Re-Mapped! What next?

Bumsniff

Car
Pug 307 HDi
Hi all ive just fitted my 307 2.0 hdi with a tuning box its running around 125-130bhp, just wondering whats best for the next engine upgrade! i was thinking front mounted intercooler.

Any suggestions??

Remove the tuning box first - they won't cope especially well with additional mods.

Get mechanical mods in place and then get a custom map written via the EBD port will give much better results.

It's chip express piggy back ecu not a cheapo eBay job, it can hold around 4 different maps, so if I added more mods I would just get a newer map put on that could cope with them, I'm not going for major big mods ie uprated internals, how much of a job is fitting an intercooler and would it make much of a difference? Cheers!

You will need custom remap as said.I would spend the money on sticky tyres,maybe nicer alloys.This is worth up to 8 secs a lap on the average track.Maybe a suspension strut brace or two.Also braided brake lines are a nice upgrade.

Last edited:
dont think much to custom remaps often more hassle than its worth dont like the idea of the ecu being tampered with re sale value etc, the map has been specifically created for my car its not just a bodged generic one its running v quick with the piggy back ecu around 130bhp and about 278nm of torque, got quite a few bases covered modding wise bmc cda, lowerd 30mm, and 18x40x225 lenso rs5's, not botherd to much with the braided lines and sticky rubber dont think al being doing many track days in a diesel! lol

The remap would be the choice mod here. It won't hurt the resale value and it won't damage the ecu. If anything your piggy back device will do more damage.
If you went to a speciallist tuner they would put your car on a rollin road and then set up the map to best suit your car. If you add an intercooler first and then have the remap done you'll see some impressive gains i'm sure.

Remapping does not involve tampering with the ECU. There is no neecd to open the bonnet even. And you can always re-load the standard map for resale purposes. This is much easier than taking off all the other physical mods.

Av already been looking! Lol it dint say how much it is been looking at some other posts n they say around 300 is that about right?

Av already been looking! Lol it dint say how much it is been looking at some other posts n they say around 300 is that about right?

300lbft will make your car go disgustingly well. If you remap to around that figure you WILL notice a massive increase in acceleration. Whether from rest or in one (manually selected) gear.

a meant £300 lol am booked in with celtic now october the 15th counting down the days! it puts ma pug up to 130bhp from 90bhp and 220lb/ft from 155lb/ft! youve made me see the error of my ways! av got a bmc cda fitted too so they mite be able to ring abit more power out of it! thanks for ur help mate, al put some pics up soon!!

I look forward to seeing your pics and do let us know how the remap goes and what the end results are I'm sure you will be pleased.

a meant £300 lol am booked in with celtic now october the 15th counting down the days! it puts ma pug up to 130bhp from 90bhp and 220lb/ft from 155lb/ft! youve made me see the error of my ways! av got a bmc cda fitted too so they mite be able to ring abit more power out of it! thanks for ur help mate, al put some pics up soon!!

My 2.2 HDi 16v was recording over 320lbft and that went like a missile.

thats obscene amount of torque mate bet youve had a couple of new sets of rubber ay!! looking foward to getting it done, al keep you posted!

thats obscene amount of torque mate bet youve had a couple of new sets of rubber ay!! looking foward to getting it done, al keep you posted!

You're totally right - it did have an appetite for front tyres. I have never been a wheel spin type of driver but the sheer forces applied to the transmission and subsequently to the wheels did impact upon tyre wear and longevity.

I agree with all the comment about remapping...however if you wanted a new front mount intercooler you can push the power to 150hp with a decent exhaust as well....nice choice of induction by the way...expensive but the best to go for :)

yeh i did a lot of research before getting it many companies recommend the bmc with a remap, if its good enough for F1 its good enough for my pug haha! Ive been looking at the front mounted Intercooler you need the hdi 110 intercooler and manifold, they fit straight on, bit of a ball ache job tho. job for the future me thinks!

Sounds good...you could use water/meths as well to bring the intake charge temp down abit more a bloke I know has a 306 hdi which is the same engine as yours...he's running 165hp using standard injectors and turbo...afaik no one does updated injectors for the older 2.0 l hdis the 2.2 ones don't fit so thats about as much hp you could go for I reckon

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back