Should they make the driving test harder?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
New UK proposals for a longer more comprehensive and tougher driving test include a possible night and motorway driving part of the test.

Do you think the test should be tougher? Young drivers have more fatal accidents, why do you think this is and what would you suggest to lower the accident rate of younger drivers.

well i dunno about making it harder but i say each new driver should have a certian amount of official lessons with an instructor before being aloud to put in for their theiry and once they pass that they should do another certian amount of lessons before they can have their final test that way you dont get the lads rushing through them to see who can pass first with their mates, so their for all topic would be covered in more detail. but as for the amount of lessons i leave that to everone alse to figure out

Yes. No dissrespect to new drivers (we all are at some point), but there are some new drivers around me that are far too confident (or stupid not sure which) that thing that they are on a race track, when in all reality they have no clue on how to "drive" properly they just know how to use a car. I too am gulty of this (use to thnk I was Steve McQueen from Bullit in my Capri) and learnt the hard way (crashed). I think we would have less accidents if new drivers were more capeable.

I also think you should have to re-take your test every 5 years or so. Its law for cars to be roadworthy, what about the drivers?

We've all been there, and I'm pretty sure we've all had our fingers burned as newbie drivers. (Hit a spanking new 206 in a car park the day I got my first car :oops: )

I think the problem stems from inexperience. It's all very well being able to drive with an instructor sat next to you, but as soon as you're in the car on your own, that's when you really start learning to drive, and maybe bump wing mirrors or have car park dings and i don't think there is anything really that can be done about that.

When people act stupid and try to drive beyond their abilities that's when things get nasty. Maybe there should be a system similar to motorbikes where you can only drive say up to a 1.2 for your first two years, then have it upped to a 1.4 until you have 5 years no claims, or something.

HDi fun said:
Stiggy, are punctuation marks banned this year?
Hey HDi fun - I did see one in Stiggy's post I'm sure he was just rushing to get as much posted as possible in the shortest time possible :D . I guess we've found your pet hate? Mine is txt speak!

Back on Topic now. Some countries restrict new drivers to low power cars so what about restricting all under 19 year olds to 60 bhp? I think the problem is inexperience - we have all been there and have all learn't the hard way. Sadly for some it's the last mistake they will ever make. There is also a trend down our way for young lads refusing to wear seatbelts! :?

Seatbelts are cool. Seatbelts are your friend. Did anyone see the "wear your seatbelt" advert on telly where the young lad in the back of his mum's car didn't put his seatbelt on? That is damn scary.

Ask any driver out there that has been driving for years. Does passing your test make you a better driver? No. Does passing your test make you become a more experianced driver? No.

So, how would harder tests make people better drivers? Or more aware? It would only mean that in a small portion in their entire life they drove perfect. Seriously, how many of you use push and pull? Or check your blid spot every time you pull away? Or check all around frantically whilst reversing? Not very many im guessing.

An instructors discression should be how to pass some one - no a one off all or nothing test.

I've just done my 2 yrs as a new driver.

I don't agree with making the test any harder, the DVLA is a business they need to make money therefore they want more ppl to fail. Perhaps making ppl complete a certain amount of hours on the road before being allowed out on their own is worth investigating.

I remember when I was first learning and my instructor telling me that if your a good drive u can spot other ppl making mistake and take preventative action. If all you do is shout at ppl for making mistakes you is just as bad as they are because you’re to ignorant to see an accident progressing.

Obviously the above doesn't count in extreme case but many minor accident could be avoided if all parties paid more attention. It's only my opinion and as I said above I only have 2-yr experience.

To answer Jim, I do check my blind spot and generally look around like an owl when reversing (check my other post for the exception :cry:)

The motor bike Idea is good but I cannot support it as I have a 2.8ltr car and would therefore have to change car or be a hypocrite.

I think that making the test harder would have a nil effect. You only really start learning after you pass your test and drive alone. It's not about reactions really.

In my opinion the benefits of experience (I've done over 600,000 miles in 19 years since my test) are these in descending order.

1. ATTITUDE
2. ANTICIPATION
3. REACTION TIMES

Go figure it for yourself, see how you think

HDi fun said:
I think that making the test harder would have a nil effect. You only really start learning after you pass your test and drive alone. It's not about reactions really.

In my opinion the benefits of experience (I've done over 600,000 miles in 19 years since my test) are these in descending order.

1. ATTITUDE
2. ANTICIPATION
3. REACTION TIMES

Go figure it for yourself, see how you think

I completely agree on the above.

I'm for making the test,

harder and more comprehensive (introducing such things as basic first aid and wheel changing or get-you-home tips).
Also the introduction a "P" plate to restrict new drivers for the first year. Along with an advanced test for powerful cars.
I'm not into the idea that under 25y.olds can step straight into a 400hp super-car with very limited experience.
Insurance companies some time ago wouldn't even look at you until you were over 25 when trying to insure GT type cars.

What do you mean exactly by making the test harder, add more to the test or allow fewer mistakes, in my opinion they should add more to the test like motorway and night driving as well as learning how to control skids and slides but at the end of the day a driving test is only a driving test its upto the individual driver to drive properly

Isn't basic skills included in the test now?
I don't think they should make it harder at all. I say this all the time but Education is the key here. Understanding how to drive is the answer.
Just a quick test but how many people on here understand the principles of "oversteer and understeer"?

TN the "basic" skills in the test are things like checking and reilling the oil coolant and windscreen water and where the horn is. dont think it inludes things lie changing wheels.

understeer - you turn the wheel but car wants to carry on staight
oversteer - you turn the wheel and the car continues to go around urther than you require.

thats basic ideas dont want to go further in this thead