Tuning my Civic 1.6 VTEC Sport

boxingduo

Is there a way and what is it if so, to tune my honda civic sport to either compete or BEAT! a Honda Civic Type-R what steps should i take to help make my car FAST!

Thanks

Boxingduo

You would certainly need to do an engine swap as the 1.6 tuned up will not match a 2.0 Type R. The 1.8 Type R engine may be the best option for you and it is quite a tunable engine. The Honda engines love revving so induction kit and sports exhaust are essential. A lower ratio gearbox will also improve your acceleration times.

Thanks but i don't think swapping the engine would be the right thing to do as it is an 05 plate and is still very new with only 13,000 miles on the clock it is worth 8,400 book price so i was just wanting to tune it as much as possible without removing the engine or spending more than 1-2 thousand ;)

Fair enough then. Don't expect Type R power though :cry: Get the head flowed and fit bigger valves. Fast road cams , Induction kit, sports exhaust including a sport cat, and get a remap to get the VTEC to kick in a little sooner. If you do this in that order you will get the most performance for your money each step of the way.

(Price wise I think this will be a little over the budget but you might not want to get the head work done on such a new engine.)

i also have an 05 1.6i vtec civic sport and am looking bhp increase,was wondering if a set of 1600 type r cams and vavles would fit and if so would that make much difference?

You may just as well get the head swapped over if you changing the cams and valves. See what a custom cam grind would cost, this would guarantee compatibility for your engine and let you specify exactly how much you want to do.

Piper or Kent Cams offer a regrind service. It basically gives you a racing cam profile. Clearance on the valves should be the same - they just stay open for a bit longer.