V6 with V8 sound?

FloridaMan

Car
2005 LaCrosse CXS
I am looking to modify my daily driver to sound more like my vintage car. It has a 3.6L V6 in it, and the other has a 390 FE in it. What changes do I want to make to my exhaust to get that sound?

Larger rear expansion boxes, take out the primary expansion box in the exhaust if there is one. Then loot at getting unequal exhaust lengths (usually around the headers) will also help give you a V8 burble but it will affect the power output and smoothness of the engine.

It will get you closer to a deep rumble but a v6 will never sound the same as a lazy v8. The firing order comes into it as well which is not something you can change on your v6.

Current thought process: 2.5-3" pipe. Modify the underside so I can hang dual pipes, and use a pair of H pipes to hold them together. 1 dummy and 1 real. Either remove the flexible pipe hose thing GM put on the current headers and make new combined pipes, or just go with new headers to match the pipe. Go almost entirely straight, but slap a pair of Flow Master Super 44's on the ends, possibly with a quad pipe output. Would this sort of set up give me something close to the result I am seeking?

Current thought process: 2.5-3" pipe. Modify the underside so I can hang dual pipes, and use a pair of H pipes to hold them together. 1 dummy and 1 real. Either remove the flexible pipe hose thing GM put on the current headers and make new combined pipes, or just go with new headers to match the pipe. Go almost entirely straight, but slap a pair of Flow Master Super 44's on the ends, possibly with a quad pipe output. Would this sort of set up give me something close to the result I am seeking?
You really need separate exhausts from the engine to tailpipe joining them in the middle will not help you here, a 6-3-2 arrangement is what you need. A 6-1-2 arrangement will not IMO give you the sound you need at all.

What you are trying to achieve is very theoretical and experimental and will take some serious trial and error. The firing order of your v6 and which exhausts go to which pipe will dramatically alter the sound but you can't really predict what it's going to be until you do it.

You really need separate exhausts from the engine to tailpipe joining them in the middle will not help you here, a 6-3-2 arrangement is what you need. A 6-1-2 arrangement will not IMO give you the sound you need at all.

What you are trying to achieve is very theoretical and experimental and will take some serious trial and error. The firing order of your v6 and which exhausts go to which pipe will dramatically alter the sound but you can't really predict what it's going to be until you do it.

Thank you for that tidbit I hadn't noticed. I was just hoping to avoid having totally experimenting, as I have a bit of a small budget for the project

I ended up leaving the exhaust pretty much stock, other than putting on the pair of Flowmasters. Will post a video at some point soon for others to see. It sounds pretty good with the 3.6L that GM put in that car.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back