recommend turbo cars, these can generally make good power gains without requiring too much internal work.

The S2000 is a good car but is complete, there are not many things you can do to it cheaply to improve it.

Anything with the 'VAG 1.8T' is a good bet IMO. The Supra twin turbo, Skylines with turbo engines, S15 and S16's the S200 and 300ZX are also good candidates for roject cars.

RWD can be fun and a lot of drifters swear by BMWs for reliable power and great handling.

What do you want to do with it eventually? as that would have a bearing on what to look for and what can be done etc. So many choices out there if budget is not an issue. If you go jap there are no end of options, but do you want to be different or fit in with something current or been done before?

Leave the VAG 1.8T's they're expensive to tune and don't really ever make good numbers, plus rods are like chocolate.

Loads and loads of options. Typically something Jap or Ford will be cheap and easy to tune but you will pay good money for a good turbo Ford these days. Some ideas based on a £5k budget:

S14a 200SX - Endless possibilities and parts avaliable, bullet proof engine, massive support and knowledge base. £3k will get you a tidy one so loads of change for mods, easy 300hp.

Evo 5/6 - As above apart from you will need all £5k.

RX7 - Risky choice and need much pampering but look and sound amazing imo.

Loads of Honda stuff but good power costs good money. Some very good cars out of the box (EK9, EP3, DC2/5, S2000 etc) but as a result they don't make for much of a project without making big changes.

Before you decide what to buy you need to decide what you're trying to achieve. There's so much choice but certain cars would be better choices than others for different reasons.

Expand your budget a touch and you're into Supra TT territory, but it will have to be a bit of a dog and an Auto, or a very lucky find! They really are a fast car out of the box, few mods and you have a supercar beater.

I wouldn't buy ANY evo, regardless of age for less than 4k mate.

They are worth more as spares so if they are less then there is something major wrong with them. The AYC pump in all after the 4 is worth about 2k alone. And Evo's 3 and below are incredibly collectable, so go for around this price if not above.

You will get a pretty good imported 6 with quite a bit done to it (fuel pump, induction, exhaust and map (standard upgrades really)) for around 4.5k/5k.

Or a British model for the same money BUT they will probably be in worse condition than an imported one for the same money. The imported ones arn't worth as much so you get more for your money.

volvo all the way. cheap s chips! looks like old man car but goes like stink, AWD makes for finominal performance. personaly the 5ylinder note does it for me ha.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back