series 4 celica 2.0 gt help

mrnikkk1971

Car
celica 2.0 gti 16
hi. im nik and im new to the forum. i drive a 93 celica 2.0 gti and im looking to get more power from the engine. i have looked into the gas flowed head/ high lift cams route but have been informed by a mechanic that this sends the emmissions through the roof, thus making mot pass a problem. does any one know how to get round this????

also the other idea i have considered is transplanting a GT4 lump into the car with an uprated turbo. has anybody done this and if so, what are the pros and cons of this transplant.....i.e was there any major problems, did the engine bay need modification etc?

any help and guidance on this would be greatly accepted.

thanks.

nik:)

hey and welcome to the site mate.
im no mechanic but i dont think emission as such dont matter as long as they burn correctly as its only the carbon monoxide they measure. ether that or become friendly with a tester

When I had my Rover head done with a 3 angle valve job, economy went up and emissions went down! It does depend a lot on the engine though and I can imagine that a very efficiently designed engine could be made worse with this work.

Engine swaps are usually the best and easiest way to get a massive power hike. Plus it will give you a better base to work from.