Project toy... Mk2 Golf 20v T

Well well well..... here we are again!

I still have the Transporter ( not much changed yet though, still waiting on LMK getting engine back in an sorted!) But have also started buying/selling/breaking cars again....

First off was a mk2 golf 16v which cost me peanuts, new fuel pump, couple panels and a polish and she's awaiting collection from her new owner, and im awaiting a healthy profit :)

Then i picked up another 2 mk2 golf 16vs in a nice rare colour ( Helious blue :) ), originally i was going to put them both back on the road and make a rather large profit, but then i decided i wanted another toy....
So 1 is going back on the road, and the other one is my new project car.

She's a 1989 3 dr Helios blue small bumper 16v shell in VERY good condition. she's had paint at some point in her life and up close theres a few marks here and there, but no rust to talk about and more importantly she's never been ( nor does she need) welded.

Plan with this one is simple. Road legal track car powered by a 1.8 20vT engine. Am going to Aim for a kerb weight of 850kgs from the original 960kgs, with the engine putting out around 225bhp and 220ft/lb torque, so around 270bhp/tonne. should make for good fun whilst keeping things a touch more civilised in terms of getting the power down!

Made a start on her yesterday:

Removed:
seats
Headlining
Seatbelts
Carpets
All Trims
Dash
Wiring ( all bar fuel pump loom)
Heater matrix, blower motor etc
Soundproofing/insulation
Cut dash in half ready to take mould to make fibreglass dash pod
Bought set of period 5 spoke Stilauto alloys ( may not clear the brakes though....:lol:)

To Do|Buy/Fit:

90 Spec CE2 fusebox and wiring for all non engine components.
VR6 Subframe and rear beam, 288mm brakes,ABS system, 22mm M/C,Braided lines, Groved discs and fast road pads.
Front to be fully polybushed, New Standard OE VR rear bushes.
Solid front engine mount
Anti roll bars front and rear
Strut Braces front and rear
Coilovers
AUQ/AUM 180bhp KO3s 20vT engine running OEM management (with remap to 220-230bhp, 300+ft/lb)
G60 Gearbox using uprated VR6 Clutch and Lightened/balanced G60 flywheel
Seat Hydraulic to cable clutch conversion cable
Audi 80 2.0 Throttlebody
Fibreglass wings, bonnet, bootlid
Polycarbonate Windows all round exc windscreen
Pair seats and Harnesses
And probably lots more small bits along the way...

Updates will come as and when i get round to working on the car, this will not be a quick build, prob take me at least 6 months in between working on the cars i sell, my van, being a dad of 2 and generally getting moaned at by the wife!

Pictures Monday when i do some more work!

i thought that wheel had some kinda decal put on afterwards lol, looked quite cool

going good atm buddy

Bought myself a shiny new intercooler last night.... Same company sells them ( an has sold lots) buy it now for £180, i got mine on an auction for £39 :)

Bugger, just been looking more for pipework and found a very similar i/c from same guys for £80! ah well, still got it half price :)

wont have been cold mate, they were painted in a hot garage on a warm sunny day, temp was 23degrees! my guess is incompatible paints as i didnt bother with primer lol
Just hoping i can get number 4 to come out the same :)

pathetic update with no pics!

Am now at the time consuming part as far as the shell is concerned.... removing the sound deadening and insulation from the whole car. got a fair amount up already, put into two bin bags i've yet to weigh, but feels like 15kg ish just from front footwells and bulkhead!

went out in a mates 20vT mk2 thurs night, and to say his is "only" 210(ish)bhp and in fully loaded car, its bloody quick! 250+bhp with 100kgs + less weight is going to be a bit of an animal! Might rename her "project pepperami"! :lol:

this babys all about smiles per gallon my friend :)

Providing i can get the chassis sorted and find a way to put the power down, Subarus ( and most factory cars around 3-400bhp) wont stand a chance til at least 130mph :lol:
LSD is definately going to be needed me thinks.

