What does everyone think of SAFEPLATE?

Forky

I heard about safe plate a while back but have only just got around to looking it up. As far as i can tell it is a specially formulated substance that you spray over your number plate, and it claims to reflect the flash of speed cameras thus not being able to read your number plate which means no fine!!!!

It is also claims to be 100% legal!!! :shock:

does anyone know anything about this? is it really legal? does it actually work? do you think it is a good or bad idea?

i didnt include a web link as there seems to be loads of sites about this, just type in safeplate into google and see what you lot think.

A few months ago I spent a couple of hours at the Essex Police traffic centre in Billericay, Essex. One of the sections we looked at was the camera enforcement team.

NONE of the so called sprays work. They showed us an example of a picture of a sprayed plate. Yes, it was overexposed and the number couldn't be read. However, they then reversed the image (made a negative copy) and hey presto! there was the number, plain as day :) The only thing that works is mud, but that is a pull anyway.

Besides, even if they did work, they wouldn't really help us guys driving modified vehicles. You have made your vehicle different, so you are easy to track down. Even so called standard cars are rarely identical - stickers, badges, scratches, aerials, roof racks, etc. If they want you, they will get you!

Don't trust your licence to the hype.

thats the one thing i always wondered, if they could use a negative, but i was told that it still cant be seen. I suppose with all the high tech computer software out there theres nothing stopping them from finding out the number.

although i was also told that even though they can reverse the image and see the number, half the time they don't bother as it takes up to much time a money.

i agree there are lots of other unique features on most cars that could catch you out, i wouldn't trust it as you say ;)

has anyone actually tried this out, or got it?

I've been examining the legal situation with regard to speed cameras since 1992. There's been a load of products available which claim to to render you plate illegible to such cameras.

There is some truth in it - if your rear plate is coated with a substance that reflects light from the camera's flash in many directions you might just gain an advantage. Curiously, the sellers of such substances are not willing to provide hard evidence. They certainly are not willing to drive past speed cameras to prove the worthiness of their products.

It's so sad that those of us who register, tax an insure our cars are the easiest targets. Well, we would be, cos we've already paid and owned up to being owner/drivers.

I advise that you don't use any product that is sold to make your number plate illegible.

If you're challenged and have to go to court you need to ask the prosecution (usually the Crown) to demonstrate that it's evidence is of significance.

Quote by Forky "although i was also told that even though they can reverse the image and see the number, half the time they don't bother as it takes up to much time a money"

Don't you believe it! It took the guy around 10 seconds to read the number :)

Also, the cops are only human (despite rumors to the contrary) and get as pissed of with idiots as we do, so there is an incentive to catch the smart asses who think they can get a way with it.

if you don't like the rules, don't play the game :)

HDi fun said:
Reversing the image is dead simple and dead cheap and dead quick.

It's also dead illegal as no enhancement of the image is permitted.

Checked this with the police

My question:
Hi Martin
Do you still deal with daft queries from the public?

If so, what is the situation with regard to camera number plate reading and sprays?

I assume that any method that attempts to disguise the plate is illegal?

When attempting to read plates from cameras, is it allowed for the police to enhance the image in order to read the number (reverse it, add contrast, etc)?

Martin's reply:

Steve,
Simple answer Yes !

Only kidding, The use of spray doesn't actually work, we do have approved programmes ( Approved by ACPO )on our computer based systems that can reverse/enhance an image to assist in the identification of a vehicle. we sometimes use more than the registration mark to identify vehicles i.e., badges company logos repairs etc.

Pc Martin ROSE
Traffic Law Instructor
Essex Police College
Ednet 53635
Tel 01245 452779
email martin.rose@essex.pnn.police.uk

Thuis guy is very helpful and will answer all of your traffic related questions

OK, I stand corrected. Clearly the law has changed since I last looked.

All we've said is that enhancement technology can be legally used to assist in identifying the vehicle.

What we haven't covered though is whether such images are admissible as evidence in their own right.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Paul.

HDi fun said:
OK, I stand corrected. Clearly the law has changed since I last looked.

