Unsprung mass

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
How many who fit larger diameter wheels and tyres upgrade their dampers/shocks to cope with the heavier total wheel and tyre weight??

Dare I say none :(

Not anything I really thought about to be honest Rad. Dampers are now a full coilover set and the car has been corner weighted with a track biased setup for the geometry. The wheels are 19" now instead of the original 17" but they are a special magnesium alloy and are in fact lighter than the 17's. The tyres are now a 35 profile instead of a 45 profile so I assume they are actually lighter being there is less rubber.

Most people I know fit lighter wheels and tyres or they work out the same when the extra size is taken into account.

It is certainly worth thinking about and I'm surprised the amount of young drivers who think putting 19's on their little shopping car is a performance upgrade!

Nothing I've ever thought about. Pretty sure the 19in wheels on my car weigh the same as the OE 17in.

I started this thread simply to help people understand that the stock dampers(shock absorbers) have the bump and rebound settings to suit the standard wheel and tyre weight and if that weight is increased significantly then the dampers ability to keep the tyre in contact with the road surface is diminished.

In T9's case I'm sure that his suspension guru would have been well aware of this |B :)

Such items can only help to educate the younger members, everyday is a school day etc. Unfortunately young drivers are easily lead in making changes or modifications without understanding the effects or impact on the vehicle. We have all been there no doubt at some time and learned from it.

Was browsing on another site and found where someone had weighed an 18 inch wheel&tyre and a 20 W&T and the 20's were 5kg heavier so that is a lot of extra unsprung weight that the damper has to control.:eek:

Just thinking out loud/logically here :) The larger heavier W &T combo would possibly hinder performance as they would be acting like a heavy flywheel by way of being slower to spin up and harder on the brakes to slow down and there is 4 of them vs 1 flywheel.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense. That much extra unsprung weight is a big difference.

It's also worth noting that tyres of the same size can weigh dramatically different amounts, the higher speed rated ones are usually heavier but it depends on the compound used and tread depth etc...

Just stick them on the bay Waynne and see if you get any takers. Buyer collects means someone will be paying you to take away your rubbish!