What are the Best Polishes and Waxes

Brabus SL

Wrench Pro
Car
BRABUS SL55 K8
What do many of you use for Polishing and Waxing and do many of you "Clay"

There are so many cleaning products and polishes and waxes on the market it is hard to work out which ones actually work. Are there any polishes that really will last more than 6 months?

What about these 3 year protective coatings you get from dealers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Best Polishes and Waxes

Clay is awesome. It removes bonded surface contaminents that washing doesn't. You can see all the dirt that's been pulled out in the clay and the paint is left feeling so much smoother.

As for polish, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good all-round polish. Quick and easy to use, it's very slightly abrasive and uses fillers to disguise blemishes. Meguires do very good polishes that go up in aggressiveness by number, but are a bit more expensive.

For a good value, long lasting wax I'd go for something like Collinite 476. But Swissvax do some excellent waxes in the higher price range. Swissvax Best of Show is one of my favourites.

Clay is awesome. It removes bonded surface contaminents that washing doesn't. You can see all the dirt that's been pulled out in the clay and the paint is left feeling so much smoother.

As for polish, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a good all-round polish. Quick and easy to use, it's very slightly abrasive and uses fillers to disguise blemishes. Meguires do very good polishes that go up in aggressiveness by number, but are a bit more expensive.

For a good value, long lasting wax I'd go for something like Collinite 476. But Swissvax do some excellent waxes in the higher price range. Swissvax Best of Show is one of my favourites.

Thanks, I am in search of the "Holy Grail" of polishes and waxes, I have tried several over the years, I had always been an "Autoglym Super Resin Polish" user for over 20 years but recently I have tried Zymol, Turtle Colour Match Polish, MER and Maguires, I have recently started "Claying" with a fantastic results, the thing I do not like about Autoglym is the white chalk left behind and seeing as my car is black its a pain to go over the car again to remove the chalk left behind, I also notice a "Sheen" or "shimmer" effect after polishing at some angles when the sun hits it and thats what I am trying to avoid,Iwill try the ones you have recomended,Ihave heard very good things about the Collinite 476!

Don't get me wrong the Collinite is very good...for the money. But if you're searching for the Holy Grail of waxes, it's not for you. Try Swissvax's website, there' some unbelievable waxes on there. Not used any Zymol stuff myself but I've heard good things about it.

I rate the Meguiars NXT tech wax. It doesn't contain Carbonara wax (Isn't that a pasta dish?) and it covers lots of the small blemishes and seems to last for ages.

When it comes to polish I tend to stick with T-cut mettalic which is not quite as abrasive as the standard T-cut.

T-cut is a bit of an old formula now mate tbh. You should bin it and get a real polish imho. If you thought the T-cut was good you'll be very pleased with the results of a proper polish.

I rarely use the stuff. It only comes out after painting, when removing deep scratches or for serious paint blemishes.;) Maybe I should move on though. The Autoglym polish is too mild for the serious use I put it to.

If you want serious I can highly recommend Farecla G3. It is highly abrasive though so just watch out how much you use, how much rubbing you do and keep the surface and whatever you're polishing with very wet. It's more of a proper bodyshop compound but my god it cuts like nobodys business.

Thats the stuff Sid! :lol: I was close.;) Apparently the Carnauba wax can attract dirt and grime according to some sources.

how you doing chaps?own a rover coupe turbo and was wondering if any other callipers will fit for better braking,on the cheap though,money money money,possibly heard prelude 2.2 callipers could go on??cheers

think this needs modding into the right area

but as for cleaning
i have a black motor and i only use Autoglym Super Resin and just bought some autoglym hd wax and have to say the 4 hrs on saturday afternoon and the 1 &1/2 hrs friday payed off as it is really shiny and stilll is

thing you have to use is the microfiber cloth nothing else comes close to that and then you wont get the white power

but am looking into the clay bar as well i see autoglym do a kit i might get that as it comes with another bottle of super resin and i am getting low on that

that a good find i have heard a bit about that turtle wax stuff
but i am now trying to use the dearer stuff as it lasts a bit lobger and gives a god shine

clad they rate the autoglym hd wax top i know its 40 quid but its good stuff i am clad i bought a tub

If you want a good shine and long lasting at a good price Collonite 476 or 915 is unbeatable tbh especially with the winter coming up. It's been on my Alfa since I had it (about 3 months ago I think) and still going strong.

if what happens when i start typing in the dark with only the screen to light the room lol

or i cant spell very well and if i type to fast i miss bits out

Same as i have a 5 year old ibm laptop which has a spot light built in for the keyes, Wifey has a new hp laptop which relies on the screen, like you.

Hi,

I was a car painter over the last 7 years.
What I would suggest to look after your paintwork would be a full machine buff with a product called Farecla Total (Gets rid of any surface scratches), Then another machine polish with 3m Finnesse it. Then go over with a wax called Zymol.

If you don't have any surface scratches, then clay bar your car dry with a micro fibre cloth then wax with Zymol.

Jay

zymol is good stuff
so is the autoglym hd wax is about 40 quid a tub but well worth it
You can't go far wrong with Autoglym either good products.
The Autoglym radiant was polish is great if you machine polish your car with it. Very quick and easy to use if just want to give your car a quick going over.

Detailing routine :

1. Pre wash : Megs All Purpose Cleaner/traffic film removal with pro's foam lance
2. Main Wash : Megs Shampoo Plus (value for money)
3. Claying : lubs : car shampoo on spayer bottle 1: 20. Clay : soft, medium, agressive. a lot of brand, sonus is good enough for beginner
4. Drying : Microfiber Drying towel
5. Polishing : Menzerna range + DA polishing gear
6. Sealant : Zaino system are greats
7. Wax : natural : zymol, swissvax, miglior, etc. man made : collinite 476s !!!!!!
8. Quick Detailing : Meguiars Last Touch

:D:D:D

Couldn't help but notice no-one has mentioned any of the Dodo Juice Products.
I use Dodo Juice 'Supernatural' Premium Wax, it's £100 per tub but i've had that tub for over a year now, the only down side i'd say there is to this wax is that it is very hard to use, you have to stick it in the microwave for about 30sec to get it sofened up to use right on the car. but the shine it gives is unbelievable.

Naviwax/Nubawax is a good wax to use aslwell

I'd need someone to give me the £100 before I tried that. There are also some pretty expensive Zymol products around.

I guess you get what you pay for but I'm sure there are plenty of "snake oils" out there!

I think I mentioned it in the thread earlier but I'm confident that for the money you will not do better than Collinite 476s or 910 as a wax.

autoglym :love:

thier aquawax does a great job 13squid a bottle with 2 polishing cloths

i have been looking at the autoglym hd polish as it looks quite good
i use the hd wax at the min and that is very good just a bit dear for a little tub

For a new car or a recently repainted car, I would use only Carnauba wax based polish, for an old faded- but sound condition finish, I would use rubbing compound to remove the dead paint, a thorough wash, and then a few coats of any good quality polish.