Red Lining

ive done it a couple of time when i had cheap floor mats in the civic they were bad for sliding up so when i changed gear the mat was holding the clutch pedal on the floor so when i was putting the power back on it was bouncing into the limiter around 7500 rpm redline was 6900

the mats were quicker disposed of into a burning skip

Redlining really does reduce the life of your engine. Peak power tails off before the redline so all you are doing is making a lot of noise.

Thinking about it though the noise is fun :lol:

Modern rev limiters stop sudden damage to an engine and if you get the engine balanced your red line will be higher.

Here was a once in a lifetime engine killing opportunity which taught me something interesting. In an Astra 1.4 increase your speed, drop down to 3rd where the revs will go beyond the rev limiter preset effectively disabling the rev limiter. It was an interesting exercise to note that the Astra rev limiter stops an engine reaching the rev limit but cannot reduce an engine to below that limit!

Dont try this at home though unless you really do want to blow up your engine.

Changing down at 100 mph to 3rd gear is daft. Unless you drive an aston or Ferrari. If you had either then I'd like to think that you'd do like I would and place an order with the AUTO box ticked.

Manual boxes are old and outdated - yes you can get your engine to over-rev by selecting second gear at ninety miles-per-hour. That's a brutal way to prove a very childish point.

HDi fun said:
Manual boxes are old and outdated - yes you can get your engine to over-rev by selecting second gear at ninety miles-per-hour. That's a brutal way to prove a very childish point.
yes manual boxes are outdated but i like them. have droven a few auto cars and vans at various times but hate them. i just sit there and go i want to change to change gear and go for the clutch. this is not a good idea with a merc people carrier as the handbrakes in place of the clutch.

HDI the master of diesel can you answer a question for me a read that for part of a diesel mot the engine has to be taken to 3 times it maximum speed to test for smoke levels. i take it this means if your car has a red line of 4500 rpm then the engine is reved to 13500 surly this cant be right is it?

Yes, I like manuals too. But not as much as I like multi ratio autos. Why have five or six gears that you have to bugger around with (and that left pedal clutch thingy) when you can have 8 automatic ratios or more in a Lexus or Merc?

I'll tell you why I have the former; I can't afford the Lexus or Merc just yet!!

It's a hard life

speaking of which noticed a punto yesterday with a large exhaust revving at lights, and when we moved off we were level pegging on a dual carriageway when he put his foot down and let the engine bounce on the limiter which sounded awful but he only got a metre in front of me, and then his mate in an old clio cut me up.

toss pots.

Pixel said:
HDi fun said:
Changing down at 100 mph to 3rd gear is daft. Unless you drive an aston or Ferrari.

Or a Peugeot 106 GTI which can do 105 in 3rd :D

eah theres suposed to be a corsa with a red top convertion that can do a 110 in third supposed to be but this was coming from a little 17yo that sits out side my flat constently bouncing his 106 off the limiter am just waiting form it to go bang so i can get a good laugh at him

My bike chums reckon that the words in Japanese at the bottom the the tacho say "change gear now" :)

It has to say that. Japanese petrols rev to stupidyhigh numbers and without complaint.

Maybe the words are for the American market where they can't drive manuals.

The Nissan's red area starts at 6900 the limiter (which is a soft one) starts winding the fuel delivery back as you approach 7300. It won't go past 7600 at all (being auto you can't even shove it down a couple of gears - it won't go down the box until safe to do so). Peak power was about 6850, so well done Nissan, got things in the right order.

The hard limiters that work by inhibiting the ingition sparks are very harsh devices. As well as the 'bouncing' effect, you also end up chucking unburnt fuel /air mixture through the cat. This is bloody dangerous as when a slug of hot gas does go through pipe it can ignite the whole lot.

A friend of mine managed to blow the seam welds on the exhaust box in this way!!.

The Pug 406 is redlined at 5300, which is high for a diesel, even a 16 valve one (which it is). Peak power is about 1000rpm lower so it's totally pointless going that far unless you really do like soot.

I'll have to give it a bash tomorrow and see what happens! Lol. I think my redline is at 7000, the highest I've taken it is to 6000.

And to reply to the manual/auto comments....I definitely prefer manual!! Always have, always will.

:lol:

Using the redline is a good way to kill an engine, I know so many people who just pushed a little harder and waved good bye to a con rod through the sump! ;) I'm just curious to see how the rev limiters from different makers work. Vauxhall for example just cut the spark and as HDi says this helps to kill the cat.

Driving to the red line should not hurt a modern engine. The red starts at the maximum safe engine speed. Clearly going to the limiter or repeatedly into the red band could cause damage.

The most important thing is to stay well off the revs until the thing is properly warmed up. And keep your oil level up to max if you're a regular visitor to the red.

Good advice HDI. But old cars are less inclined to enjoy the redline. A mileage of 90,000 plus will probably be enough to warrent a more cautious approach. Maintainance is everything though so regular oil changes should help keep the engine in top condition.

I used to twat (technical term) the Nissan round to 7000rpm even when it had 170,000 miles (not km) on it. And it honestly, never, ever broke. Ever.

Those SR20 engines are indestructible. Even the camshafts are chain driven so there's no belt to snap.

It also used to sail through MOT's with 0.00% CO on the original cat!

But I did keep the servicing up to schedule and I did warm it up before giving it any welly. This probably helped.

My first car was redlined all the time but the top end went. I took it more steady since then.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back