All we've said is that enhancement technology can be legally used to assist in identifying the vehicle.

What we haven't covered though is whether such images are admissible as evidence in their own right.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Paul.

I'll ask but, as they have ACPO approval, I would guess they are otherwise it would be pointless.
Steve

You'd think in that case they would be. However, The Assoc of Chief POs is not the law.

I suppose the only way to find out is to wait for a test case. Even then it's fragile as it would require the defendent to lie under oath. This could lead to a charge of perjury.

However, if the prosecution (in this hypothetical case) thought that there was a risk of acquittal on account of inadequate or inadmissible evidence they'd probably retract the lot and ask the court to record a verdict of there being 'no case to answer' thereby ensuring that no precedent is set.

This avoids the embarassing situation when thousands of previously convicted motorists appeal and have their verdicts overturned.

was once told that after spending about 120 quid for one of these sprays, went to see if it worked. (as you do) and ended up with a fine and points.

similarly, while driving home this morning, i noticed a suburu estate with part of the number plate hidden with a yellow sticker. it took some noticing (and some catching up), to get a better view (sorry if its you and you thought i was tailgaiting with a stupid expression) and after some squinting noticed that the left side had a vinyl cover very similar hue to the plate itself and just 3 characters off centre to the right.

hmmm :?

I've never tested the sprays and I think you've just confirmed that I was right not to do so.

What would work, although it would still be illegal, is to have a means of 'jamming' camera. For example, how about an array of IR LEDs that just overexpose the image thereby obscuring the plate.

when talking to some friends about this the other day one of them mentioned a car (cant remember what one :( ) that has a motorized cover that at a flick of a switch covers the numberplate. how true this is i don't no, and i am sure this is illegal. have any of you guys heard of this before??

i believe mr bond had something similar.

can be very easily done at home with a springload mechanism and a central locking motor.

wonder how the mot man will react :lol:

i believe mr bond had something similar.

can be very easily done at home with a springload mechanism and a central locking motor.

wonder how the mot man will react :lol:

Forky said:
when talking to some friends about this the other day one of them mentioned a car (cant remember what one :( ) that has a motorized cover that at a flick of a switch covers the numberplate. how true this is i don't no, and i am sure this is illegal. have any of you guys heard of this before??

Essex County Council's road safety team were out last week doing various safety checks with the police (seat belts, tyres, phones etc) and they stopped a biker (don't know what for) and in discussions about cameras he stated that he had a spring loaded rear plate that could be activated by a switch on the handle bars. Now, on its own, this isn't illegal, but using it on the highway is. So the guy he was talking to said, "that's interesting, how does it work?" He showed him and was promptly nicked!!!

HDi fun said:
I've never tested the sprays and I think you've just confirmed that I was right not to do so.

What would work, although it would still be illegal, is to have a means of 'jamming' camera. For example, how about an array of IR LEDs that just overexpose the image thereby obscuring the plate.

Over exposure doesn't work. The police have very good photographic equipment that can compensate for anything LEDs or even flash guns stuck either side of your plate that are activated by the camera flash.

Give up trying to find ways to beat them. Either find out where the cameras are, buy a Road Angel (other makes are also available), stay alert and look out for them or, heaven forbid, drive within the law :)

The penalties for getting caught trying not to get caught are higher than getting caught (if that makes any sense!)

old-git said:
Forky said:

Essex County Council's road safety team were out last week doing various safety checks with the police (seat belts, tyres, phones etc) and they stopped a biker (don't know what for) and in discussions about cameras he stated that he had a spring loaded rear plate that could be activated by a switch on the handle bars. Now, on its own, this isn't illegal, but using it on the highway is. So the guy he was talking to said, "that's interesting, how does it work?" He showed him and was promptly nicked!!!

That's coercive and evidence thus gained is inadmissble. Refer to PACE please

That's coercive and evidence thus gained is inadmissble. Refer to PACE please

That would be for him to prove, as he freely volunteered to show how it worked. Serves him right, if you ask me. If you are going to try to be clever, you need to be very clever.

old-git said:
HDi fun said:

Over exposure doesn't work. The police have very good photographic equipment that can compensate for anything LEDs or even flash guns stuck either side of your plate that are activated by the camera flash.

