SR20 Question....

JDMaaad

Car
Volkswagen Golf
Let's say a 180SX has a SR20DE (102 kW (137 hp) @ 6400 rpm) and a Nissan Pulsar/Primera/Avenir also has a SR20DE, does it mean they all make 102 kW (137 hp) @ 6400 rpm and the engine layout will be the same?

If i buy performance parts for 180SX can I use it for the Nissan Pulsar/Primera/Avenir, etc(basically cars that come with SR20 out of the factory)?

Wanting to get a car but as a student I'm not super rich or anything and can't afford a car like 180SX etc in my country as they tend to cost 10K+ while an Pulsar/Primera/Avenir etc, cost less than 5K...
Also I'm new in the car tuning, not interested in rice *barf* and prefer cars for performance and handling -- a car good on track and mountains.

Primeras can be made to go and handle really well , they were raced quite a bit.
There was a turbo version which wouLd be the one to get as a fair amount o work will have been done

Sr20de means it's a normal aspirated engine. The SR20det is the turbo version found in the SX series car's. I would of thought you would be looking for that version to transplant into the primara along with the ecu, wiring loom etc.....
Oh there was also many versions of the turbo engine. Year and colour of engine cover give a clue to which, red top meaning higher powered version. Range was from early 180hp through to 230hp and a Nismo 270hp version

Last edited:
What he said! ^

Transplant seems to be a great option for a massive power hike. The turbo engines can also take quite a bit of extra tweaking.

What he said! ^

Transplant seems to be a great option for a massive power hike. The turbo engines can also take quite a bit of extra tweaking.
Sr20de means it's a normal aspirated engine. The SR20det is the turbo version found in the SX series car's. I would of thought you would be looking for that version to transplant into the primara along with the ecu, wiring loom etc.....
Oh there was also many versions of the turbo engine. Year and colour of engine cover give a clue to which, red top meaning higher powered version. Range was from early 180hp through to 230hp and a Nismo 270hp version
Well I haven't bought one yet... so I should go for DET rather than a DE?

Sorry didn't read your first post properly missed that a pulsar was an option.
So If you just want quick buy a turbo pulsar. They can be tuned up to pretty silly levels

Have a friend that has a road driven Pulsar with a GTIR SR20DET drop in conversion that has an 11.9 time slip |B:)
Sorry didn't read your first post properly missed that a pulsar was an option.
So If you just want quick buy a turbo pulsar. They can be tuned up to pretty silly levels
So i'm a beginner to tuning, my main question was since the those cars share the SR20 engine, if I wanted to buy/replace parts, will buying parts(transmission, ecu, exhaust, etc) made for one car(eg. Silvia) work/fit for the other(eg. Pulsar, Primera)?

There are actually 3 versions of the SR20.

SR20De, SR20DE and SR20DET.

The De is I believe 130 bhp, the DE is 150 bhp and the DET is the turbo'd version at around 220 bhp.

All good engines, fairly bulletproof to be fair. I broke 2 driveshafts on my Primera nailing it everywhere. The engine loved the abuse.

I wouldn't even call it abuse tbh. I had the SR20De in a Primera, so around 130bhp. 4 speed auto so not especially quick but those engines are pretty close to indestructible. They just rack up mines effortlessly with no demand for anything apart from oil/filter changes every 9000 or so, and a set of spark plugs and air filter every other service. No timing belts to worry about etc.

I regret selling that car tbh.