V6 old school action

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Ok. At the end of this year I will have 4k in my ISA and I'll be able to flog the Bora for about a grand.

And then it's extremely likely I'll be buying one of these:

http://www.revitupuk.com/car.php?id=722

ST220 Mk3 Mondeo. As far as I can tell nothing serious goes wrong with them. Chain engine so no huge servicing. Might not be the fastest these days but it will handle well and make a fantastic V noise. Yeah I could get some dull turboed 2.0 and go faster but I want the shimmy of a V6.

What do people reckon? Seems to me that if I get a decent one it'll be a performance bargain.

nice looking cars and by the end of the year they will hopefully be a bit cheaper, ive been thinking bout going for a non vtec/turbo for my next car to be honest there are not that many cars to choose from within the 4k budget with high performance.
Only thing ive seen i like is e46 330ci

Lol. I did consider but they are getting very long in the tooth these days. More importantly, the missus quite likes the mondeo but she'd never let me have another ZS.

Pondered E46 beemers but the potential for ENORMOUS maintenance bills puts me off.

not my cup of tea , but dont let that worry you it seems like quite a lot of car for the money

Lol, that really made me laugh, how can you call a 10 year old car "old school", I was expecting a post about something like a 3ltr Capri.

Old school in the sense that today it's all little turboed engines. That mondeo's v6 can at least trace its roots back to an essex v6. Noone does big n/a engines in ordinary cars anymore. I'm only 42 remember. (;->

Last edited:
Even BMW is dropping straight sixes gradually. These are superior to a V6 in terms of refinement but the eco bunch is dictating turbocharged fours.

I want one as well, I have a mk3 and mk4 and to me the mk3 is a much nicer drivers car, Jeremy Clarkson said "every time he gets in an St220 he wonders why anyone buys anything else," Quite an endorsement from a guy that has and can drive any car he wishes to... I will have one one day (Grey looks good on these I think personally ; as does the saloon) They're cheap these days but only 26mpg

Actually a friend has one with genuine 24k on the clock 6 speed always garaged down here in Dorset (03 I think) He'll accept an offer PM me if you want to talk to him.

Yuggy, The car could be a bargain I think, He has hardly ever used it ,Its always in a closed garage, it's performance blue and a six speed with 24k and full Ford garage history. He's in no rush to sell it as he knows he is going to loose so much money on it, He asked me to make an offer but I'm not in a position to run such an uneconomical motor at the mo. He doesn't use it as he has a work vehicle and his beloved pick up truck which he's about to upgrade (Another Ford of course) He's a strict Ford man, I bet the St has never been thrashed either (He isn't the type)
Whats the story on your Bora, It may do me, PM me the details please, Thanks

The only other v6 hatch I could consider is the vectra c 3.2 gsi, which is also a huge bargain these days. Apparantly tho they have cheap, weak springs fitted as standard. I doubt it's a match for the st220 in the dynamics and handling dept, but it's quick and well-equipped.

But it's really hard to find an objective review on it amidst all the 'I'd never drive a vauxhall' comments.

Ok here goes, Check out top gear on you tube ST220, As Clarkson gets in the mondeo he states "Every time I get into one of these I ask myself why does anyone buy anything else"this is a guy who can and most probably has drove any car he likes, So therefore that's quite an endorsement. Check it out, he proves that an ST is rarer than an Aston Martin and shows BMW Badge snobs to be quite stupid. Hell of a car, That V6 engine has some great history, Primary a Porsche project purchased by Ford and completed by cosworth, also half an aston martin V12.. Something to be proud of. O man how much do I want one and a 911 and a motorhome and live in France and a decent Job and blah blah blah

Something that does surprise me is that Jag get 250 bhp from the same engine, maybe the torque is different

Top gear here

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...n4DADw&usg=AFQjCNFZk0-ZhTjwUbnRNIqDVAq8JGAgXg

Last edited:
Can't pm you right now bud as I can't get acceSs to my pc yet. Should do later. Bora is 142k, 2002, se with sports suspension, cruise. Leccy windows all round. Bodywork has the odd blemish but no rust. What it has got is an amazing service history, fsh when I got it at 105k, then I have fshed it too at an indy in rugby that I trust more than a stealer. I have replaced clutch, cambelt, springs, loads more stuff that I can pm you. I would take a grand for it which is less than they are going for on autotrader. I would be happy selling it to a fellow forum user as I know it is sound. It was also remapped when I got it with no issues, more power and better mpg on cruise.

If you are interested I can pm you the full service details, the dealer printouts plus my records of what I've done, the receuipts from it fill a big folder...

a few questions. what colour? how's the interior? when are you looking to sell it how much mot and tax? I'm in Dorset but have a good mate in banbury. how far from you is banbury. cheers again

Last edited:
I'll pm you proper monday bud. Banbury isn't too far from rugby. Wouldn't be selling til mid oct at the earliest really.

By the way the jag gets 240 cos altho same basic engine it has a better top end with a more complex variable valve setup than the ford.

I'll pm you proper monday bud. Banbury isn't too far from rugby. Wouldn't be selling til mid oct at the earliest really.

By the way the jag gets 240 cos altho same basic engine it has a better top end with a more complex variable valve setup than the ford.

Excellent, it's 25 miles I just checked, I'll pm you my number via PM call me when you're ready, cheers

I was thinking about one of them for a second car.... ensurence was £1900 a year with 1 years no claims. I really like the shape, the look and the stance of the whole car. Haven't seen many modified ones though. Is that the 2.5 litre V6? I have read they respond very well to a remap. Personally, I'll grab a diesel model then save up for a hybrid turbo, injectors and a remap, should see some decent gains.

sure.my ideal fleet would be an St220 saloon and an air-cooled 911 for dry weekend fun personally o yes and a low profile motorhome

Vectra 3.2 gsi is looking like a bargain too, 0-60 in 7 seconds, but ignored cos it's overshadowed by the vxr. Noone likes vauxhalls so they are dirt cheap now. 2004 on had satnav as standard. It's the car that copper got done doing 155 in when he was 'testing its capabilities'

Mondeos of that vintage are very nice cars.... probably the only car you every need....

My mate has had 2 of them and I've had the pleasure of driving both, hes had a 1.8 petrol from 2003 and a 2.0 TDCI115 from 2005
I did prefer the diesel one, not because I'm anti petrol, cause it was gutless and wasn't that rev happy, 2.0 tdci was more gutsy, but still lacking in overall performance....
the ST220 should be a really nice car... great handling and feel plus a nice lusty V6.....like I said before all the car you could ever want really...