Puncture options

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I have a puncture in my tyre near to the edge so it can't be repaired.

I asked if I could get an innertube fitted but the guy just laughed and said it was a tubeless tyre and quoted me for a new tyre?

Am I missing something here? Surely you can put an inner tube in a tubeless tire and it would become a tubed tyre?

tyres are not rough in side well saying that some are a bit rough but will never cut a tube and wont come out if there is a blow out
never seen one come out before and i have changed many messed up tyres

As I understand it the tubless tyres have ridges on the inside, these will rub against the tube and wear through it eventually with all the flexing it does.

I guess some tyres you can get away with it on and others are more risky. Tyre fitters will often give you the more profitable choice though so you do have to be careful but I've had the same advice and they showed me the ridges inside the tyre so I've no reason to doubt them.

There are ridges on the inside of a tyre thats why they need sanding down to fit s repair patch. IMO if there is a hole in the tyre and you fit an inner tube unless it was a really thick inner tube if would just get punctured anyway.

It is illegal to fit an inner tube in a tubeless tyre. It will abrade and fail again anyway.

You don't want a tyre with damage close to the shoulders anyway - far too dangerous whether or not the air is coming out so chuck it away and buy a new one.