Rubber necking nightmare

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was stuck in traffic today for 30 minutes due to an accident up ahead.

The thing is that the accident was in the other carriage way and the whole delay was down to people slowing up to see the accident! There were no delays or obstructions in our carriageway at all.

Why do people feel the urge to look at accidents?

Just human nature. It's so irritating. My dad is a fire fighter and he moans about it all the time cause it just causes more accidents.

I challenge anyone to claim that they don't look at an incident in the opposite carraigeway.

The automatic reaction is to slow down very slightly and this is what causes the queue. The first person to see the incident will slow down slightly but carry on. The second, third, forth etc will do the same. It is only when around a 100 or so cars have passed the incident that the slowing down starts to take effect.

We all say, 'oh, bloody rubber neckers', but we are all part of the problem.

Another reason for a queue could be the road being closed so emergency services can reach the site using the opposite carriageway, or for a helicopter to land. When you are way back in the queue you will not be aware of this.

My response to being struck in a queue is that I would much rather be in it than the cause of it.

Last edited:
Very well said and I agree 100%.

I challenge anyone to claim that they don't look at an incident in the opposite carraigeway.

The automatic reaction is to slow down very slightly and this is what causes the queue. The first person to see the incident will slow down slightly but carry on. The second, third, forth etc will do the same. It is only when around a 100 or so cars have passed the incident that the slowing down starts to take effect.

Another reason for a queue could be the road being closed so emergency services can reach the site using the opposite carriageway, or for a helicopter to land. When you are way back in the queue you will not be aware of this.

My response to being struck in a queue is that I would much rather be in it than the cause of it.

I make a point not to look because I hate rubber necking with a passion so nerr. :p

It's not just accidents, I'm regularly held up by people looking at the machinery being used in the road works on the M6 at night. It must be the novelty of seeing workmen on the road or the drivers inner child getting excited at seeing an earth mover. :lol:

I make a point not to look because I hate rubber necking with a passion so nerr. :p

It's not just accidents, I'm regularly held up by people looking at the machinery being used in the road works on the M6 at night. It must be the novelty of seeing workmen on the road or the drivers inner child getting excited at seeing an earth mover. :lol:
got to admit if i actually saw some workmen on road works i would be amazed and have to take a double look!!! and i would definitely have to slow down and double check if i actually saw some workmen working on the roadworks!!!

I have to say i also agree 100% aswell,well said O.G!.