switchable maps??? worth having or worthless, please tell me what you think or know!!

filthysteve

Car
vito 3.0 V6 diesel
need some advice. I use my vito van for work but I`m trying to get it quicker [don't cringe, its the quick one!]but still will be using it for work. its been mapped already but I`m trying to have the turbo uprated, and when I do I`ll have to have it mapped again to add more fuel for the added boost, but I cover 1000 miles a week sometimes, and was thinking about having a switchable map system for when I`m working and when I`m playing. anyone got any clues or experience with these matters?

Re: switchable maps??? worth having or worthless, please tell me what you think or kn

need some advice. I use my vito van for work but I`m trying to get it quicker [don't cringe, its the quick one!]but still will be using it for work. its been mapped already but I`m trying to have the turbo uprated, and when I do I`ll have to have it mapped again to add more fuel for the added boost, but I cover 1000 miles a week sometimes, and was thinking about having a switchable map system for when I`m working and when I`m playing. anyone got any clues or experience with these matters?

While I don/t have 2 maps in my HALTEC aftermarket computer it has been tuned for light throttle fuel economy for the highway 2700-3100rev range ,in my case with a wideband sensor fitted close to the turbo in the dump pipe bend.

Most people that have 2 maps usually have them for different fuels or a lo boost setting if they are getting it serviced or lending it to a friend/relation as they don't want anything untoward happening for peace of mind when others are behind the wheel.

Re: switchable maps??? worth having or worthless, please tell me what you think or kn

Go for the highest performance map available which the engine can cope with and then regulate things with your rght foot :-D

Next door jeighbour has an Evo with two maps. One is standard for cruising and one is race.

do you know if its a lot of sodding about and time consuming to switch, or does he just flick a switch while he`s driving along? thing is if I go for a little nitrous I`d like it to be on standby so its ready to go, its hardly going to be awe inspiring if I have to buzz down the window and ask him to hang on for a minute! thanks for jumping in though, it all helps.........see if you can find out what and where from him.......

hehe! nice thought but we all know that aint gonna happen! did ponder over the idea whilst blinking the other day, but it`ll still be pumping the fuel in and running on high boost all the time and will knacker it out......bit like I did to myself when I was younger.....

hehe! nice thought but we all know that aint gonna happen! did ponder over the idea whilst blinking the other day, but it`ll still be pumping the fuel in and running on high boost all the time and will knacker it out......bit like I did to myself when I was younger.....

It will only be pumping in extra fuel and be on high boost when you floor it! If you can't resist using the available power you will never switch to the 'economy' map anyway :)

He's got a unit with two custom maps programmed in that he can change to with a short upload - it's not an instant flip of the switch, it's more like that bluefin unit, where you plug in and upload a map.

yes but you don't mind it when i want it to do that! its when I`m cruising controlling it down the motorway and running round with materials in it that I don't want it to be in `waheeeey` mode! had it on the wifes car before where cause it was running higher boost all the time it just kept splitting and popping pipes off the turbo all the time as it weakened them under the added pressure.

It will only be pumping in extra fuel and be on high boost when you floor it! If you can't resist using the available power you will never switch to the 'economy' map anyway :)

He's got a unit with two custom maps programmed in that he can change to with a short upload - it's not an instant flip of the switch, it's more like that bluefin unit, where you plug in and upload a map.
so do you mean his cars mapped, but can have a choice of two others, or do you mean he can just swap between the two? and any idea who did it for him or what make it is? :confused:

That's not how it works.
Just because it's remapped doesn't necessarily mean the components are under more stress/pressure.
You would only get the gains from a remap if you boot it. If you are progressive with the accelerator then you would prob see some gains in mpg and less wear and tear to be honest.
The only time you would ever even notice that a cars been remapped is when you floor it.
If you drive carefully you'd never know.

yes but you don't mind it when i want it to do that! its when I`m cruising controlling it down the motorway and running round with materials in it that I don't want it to be in `waheeeey` mode! had it on the wifes car before where cause it was running higher boost all the time it just kept splitting and popping pipes off the turbo all the time as it weakened them under the added pressure.

