What effect does music have on your driving?

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
TITAN wrote: "but wen on a motorway (or simply no police around) a bit of 'drive faster' music is always good e.g drum & bass or dance

pendulum's 'Hold Your Colour' album always tends to make my foot a bit heavier on the pedal" UNQUOTE

Perhaps we could fire off another thread on the psycho-acoustic effects of the music that drivers listen to? This is unchartered territory for me, but I'd like to gather some opinions upon how it influences our driving.

The generic road safety brigade (ie. those who subscribe to the idea of a national speed limit of 5mph or some such other stupidity) would be appauled by this suggestion (read on):-

"Music that leads you to drive more rapidly is beneficial to safety. It enhances your perception of what's around and ahead of you, thereby making your driving safer. Heightened awareness is not a bad thing, in my opinion. If something as simple as the music that you like at a perceived level of loudness (volume) you like makes you safer then that's a good thing and should be encouraged."

I will add that awareness and perception cannot necesarily be regarded as one and the same, before the dead-from-the-toes-upward bunch start attacking me.

Assembled ladies and gentlemen, I await your comments.

Last edited:
Re: What do you listen to in your car?

Too true HDi...the right type of music does heighten your alertness in the same way the wrong type of music can decrease alertness. I would say a bit of Pendelum keeps you 'awake' and will assist you when having to make quick decisions.

Such a good idea for a thread i've moved the posts to their own thread now.

I would say that classical music tends to chill me out and keep me calm, I drive slowly and just do not get wound up.

Rap music tends to make me a more aggressive driver, I am more likely to take risks and push through gaps.

Dance/House/Hip Hop would cause me to drive at higher speeds than normal.

Rock music however seems to heighten my alertness and gives a fantastic feeling of well being - pure escapism!

I'd be interested in hearing other drivers take on this.

I've taken to driving around playing the old Power Rangers theme tune really loud. It does put me into a rather playful mood, it has to be said.

I definitely agree that music can effect your driving. There's a song I have on my car stereo by a band called "The Hellecasters" that starts off really fast and furious, but then has a really slow, jazzy mid section. I often find that I rev higher, drive faster and even sit up in my seat more during the first bit; and then lean back, shift at lower revs and drive in a more calm fashion during the jazzy bit :p

I've taken to driving around playing the old Power Rangers theme tune really loud. It does put me into a rather playful mood, it has to be said.
:confused::confused:

i find that yeah music does change my driving habits but i dont know about alertness. never really thought about it

when i listen to some rap/hiphop i always feel the need to rev and go faster, unless its some song chilled out song about women

Don't you mean hoes?! :lol: Hip hop does make you feel more aggressive!

I agree! I never feel quite so aggressive as when I hear hip hop or rap music! :lol:

Sorry... I'm a rocker at heart. I do like a lot of dancy / trancy type stuff too, though. And a lot of old classic pop songs. Oh and classical. And some country and western. And techno. And jazz. And... Ok, I admit it, I just don't like Rap and Hip Hop.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it - my ears just don't get on with it. I'm not about to slam someone's tastes just because they differ from my own :)

Hayley1: "The louder and faster the beat and the bass, the faster I vrrrooooooooooooooooooooom!!!"

Which is good, in my opinion. Do me a favour: Go back and read my post at the top of this thread. I'm trying to establish whether the right music at right volume for right driver in right car makes us drive more rapidly. I am proposing that we're going faster under these conditions because the music is heightening our awareness and perception. Therefore, we're also driving more safely as a result.

I'm trying to justify a poke in the eye for the OTT uninformed safety bandits who collectively claim that loud music in cars increases risk of accidents.

They will argue that the opposite applies and that the music distracts your attention from the risks your taking by driving faster. But, they would, wouldn't they? Sadly, a lot of so called expert campaigners who think that lower speeds would solve everything generally are very poor drivers. Further, what are we trying to solve. DO we really have a chronic road safety problem in this country? Probably not.

Not to say that things couldn't improve, but these silly bloody kill joys are missing ALL the relevant points and are not even aware of the salient ones.

Thanks,

Kind rgds,

Paul (hdi)

Another point is that if your music is played at a volume where pedestrians can easily hear it, then they are also more aware of you using the road. Meaning they are less likely to step out into the road and possibly cause an accident.

Ok, so maybe it doesn't have much to do with your actual driving style, but it helps the scenario in proving that loud music doesn't cause accidents.