Give up trying to find ways to beat them. Either find out where the cameras are, buy a Road Angel (other makes are also available), stay alert and look out for them or, heaven forbid, drive within the law :)

The penalties for getting caught trying not to get caught are higher than getting caught (if that makes any sense!)

Act your age please O-G.

Your views are not so different from (or to) my own.

Plain speed is not really a problem, it's inattention and arrogance that creates dangerous situations.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul

I am acting my age. I'm old and decrepit and seen too many young people killed because they are unable to drive as well as they think they can.

I agree that plain speed isn't the problem, it's inappropriate speed that is.

The comment about giving up trying to beat the system wasn't aimed at you. If that was the impression I gave, then I apologise.

This arguement is a bit of a moot point really. None of these products for masking a plate against a camera really work, and if you really want to avoid being done by the local law for speeding, then done speed. If you are going to speed then you take that risk.

fingers said:
This arguement is a bit of a moot point really. None of these products for masking a plate against a camera really work, and if you really want to avoid being done by the local law for speeding, then done speed. If you are going to speed then you take that risk.

I, too, apologise for going off on one. I do agree that young drivers are often very poorly skilled (I think I can get away with not being young anymore at 37 - sometimes feels like 77!).

The bigger problem I find, which can affect anyone of any age, is attitude to driving. The highway is not a battlefield and we're not at war with other road users. There's no harm whatsoever in wanting to make swift progress, but not at the expense of others' safety.

Likewise, drivers who choose to travel sedately should not attempt to impede overtaking vehicles.

In my opinion we never really stop learning to drive unless we choose to do so. I've clocked up nearly 700,000 miles over twenty years and still try to improve on waht is already a high standard of driving.

Cheers,

Regards,

Paul.

HDi fun said:
[quote="That's coercive and evidence thus gained is inadmissble. Refer to PACE please

The guy talking to the, apparently, mouthy biker was a civilian. However, the police were in attendance and witnessed the demonstration so nicked him. I have checked and have been advised that this is not classed as coercive (a fine line, maybe), so he will have to prove otherwise in court.

HDi fun said:
I, too, apologise for going off on one. I do agree that young drivers are often very poorly skilled (I think I can get away with not being young anymore at 37 - sometimes feels like 77!).

Ok, truce :) Let's gang up on the young whippersnappers, I am sure we are more than a match for all of them put together - at least in years :)

Hmm like everything in life skill generally comes with experience so it's probably true to say that older drivers are generaly more skilled but on the flip-side of the argument I think that priorities change as you get older... savings come before alloys... that new kitchen the wife's going on about comes before engine swap... and safety for yourself and others around you comes before the slightly sadistic and self satisfying enjoyment of driving around wreckless like a nutter.

I myself used to drive around like an idiot, but strangley I look at younger folk thrashing cars and wonder why they do it... I'm kinda losing track of the point i'm trying to make but i'm sure you get it

giraffe82 said:
Hmm like everything in life skill generally comes with experience so it's probably true to say that older drivers are generaly more skilled but on the flip-side of the argument I think that priorities change as you get older... savings come before alloys... that new kitchen the wife's going on about comes before engine swap... and safety for yourself and others around you comes before the slightly sadistic and self satisfying enjoyment of driving around wreckless like a nutter.

I myself used to drive around like an idiot, but strangley I look at younger folk thrashing cars and wonder why they do it... I'm kinda losing track of the point i'm trying to make but i'm sure you get it

Totally agree and understand what you are on about. MANY years ago I used to drag race on the street for money and thought that I was wonderful. Now, I have been involved in road safety and we have many meetings to discuss ways to slow people down. I tell them what I used to do and nothing we are trying today (except road humps and cameras) would have had any effect on me, other than present a challenge :)

Todays cars are safer but the drivers are insulated from the outside world so speed feels slower than it used to and people are still just as soft and fragile.