Tuning Tips BMW 316 1.8L

mattself

Car
BMW 316 1.8
Hi there, I've just bought a 1994 BMW 316 1.8L Import from South Africa, Its got no service history so I changed the Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Oil Filter, Oil and Air Filter yesterday. Any tips on getting a few extra BHP from it? It's got a Scorpion Stainless Steel Backbox fitted already (not sure about the center section havn't looked yet, might be S.S aswell). I've heard the cars ECU's don't like induction kits as it messes up the MAFM. Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Matt

Hi there, I've just bought a 1994 BMW 316 1.8L Import from South Africa, Its got no service history
Matt

if you dont know the service history before spending any money get the timing belt done 1st.

induction kits will be fine, just stay away from the oiled ones

All a back box will do is make noise mate. If you want to tweak that engine then do the usual full exhaust and manifold upgrades. If you want serious power then you'll have to look at an engine conversion mate.

thanks for the replies, its got a timing chain, the chains usually get changed at around the 90,000 miles area don't they? or is it 80? i can't remember exactly, the car has done around 95,000 miles, time for a chain change??

thanks matt

check the condition of the chain and the interval in the book.
some chains are up around 120k and is normally a bigger job that a belt.

what i done in my car is put a long performance headers. but before i had to go true the engine with a full rebuild.