The Astra Track Day Car

Okay, so I still have my Mk4 Astra lying around and decided at the weekend that I'd love to try a few track days with it. It doesn't have to be road legal as I will be putting it on a trailer.

It only has a 1.6 engine but I'm not after serious performance just yet, just a bit of good fun. I'll probably strip it out to make it lighter and seem a bit more serious and exciting to the driver.

Maybe in time I'll probably carry out a few modifications, might start with simple power gains. And maybe move onto improved suspension for a better feel.

It's all about the experience with this car, I won't be racing anyone so the more fun I can have, the better.

If anyone has any ideas for it to improve the experience or has any experience in track days and where to start it would be very helpful. Thankyou.

001.jpg

Thanks for the info oz :) at the minute its only held on the the hangers and a bolt and a u-clamp :p but its not being driven so its okay ;)

Your welcome Jake, I have had 11 different stainless steel exhaust systems in 9 years on the beast so I speak from experience. ;)

Bloody nora T9! 11 is a lot! Is the Simpson staying on? Or.... :p

Jakey, the project is going well! I am looking forward to coilovers and eventually a track day when we can see the astra flat out! :lol: Good work buddy.

I think this one will remain Dave, at least until Project X gets going and the system gets altered again to accommodate the next monster engine transplant ;)

Jakey, the project is going well! I am looking forward to coilovers and eventually a track day when we can see the astra flat out! :lol: Good work buddy.
Well its already been to 1 track day and I didn't give it an easy time. However my co-driver had little mechanical sympathy so
He's not coming again ;) its
Going to be a different animal :D

Well its already been to 1 track day and I didn't give it an easy time. However my co-driver had little mechanical sympathy so
He's not coming again ;) its
Going to be a different animal :D

There is always at least one annoying passenger! ;) Have you decided on a Coilover kit yet?

I think this one will remain Dave, at least until Project X gets going and the system gets altered again to accommodate the next monster engine transplant ;)

Oh yes, Project X. Looking forward to that one! Any more developments or is it just a dream at the moment?

Not yet. Thinkin of going for fixed damping though. Adjustable damping is expensive I believe.

Yeah. Its lucky that the victim managed to call the feds

onfloorlol.gif

Still struggling with the exhaust. This is the punishment I get for being cheap and buying lots of different parts from lots of different companies.

Still struggling with the exhaust. This is the punishment I get for being cheap and buying lots of different parts from lots of different companies.

Don't worry about it Jake, been there and done that in the early days!
Its all part of the long learning curve that we all take. That's why I joined this forum, to minimise the mistakes and to learn from the best :)

Looking to book another track day now. Just need a way of getting it to one. It says in my manual the focus should be able to tow it, but my dad said it wouldn't because its too small. He's very pessimistic though and the manual is the manual right? Just need to fit a tow bar and borrow a trailer. Always looking to find people to come with as its more fun and makes it cheaper

I think a 2L TDCi should cope okay, just don't forget the extra weight behind you when your braking. :D

In my humble onion, I would save a bit more money for the suspension as a more adjustable set means you get the corner weights etc. dialled in & then you'll reap the benefits out on the track. :D

I don't understand this cornerweight business. Are you supplied shocks to you to match the weight on each wheel? Is it just the adjustable damping that does this?

The coilover height is changed to distribute weight better and in turn make the car more balanced. Not much point in having coilovers if you don't have them set up properly. With the car stripped like that you'll 100% want a way to balance the car properly.

I'm going to book Bedford for June 9th tomorrow, open pit lane with club MSV.

So if I lifted the front, would more weight would be on the rear?

What is club MSV?
I just looked for bedford but only found one on the 4th, plus it's a bit far for me

Having now seen the drive-by db limit at Bedford and one-strike rule, I don't think I'll be going. Might do Rockingham this Saturday instead if its not full.

Yeah that's pretty much it but its measured diagonally to achieve 50%.

Come Mr. Jake!
Ow do behave dave.
Should be ordering coilovers next week. Spax RSX are reduced at a few places so getting them.
Been looking into upgrading the front brakes to 308mm from 256mm but it doesnt like like it will be easy as my car is 4 stud and these brakes didnt come out until a couple of years after, when they became 5 stud.
Looking at seats, harnesses and
steering wheels but saving up extra cash for them.
Just got a new job which should give me some more skills to attemp more things.

Ow do behave dave.

I'll curb my enthusisium... :lol:

Should be ordering coilovers next week. Spax RSX are reduced at a few places so getting them.
Been looking into upgrading the front brakes to 308mm from 256mm but it doesnt like like it will be easy as my car is 4 stud and these brakes didnt come out until a couple of years after, when they became 5 stud.
Looking at seats, harnesses and
steering wheels but saving up extra cash for them.
Just got a new job which should give me some more skills to attemp more things.

Coming along nicely though. What made you chose RSX's? Are they adjustable?
For brakes, have you looked on demon tweeks, I am pretty sure they do 4 stud brake discs, well they do for my car anyway!

Seats made by OMP are worth a look.

I can get brake discs for my current size but because i want to go up a size there are compatability issues. I can get calipers and carriers easily but getting a 308mm disc with 4 stud for an astra is difficult unless i have holes drilled in them

How about looking at backwards compatability mate? Say an older Vec, made in a similar year to yours, will have better brakes and calipers? In theory... as its a more powerful car. Something to think about I suppose.

Its something i could look into
I decided on spax Rsx because i wanted a fully adjustable set but the price was off putting. But now theyre 30% off for a little while so im going to purchase a set while theyre cheap. Also going to try and get a deal on a full set of poly bushes.
Start my new job on the 2nd of july. Although it doesnt pay much extra at first, once im a qualified engineer it should get better :) which means i can put more money into it.

It's your lovely brakes that have made me want bigger ones. There is a 280mm disc which i can do easily but if i'm doing it I may as well do it right.

It's your lovely brakes that have made me want bigger ones. There is a 280mm disc which i can do easily but if i'm doing it I may as well do it right.

Good man! What did I do to get those brakes on? Sacrificed some gorgeous wheels.

From these...

E36_081.jpg

To these...

135.jpg

For the sake of these...

128.jpg

You know it's worth the sacrifice. My discs are 325x28mm btw.

I personally prefer the new wheels. You can see the discs much better. Seems some discs have holes for both 4 and 5 studs. But they're off ebay :/

I personally prefer the new wheels. You can see the discs much better. Seems some discs have holes for both 4 and 5 studs. But they're off ebay :/

Sod that. Surely that doesn't help it's structural integrity? What sort of calipers are you planning on using?