Pug 205 1.6CTI, 2nd hand, safe buy?

cl205

Car
Peugeot 205 1.6 Aut
Hello all,

Apart from my adventures with a 205 1.6 Automatic, I am thinking of buying a 205 1.6CTI with 120.000 km droven from 1986. If I am not mistaken it has an Bosch Metronic injection system.

Will this be a safe buy? What should I be on the lookout for? The seller already told me some body parts are rusty a need new welding/painting but that the engine runs fine.

Is it hard to comeby/configure (new) engine parts? I figure the body parts are easy to get, but the 1.6 XU5J1 is new to me.

Cheers

You really need to know if the car has been looked after. I would expect at least an annual oil and filter change to have been done.

Check the sills (under the doors) for rust and the areas around the suspension. If these are soft then it is going to need some major welding to keep on the road and once rust has set it in it is very hard to get rid of it.

You will need to scrutinise on account of the car's age. Be very fussy. A full history must be documented. A stamped service book alone is insufficient.

But with car over about ten years of age buy on condition. It's impossible to predict accurate prices with cars this age.

One thing I would bear in mind, and it's up to you, of course, is that any Peugeot 205 is absolutely horrifically bad in terms of occupant protection in the event of a collision. They're not alone in this however; most mid 1980's cars were equally bad in this respect.