Small turbo

jahboy777

Car
09 accord i4 AT
Hey everyone,
I just got my brand new 2009 Honda accord 2.4L I4 AT. I was looking in to putting a small turbo around 5-7psi in it. Not for power sake but mainly because I love the sound of a turbo whining and a blow-off valve.
I was wondering what I need to replace in my car to run this system safely. (Got it at 25k miles and id like to have it for a long time)

Thanks for your help!

Welcome!

Does your Accord have the Vtec system? Otherwise this can be costly as you'll need an aftermarket ECU to control the Vtec mechanism.

Yes it does have a vtec, and I figured I'd need an after market ecu either way right? And how costly is costly? 5 grand-ish?

Welcome!

Does your Accord have the Vtec system? Otherwise this can be costly as you'll need an aftermarket ECU to control the Vtec mechanism.

Hello and may I wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you along.

Sorry for my delay in replying to you, we've totally revamped the site, and I'm sure you'll agree it's 1000 time better than before, much faster and easier to use.

I hope you enjoy your time with us, you'll fit in just fine if you are crazy about cars and tuning them.

Please get involved in our many interesting discussions and debates.

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at these threads which cover the basics. I have to admire your ambition though! And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f10...-engine-15003/
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f118/fitting-turbo-some-dos-dont-s-24176

Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend at least 50 hours upwards on a project of this type assuming you have a ready made kit to fit. This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is.

5k for a noise ? buy a sound system

besides if it is a low pressure turbo it wont go whoosh very loudly.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back