The only time you would ever even notice that a cars been remapped is when you floor it.

Not true mate low down torque is alot more noticeable on mapped cars over standard which usually means you can change gear lower in the Rev range if you want to save on fuel;)

I think you'd have to stop the car and switch off the engine to load an alternative map.

Sadly it's not just a push button operation to flip between them on the move.

Hence my suggestion to use right foot in linear fashion rather than binary mode :-D

If you have the right ecu you can have two three or even four maps with the right ECU.

So you might have a standard map with smooth power delivery for the road or for on a wet track .
A much more agressive one with launch control for the racing or santa pod
And maybe one for an alternative fuel say E85 .

Anything more is just showing off

But each map will need to be mapped seperately and as said before you need a good enough ECU and car to make it worthwhile

I think you'd spot a remap straight away even on light pedal applications. The midrange pickup is, in my experience, much swifter and smoother than a car in standard tune.

It's just down to you to decide how much pedal to give it. Don't get oo hung up on ultra low RPM upchanges, low revs can hammer clutches and DMFs. Not quite so much of a problem with a V6 or straight 6 as the delivery is much smoother than with a 4 cylidner engine.

Better to use a few more rpms and bit less ledal pressure. Change up at 2000-2500 is good. 1500rpm is too low in my estimation. My Dad has destroyed an engine by lugging it at low revs

Last edited:

Go for the highest performance map available which the engine can cope with and then regulate things with your rght foot :-D
I'm with you on this. Dual maps means more $$$$$ spent when with a little self control goes a long way.

Have you considered an in cabin TURBOSMART dual stage boost control where you can flick a switch and change from low to high boost??

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...ollers/Dual-Stage-Boost-Controller-Black.html

Last edited:

That's not how it works.
Just because it's remapped doesn't necessarily mean the components are under more stress/pressure.
You would only get the gains from a remap if you boot it. If you are progressive with the accelerator then you would prob see some gains in mpg and less wear and tear to be honest.

gee, thanks dad!!! hehe! I know it sounds nice where I live, but I don't run my business as a hobby, its work! i work all over and around London and I`m constantly going from one job to another, and if I drove `conservatively` I`d go skint! had my last vito mapped and even when I drove progressively, or even like a little old man, it still returned the same mpg, which was worse than pre-mapped.

guys just want to say thanks for all the input so far, its good to hear all your thoughts. like the sound of that turbosmart boost switch. does that work separately to the re-map or do you have to have it mapped in? also having the autobox tuned/mapped on Friday. reckon it should knock half a second off my 0-60, and I`ve been told it gives much better mid-range torque, so it helps put the power down in the right place. anyone else had this done??

guys just want to say thanks for all the input so far, its good to hear all your thoughts. like the sound of that turbosmart boost switch. does that work separately to the re-map or do you have to have it mapped in? also having the autobox tuned/mapped on Friday. reckon it should knock half a second off my 0-60, and I`ve been told it gives much better mid-range torque, so it helps put the power down in the right place. anyone else had this done??

Steve why don't you get your answers straight from the horses mouth and not the other end :lol: and direct your queries directly to TURBOSMART :confused:

FWIW IF it was mine I would definitely go with the exhaust I mentioned previously as waaaaaaay back when I had this done to my car app 20 years ago it was dynoed B4 & after the same day and dyno and There was app 15% increase in HP and TQ:bigsmile:

This was my first mod and it got me addicted to boost and kept me poor ever since ;):)

PS Seeing the restrictive factory exhaust that had held back the boost ceiling had been replaced the turbo was able to boost harder/higher which led to the computer controlled boost limit being exceeded it activated the built in boost/fuel cut to stop the boost going over the factory "safe maximum " so the 2nd mod was to install a "fuel cut defender" which allowed me to adjust the boost a few lbs higher and I was hooked

Last edited: