What is your earliest memory of a car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the first memory you have of desiring a particular car? I had a poster of a Lamborghini Countach anniverssary in my bedroom and I'm pretty sure that is the first car I've ever really really wanted.

Although as a young lad there was a 2.8 Capri in our street with a full bodykit and I remember liking the sound of the engine purring.

As a child I really fancied a Mk2 Granada 2.8i Ghia X. For a few days at least.

Then I took a liking to a Fiat 131 Mirafiori 2000TC. For a few more days

Renault 30TX with the 3 litre V6 engine was tasty.
Triumph 2500Pi was appealing, for very few days.

And I nearly had a fling with a MK1 Ford Capri - straight six on offer in Essex form.

And now I'm shacked up with this bloody diesel.

Ah yes I remember the 131 Mifarfiori in white with blue trim down our way. I think your first choice the 2.8i Ghia set your lifetime desire for Torque.

I remember really liking the Porsche 944 Turbo! I saw one in green and it just looked amazing! I always liked Porsches when I was young...until everytime I saw one it had an old balding man in the driver's seat!

I had the privilege of driving a 944 Turbo in 1989. Like a high powered RWD Golf is the way I'd describe it now. Which is a compliment and a half.

When you say "old balding man" they were the only people who could afford 944's in '89 the yuppies (word I haven't used in a long time) wanted the 911's, ferrari's etc 944 was to sensible. Bear in mind though my car I have now has it's original bill of sale at £42,358! This is in 1989. Now the 944 is no longer made they are probably at the cheapest they'll ever be and make great sporting cars for the running cost and all things eighties are coming back into fashion now anyway. I love em because my brother had one so was lucky enough to ride in one to school sometimes, Oh yes:cool: Now 20 years on I take my daughters to school in one, and they go Oh Yes :cool: Funny how things come round :D

When i was at primary school and it was having some building work done, we used to have to travel to a place called Blofield Hall for lessons. The parents did the short school run back in those days and i often travelled in an E-type Jag, can't really remember though if it was the car or the driver, the lady driving it was stunning too. :)

I never had any love for cars though, it was always bikes and most probably still would be if my back wasn't damaged too much to enjoy the type of bike that i prefer.

I remember thinking the AW11 was something special - there was a brand new one down our road and I thought it must be a Ferrari or something. Eventually I owned one for two years, of which it spent six months on the road. I'd love another one, but I'd have to pay through the nose for one in good condition, and it'd have to be a toy.

My very earliest memory of a car must be my earliest memory and was being in the back of my Dad's car with my brother, so it must have been around 1983. I was too small to look out the window (even in the baby seat), but I remember going to the Tescos petrol station in Lakeside, when there was just Tescos down that hole and not all the other shops too!

What is the first memory you have of desiring a particular car? I had a poster of a Lamborghini Countach anniverssary in my bedroom and I'm pretty sure that is the first car I've ever really really wanted.

Although as a young lad there was a 2.8 Capri in our street with a full bodykit and I remember liking the sound of the engine purring.
thats about right for mi too,always thought the countach looked amazing. My friend owned 1.3 fiesta super sport and i thought it was the bees knees.

Last edited:
Seeing as my parents never drove it was left to my Matchbox, Corgi and Dinky toys! My first real car memory must have been my now brother-in-laws MK1 Ford Cortina GT, dark green with gold flash! When I was an apprentice I always wanted a MK2 Cortina Savage :bigsmile: as for 'super cars' I had a soft spot for a Lamborghini Muira in bright green.

I can't remember ever not liking cars. But there were two in particular which I credit with cementing my interest into a lifelong obsession. It was back in the early 1960s and I would have been about 5 years old at the time, which meant that both of these cars would have been close to brand-new.

These days it's impossible to relate just how much they stood out amongst a sea of chumpy local machinery. And, as it happened, they were British!

So on my 2 mile trudge to school every morning along this narrow, winding stretch of road called The Boulevard, I'd regularly see a stunning bright red Jaguar E-Type 3.8 soft-top, the early model with engine purring and chrome wires 'a glinting. Honestly, it looked like something that had landed in from outer space. The kind driver even recognised my interest and waved to me a few times, maybe he recognised a bit of his childhood self in me? It was usually driven in enthusiastic manner, especially in the wet with a few oversteer slides on show if I was lucky!

The other car was parked near my school every day, and at lunchtime I'd walk over to the carpark where it sat, just to hover near it and drool at it and admire its smooth lines. It was an immaculate AC Acecca, a superb little coupe in the deepest silvery pewter paintwork. I spent many hours in that carpark, studying how it looked, comparing it against the normal cars, peering inside & out at its exotic shape and composition. And this evolved into a nascent appreciation of vehicle design.

From those beginnings my fate was well and truly sealed and, as they say, the rest is history. :amuse: