Small engines - less fun?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Most car makers are going with smaller higher revving turbocharged engines for the sake of economy.

Is this taking the fun out of driving? Do you like high revving turbos or do you hanker for the return of the large capacity V6/V8 engines?

Personally whilst I like the sound of a burbly V8 I don't mind the screech or scream of a modern engine at high RPM. Honda engines sound particularly good at high RPM when VTEC kicks in!

But are the smaller engines less fun? I've no idea. 2 litre is the limit of my experience.

If we are realistic it's probably more to do with the power and the power delivery rather than the engine size.

You can get a 150bhp 1.4 now that pulls well and revs quite high and a burbly v6 that puts out 150bhp, the heavier v6 is likely to feel more torquey at low RPM but I'm sure will not be quite as quick as the smaller car. So what is it that makes it fun? Acceleration? Top Speed? Traction? Handling?

I like to get to speed quickly and not have to slow down for corners. So for more acceleration and handling :)