Remote turbo

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
Ok, I'm about to have a go at remote turboing my son's Almera Gti, what i want advice with is the return feed for the oil, (what sort of pump should i use?) bear in mind this will be major low budget.

I'm not sure I'd consider turbocharging as a retrofit, regardless of budget. Turbochargers are such strange devices - freewheeling totally. And they do need serious amounts of oil in terms of pressure and flow rate.

Where are you planning to mount the turbo?

Thats the whole point, i wont need to make any changes to the engine. so gti power then more power, it will only produce about 6psi boost, stock engine will cope with that quite happily. the only issue i have is getting the oil back from the turbo back to the engine. I was thinking of putting a small oil cooler to cool the oil before the scavange pump.

Last edited:
OK - starting to get the idea. 6psi, as you say will be OK with the standard engine. Those SR20De (E) engines are a bit hollow low down so some extra air will certainly help.

How about a totally separate oil system for the turbo with an electric pump? That will avoid the possible circulation problems with a remote feed

Heat is a perennial turbo problem. My own car has an oil temp gauge and you can literally watch it clamber up over 100 Celcius when you drive hard. It heats up quickly, a few tenths of a mile under hard acceleration.

How about mounting an air/oil heat exchanger (cooler) horizontally under the car, close to the turbo installation? The airflow won't be ideal but with only 6psi to deal with it might be adequate. You'd have to shield it from road debris as loss of oil pressure will destroy the turbo instantly.

Fit the system up with some top quality synthetic oil (not Castrol Magnecrap) that can stand higher temperatures might just do it.

It's nice chatting with someone on the same wavelengh as me, my plan is to try nnd do this for less than £150, to start with, then if the results are as i expect then I'll improve it with better components.

Couldn't you use a dry sump arrangement with an electric oil pump (it can run for a bit after the engine is switched off to prolong turbo life after a hard run)? Use a big oil cooler or maybe a pair of smaller oil coolers and this will additionally act as a reservoir for the oil. I agree that you'd need a good fully sythetic oil as it is purely for a turbo.

Taking HDI's heat exchanger idea using the air charge to cool the oil you would regain power running an intercooler at the engine to take the air charge temp down.

wyze. in theory you can remote turbo anycar but you need to run low boost without requiring strengthening the engine. same as fitting the turbo in a more normal position.

what kind of strengthening would you have to do to an engine if your going to add a turbo or supercharger. i've heard you need bottom end work done. but what bottom end work would that be lol?

The whole point of the remote turbo is you dont need any engine work, and I have a supercharger on the fiat with no engine work either.

i know thats the point for a remote turbro, but im wondering a couple of things, why put the turbo in the back instead of in the engine bay as your not running v high boost? and if your going to wack a turbo into a car that doesnt have a turbo/super already an your looking for some big power gains what kinda of bottom end work would you need doing.

Having a really hot turbo so near to the fuel tank would worry me! Am I being a bit paranoid?

A bike oil sump- great idea, should be more than up to the job.