What do you call "caravaners" ?

Papa J

Wrench Pro
Car
Sharan 1.8T Sport
On another thread somebody replied to a topic and called caravaners 'shed draggers',
but I believe to many great inventions have come from having a mug of tea in a shed.
So what do you call 'em? I call em 'members of the lonely club' cos once you got one nobody will talk to you again.

& as a foot note I'm not including camper vans as with these you can try to travel at a reasonable pace, are the same length as a car, park anywhere you like and have a cup of tea with out paying through your nose every time you stop. ker ching...

So keep it clean and look forward to reading what your creative minds have come up with..:lol:

It depends how long i've had to follow the bloody things round the Cornish roads. The choice of words varies on a sliding scale. :lol::lol:
Just more grockels really. I don't think i've ever had a dedicated word for them as such.

It depends how long i've had to follow the bloody things round the Cornish roads. The choice of words varies on a sliding scale. :lol::lol:
Just more grockels really. I don't think i've ever had a dedicated word for them as such.

Yer I know it's hard. I looking for a bit of banter...
& CB can you explain what a 'gockel' is?

Grockels = holiday makers ! Of course the county needs them, i just wish they'd visit when we are all on holiday too. :lol:
Caravans should be restricted to certain times when they are allowed to be dragged around the countryside. 02:20 to 02:21 would be appropriate to cause the least inconvenience to locals.

Pains in the arse?

Being a person that enjoys driving... I don't get what the appeal of having this bloody great lump tied to the back of your car is, just so when you *eventually* get there you've got to unpack everything, erect a tent on the side of it (awning?), make your own bed, fetch your own water, cook your own food etc. Its hardly a holiday!!

Fridge luggers. They are usually white and the light is on when you open the door and just like a fridge they consume the worlds energy resources. ;)

we don't call em caravans here, normally travel trailers or 5th wheels. used to have the old dome shapped ones but now they are all more like a trailer home than anything else. don't see many cars trying to pull em, way to heavy, mostly the bigger trucks and some even have semi cabs to pull em with. i'll just stick with my RV thank you very much, and before you all call me names :) i only got it cause the wife hates sleeping in a tent and i don't want to spend a week in the middle of the forest with 4 kids and a grumpy wife.

While we're on the subject of having a jolly good moan about 'shed draggers' (I still like that Papa_J despite all the good things that have come out sheds!), the owners that park their 'van' in the road leaving everyone else staring at it out of their lounge windows for months on end should be bloody-well made to pay some kind of VED. After all, skip owners have to get a licence to leave a lump of non-automotive metal in the road.

If they haven't got or can't afford off road parking, they shouldn't be allowed.

For all I know, they aren't allowed - it's just that no-one enforces it, as per bloody usual.

I hope I HAVE offended any caravan owners.

There, I feel better now!:)

p.s. I hope my in-laws don't get to read this - they've got a caravan

Last edited:
I think Chris is our resident Jeremy Clarkson now :lol: He'll start saying Audi drivers are Cocks next!

I think Chris is our resident Jeremy Clarkson now :lol: He'll start saying Audi drivers are Cocks next!

Funnily enough, X, a lot of the kids I work with tell me that 'I'm like that man on Top Gear', which if you knew what I think of Jeremy Clarkson, would be an insult (to me I mean). OK, so I'm tall and nearly always wear jeans.

I'm still working up to a full head of steam on an opinion of Audi drivers, bearing in mind my daughter's got a 2.5 TDi A4 cabriolet.

Now, if you really want a prime example of 'button-holing' people, my neighbour took one look at my daughter's car and said "Huh, hairdresser's car!"

He can talk with his Lexus IS200.

People who live in glass houses.....etc

Saying anything against Audi drivers is against our T&C's :lol:

(Actually it's not, perhaps it time to change them!)

While we're on the subject of having a jolly good moan about 'shed draggers' (I still like that Papa_J despite all the good things that have come out sheds!), the owners that park their 'van' in the road leaving everyone else staring at it out of their lounge windows for months on end should be bloody-well made to pay some kind of VED. After all, skip owners have to get a licence to leave a lump of non-automotive metal in the road.

Well Chris Green you can tell your mate he has come up with the best put down for caravaners yet (without being rude of course.) Cos I was thinking we might of had names like "Mother-in-laws hump" or "Meals on wheels" :lol:

And you are so right about where they are parked, personally I believe the only place they should be parked is in a caravan pound, ideally under ground.:sad2:

ps I used to have a Audi A3 sport, loved it.. I would pay the extra over a golf, why not, thats what you do when you got a bit more money (I ain't got any money now cos I got 3 kids!!), you buy something a bit better...:D