Stopping the jams.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How often have you hit a jam to find that it was caused by either nothing at all or an accident on the other side of the road?

Let me explain the "ripple effect". When a car brakes it slows down (Hands up who didn't know that!) Now the car behind has to brake, but this car will usually have to brake harder as 1) He was travelling too close and 2) He needs to add his thinking distance to the equation and must brake more.

The third car follows the pattern of the 2nd one breaking even more. And miles down the road after the initial flash of the break lights we have a full blown jam with cars coming to a standstill.

Rubber neckers (looking at accidents and slowing down) cause a real hazard and a fast moving flow of traffic becomes subject to the brake ripple effect. The additional hazzard is that other drivers are also distracted by what goes on in the other carriage way.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on how we can avoid jams - here are my 2 to kick off the discussion.

DON'T RUBBER NECK AND DON'T USE YOUR BRAKES ON THE MOTORWAY

How often have you hit a jam to find that it was caused by either nothing at all or an accident on the other side of the road?

Let me explain the "ripple effect". When a car brakes it slows down (Hands up who didn't know that!) Now the car behind has to brake, but this car will usually have to brake harder as 1) He was travelling too close and 2) He needs to add his thinking distance to the equation and must brake more.

The third car follows the pattern of the 2nd one breaking even more. And miles down the road after the initial flash of the break lights we have a full blown jam with cars coming to a standstill.

Rubber neckers (looking at accidents and slowing down) cause a real hazard and a fast moving flow of traffic becomes subject to the brake ripple effect. The additional hazzard is that other drivers are also distracted by what goes on in the other carriage way.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on how we can avoid jams - here are my 2 to kick off the discussion.

DON'T RUBBER NECK AND DON'T USE YOUR BRAKES ON THE MOTORWAY

Use the "leave 2 chevron" gap things they do work

Not many roads have the 2 chevron markings. Does anyone remember the "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" TV ads for safe driving distance?

Not many roads have the 2 chevron markings. Does anyone remember the "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" TV ads for safe driving distance?

Yeah the 2 second rule my driving instructor told me that one! Can remember him now saying in his scottish tone, amazing how some things stick with you. Yeah I know there isnt many chevrons - there should be a lot more - maybe have enforced warnings that u are too close - will keep m'ways flowing or is that too much nagging?

when there are chevron i find that people just ignore them, thats really anoying when you get someone up your arse i just lightly tap the brakes to make the light go on they soon back off,

people should pay attention to the road not an accident unless they want to end upin one

when there are chevron i find that people just ignore them, thats really anoying when you get someone up your arse i just lightly tap the brakes to make the light go on they soon back off,

people should pay attention to the road not an accident unless they want to end upin one

Thats my point should there be enforcement/warning sign cameras like they do in germany? If they stay too close for a certain amount of time they get ticketed - now that I wouldnt mind.

Agreed. It's another blow for UK speed cameras in not so many words. By which I mean that speed cameras don't deal with any other issues and driving too closely is one that really winds me up.