I agree! I never feel quite so aggressive as when I hear hip hop or rap music! :lol:

Sorry... I'm a rocker at heart. I do like a lot of dancy / trancy type stuff too, though. And a lot of old classic pop songs. Oh and classical. And some country and western. And techno. And jazz. And... Ok, I admit it, I just don't like Rap and Hip Hop.

ill second that. i like all sorts of music, rap/ hip hop is more of a steady cruising beat but dance/hardcore or "golden oldies" with a good beat about it makes u want to drive fast. Every 1 is different,
As Far as Distraction goes, i feel tht music is much more distracting thn using my phone (not tht i use it now it illegal)
Jamesy

Another point is that if your music is played at a volume where pedestrians can easily hear it, then they are also more aware of you using the road. Meaning they are less likely to step out into the road and possibly cause an accident.

Ok, so maybe it doesn't have much to do with your actual driving style, but it helps the scenario in proving that loud music doesn't cause accidents.

I'll let you have that, too. It's better than my psycho-acoustic proposal because the pedestrians can here it (music) plainly and clearly. And I'm not about to delve into how your music or my music affects them psychologically.

How about this -----.-.-.-.-.

I regularly drive through the elongated village of Littlebury and it has the 'Slow Down 30mph type things' which light up if anyone dares to move a muscle within three light years distance.

As an aside, they're very innacurate since they always light up even if I've entered the 30 zone at 22mph. Which annoys me greatly.

In order to comply with their (the residents) wishes I do this:

1. Turn up ICE so that pedestrians can hear my approach (good advice, Prince) - nothing like anticipation

2. Select 2nd gear and then accelerate back up to 30 mph thus keeping engine noise levels above a sensible minimum. THereafter maintain absolutely steady 30mph thanks to cruise control

3. Use vehicle audible approach warning system ie. horn (which is v. loud :) ) continuously.

And, it's really strange but lots of people make suggestive and agressive gestures towards me. Why? I've set my car at exactly 30mph as they require, made myself visible and audible so there is no danger to anyone at all.

And when I've stopped my car at the roadside to ask what the manual gestures represent why is it that no one is able or willing to enter into discussion?

Clearly I've missed something.

;)

You could always use a built-in megaphone to converse with people making the gestures? That could be quite funny as well! :lol:

The same people would soon complain if they stepped into the road because they haven't heard you and you hit them! What about blind people...they need to hear us coming.

Have they never heard of the green cross code?
1. Think first
2. Stop
3. USE YOUR EYES AND EARS
4. Wait until it's safe to cross
5. LOOK AND LISTEN
6. Arrive alive

Ah right sorry, well If your on about speed when I'm going along at 30mph on a long straight road with 30 at the limit and is known for candid cameras I go along at this speed but I'm always tempted to get my phone, send a text, or change my c.d. or something like that, therefore I'm not concentrating on the road and more likely to have a crash but when Im going faster I actually lean forward a bit and very aware of whats going on around me. So I think I'm a safer driver when Im going fast.
As for the types of music, dance does make me go faster, rap not as fast and as for classical, it would send me to sleep!

because I'm short and can't see much over the steering wheel when I'm leaning back, so when i go faster i lean foward then i can see whats going on more.

because I'm short and can't see much over the steering wheel when I'm leaning back, so when i go faster i lean foward then i can see whats going on more.

booster seat would solve this :cheesy:

regards the volume. if its rather loud. ie the bass is making the car shake then i find it more distracting than if its at a more decent level.

Blimey guys, a little bit of diplomacy wouldn't go amiss.

And that's coming from me, someone who's not known for the mincing of their words.

"What does music do for your temperament and general demeanour will be the topic of my next new thread." ;)

Right, my go......

Periscope?

Hayley, more seriously is it that you can't see foward or you can't see the front of the car? Because that's true of lots of us now due to cars having such steeply raked windscreens and rolled away fronts.

If it's any comfort I stuggle to see the front of a Seat Ibiza and I'm 6'4". Bit it's still in one piece, the only damage so far is stone chips and some rather bemused flies :)

yes I think Im gonna invest in a cushion,

Yeah I can see forward obv, but when I lean forward I can see all of the front of the car, just helps with my road position when I'm going faster. I can see the front of the bonnet just lol. Its quite long too.

Erm yeah I do need to know whats goin at 30mph , I dont really know why I lean forward when Im goin fast, spose I can just see more???

Last edited:
You get to win the race by a nose?

I agree with Hayley that an observant driver going quickly (obviuously still within the speed limit) is safer than a weary driver going slowly.

In order to comply with their (the residents) wishes I do this:

1. Turn up ICE so that pedestrians can hear my approach (good advice, Prince) - nothing like anticipation

2. Select 2nd gear and then accelerate back up to 30 mph thus keeping engine noise levels above a sensible minimum. THereafter maintain absolutely steady 30mph thanks to cruise control

3. Use vehicle audible approach warning system ie. horn (which is v. loud :) ) continuously.

:confused:ROFLMHO :lol: :lol: