The best engine for tuning

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best engine for tuning up?

I think the VAG 1.8T deserves a mention and I've always hailed it as one of the best out there for tuning but I'm sure there are other contenders.

I'm now quite impressed with the Cosworth YB lump! It appears to be very heavily detuned with restricted exhaust etc... and reportedly power gains can be double by removing the restrictions and remapping the engine. It also has 8 injectors of which only 4 are setup to be used on the standard road car maps.

What engines do you really rate when it comes to simple tuning mods and massive power gains?

BM's 328 lump. Saw one from America with 610 bhp on standard internals.:eek:

The engine from a Supra as well can handle some pretty silly hp. Can't remember which engine code it is though. :lol:

Depends what you want if its real power

I am biased of course so

Rb26 as in skyline GTR
minor tuning can easily get 450-500 but then forged engine needed to be safe But as it is AWD you can actually get the power on the road

or supra 1jz (i think thats the model)

The supra internals can cope with ridiculous power (way more than 610 ) but whether you can use it is debatable as its RWD
The same applies to american V8s greart for power but can you put it on the road.

Last edited:
GTi6 engine isn't bad, on a decomp plate 400 hp is possible (turbo obviously)

Old Merc diesels are a testement to old school merc build quality. I've seen these put out well over 500 hp and rev to 7000 rpms on a standard engine block, they are rediculasly strong.....

LS3's take a hell of a beating before they let go also.

If there was a definite best engine, wouldn't we all know about it and all use it?

We all have very different perceptions of best, take the NASP vs Turbo debate for example! I guess there will never be a definitive answer to this.

True, it's also like a diesel v petrol one.....
A pointless arguement to which there will be no end, and it's like OG says if there was one single best engine for tuning then we would all be using it.

and it wouldnt always fit in the car concerned (I mean without major work as almost anything can be made to fit)

Call me biased but there is heaps of info and multiple capacity options out there for the venerable 4G63/64.
The fastest 4 cyl dragster is Ecotec powered and split seconds behind is the 4G63

I guess the answer depends on what you want to use it for as no two engines will deliver the same requirements and are tuned to suit the application. I've never been heavily into engine tuning as most classes I raced in had regulations so had to tune within the regs. So a case of interpretation of said rules and blueprinting. I appreciate the knowledge that goes to getting there and the people who do hit those targets.

This can never be answered untill the word best is explained ???

Presumably we mean road engines And Bhp per litre seems best .
But on stock internals or anything goes.

Using the above the 2jz supra engine will make comfortably over 200bhp per litre safely on stock internals and stay together.

But change the criteria change the answer

In terms of what limits power for any engine (turbo or NA) the number one factor is the head design. Having ports that have (as near as possible) vertical runs into the combustion chamber is a great starting point. A large valve area needs to complement that, then its all about pulse tuning through cams, induction lengths and extraction.

Oh and a super high compression ratio for NA (16:1)

In terms of what limits power for any engine (turbo or NA) the number one factor is the head design. Having ports that have (as near as possible) vertical runs into the combustion chamber is a great starting point. A large valve area needs to complement that, then its all about pulse tuning through cams, induction lengths and extraction.

Oh and a super high compression ratio for NA (16:1)

Sweeping statement there, there are all sorts of things that limit power, on a Volvo 5 cylinder engine, the conrods will bend and the cylinder liners will split a long tine before the limits the head can flow is reached.

same with a rb engine with porting the head is capable of flowing more than the engine can take -which is a lot

and actually on a turbo engine the turbo is the most limiting factor