Stage 1, 2 and 3 tuning mods explained

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We hate to shatter the illusion but they are fairly meaningless terms if applied to power gains and cannot reliably be used to explain how much power a modification adds. There is no consistant difference in part makers between their classifications of stage 1 stage 2 and stage 3 mods. Some tuning companies will just box their parts in packs labelled stage 1,2 and 3 and maybe even 4 or 5. Such labeling is as helpful as a product number and should not be taken as any sort of guarantee of the power gains or suitability for your car.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

I just use it as a rough guide tbh. Even then it's not gospel as different tuners have different tuning packages for a certain 'stage' with their own bhp/torque numbers

I used to always think stage 1 was a remap, stage 2 catback system plus remap, stage 3 full turbo back system plus remap and then after this is pretty much custom with bigger IC, fuel pump, injectors, turbo's etc. But it's still not written in stone, every tuners different.

My 9-3's tuned by JZW in the states, if you compare his stages they differ greatly to say Maptun, and the same engines fitted to the Vectra VXR and these stages are also different on Courtney's site.

http://www.jzwtuning.com/product/v6-2-8-cars-i-flash-ecu-tuning/
http://www.maptun.net/tuningGuide.php?kategori=668&model=3793&listorder=116
http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/vectra-vxr-tuning/info_87.html

^^^^^same engine & running gear! Stages 1-5 completely different!

Massive difference in torque between tunes, but both excellent tuners (Maptun are very highly regarded with the SAAB guys and Courtney have been around for years) positives and negs with both tunes, clutch for me as it slipped on the first WOT pull!! I guess it depends what someone wants. Research is key :)

I bet it's pretty confusing if your new to the tuning game.

I always believed that Stage 1 was Catback Exhaust, air filter and a remap.
Stage 2 was decat and more aggressive mapping
Stage 3 was cams, headwork lightened componants

From there after forged internals, bigger turbo etc etc

For the 1.8 20v t the stages throughout the tuning community are as follows

Stage1
Generic remap

Stage2
Upgraded ic, filter, enlarged tip, turbo or cat back exhaust and a custom remap

Stage3
Bigger turbo, forged internals, bigger injectors, uprated clutch another remap

Although this is quite a simplification of what's involved these stages are accepted within the vag group forums

I still get asked how much will it cost for a stage 1 conversion? How much power on a stage 2 conversion.

People just don't seem to realise what these terms mean!

OK, Stage 1 is outside the engine...intake, exhaust.

Stage 2 mild cam changes, et cet

Stage 3 big cam changes, port work, compression

Mild to wild, in stages of easy bolt on, just a bit inside the engine and give it all you got.

That's how we called them in the 70's with our Detroit muscle.

Tim

I think that we have proved that the stages mean nothing or, at best, different things to different people/tuners.

Best to stick to how much power do you want and not to make yourself look silly by asking for a stage 1/2/3 tune as this will tell the tuner that you know SFA about cars and can say/sell you anything he wants.

I don't really agree, but then you can do anything with a word you want.
That's the point really, most people mean different things when they use these terms and in reality they are meaningless but seem to have caught on and people think when they speak of stage 1 that everyone knows what they are after and what they mean.

Some tuning companies/workshops have power levels/stages and list the parts/mods required to reach higher power outputs and IMO that seems the best way.