Hoping thats where my mapper comes in, been having a chat with him and what we aim to achieve with the final map is an almost supercharger like power delivery, so that its not just lobbing full boost on instantly at 2500rpm and lighting the wheels up well into fourth! As i have said before, real world useable power is more important to me than pub talk rolling road figures!

Toyo Med/soft R888s will be the tyre of choice, although at £120 a corner + delivery and fitting, they wont be a cheap choice. especially considering they will probably be lucky to last 1000miles a set!

I also have set my deadline.... July 2012! :lol: Reason being im taking part in the 2012 Help for heroes road trip. Basically a cannonball run stylee european jaunt taking in some of the best driving roads and tracks europe has to offer ( inc the Nurburgring, and the infamous Stelvio pass!)

Will cost me an absolute fortune in fuel mind, over 1000 miles with a car that will be rather lucky to hit 30mpg on the trip! :lol:

£120 a corner? I wish! They must be tiny tyres lol. Look into A048's instead, much better tyre.

Are you mapping the standard ECU or using something aftermarket? You'll be able to keep boost level and delivery down in the lower gears with just a decent controller, if you're not mapping boost via a piggyback/standalone ecu.

Only running 205/50/15's :)

So you rate the A048's over the r888s? had heard the opposite tbh, and having only driven on R888's i dont know whats right, Ill look more into that though, as they are very simlarly priced so could be worth a punt! Ill be doing 5 or 6 sets of tyres minimum in a year, so at nearly £500 a set its a fair old whack of cash just on rubber!

Yeah we are going to be using OEM management so need to look into the options for controllers etc. would be very handy as im wanting to up the boost level with a forge actuator, but obviously dont want it all in first or second! gona be lots of trial and error, but main priority is to get it running well enough to do the HTH trip and get the handling sorted and set properly for some good times round the ring!!!

I think you're over estimating the amount of rubber you're going to need mate honestly lol. You will probably find the Yokos more expensive, and for good reason. The R888's are more the "budget" end of intermediate tyres if ever there was one. That's why they're so popular ;) I would honestly say that my Yoko AD08's are as good as the R888 med. in the dry and much much better in the wet. One of my mates tracks his ITR regularily and tries whatever tyres he can get his hands on and he said that he was easily as quick in the WET on AD08's and he was in the DRY on R888! Say no more.

Another mate of mine runs a race Punto in Malta and he has had R888, A048 and Dunlops version (I forget the name). He hates the R888 now, says the A048 is better and prefers the Dunlop the best but then he is sponsored by them so he would lol.

Well if you run direct off the Forge Actuator (ie without a controller) boost should come in much more progressively without the need for an expensive controller. Great for a FWD car and proper old skool style, try it!

sweet cheers for info bud, sounds like a good plan :)

Found the yokos for £140 a corner in 205/50/15 so not too much more painful!
dunno about not using that many sets tho.... altho obv fronts will take the most abuse, i will be hitting every trackday i can get to, as well as regular runs up the strip, and general hoonage! maybe 3 sets a year if im gettin away with rears a bit :)

Wasn't on about MPG mate, was on about how many Subarus can you waste lol....

I'd be interrested in that europeon road trip as well... were would I sign up?

I also have set my deadline.... July 2012! :lol: Reason being im taking part in the 2012 Help for heroes road trip. Basically a cannonball run stylee european jaunt taking in some of the best driving roads and tracks europe has to offer ( inc the Nurburgring, and the infamous Stelvio pass!)

Will cost me an absolute fortune in fuel mind, over 1000 miles with a car that will be rather lucky to hit 30mpg on the trip! :lol:

A very noble cause which deserves all the help it receives :)
If you do both go next year, and send me a sponsorship form, and more importantly complete the task! then you can count on me at least for a bit of sponsorship money.

Wasn't on about MPG mate, was on about how many Subarus can you waste lol....

Ill smoke em til around 130ish mph mate. gearbox is probably going to limit me to 140ish tops for now.
Ill pm you some info on the roadtrip fella. Its quite expensive though, you pay all you own fuel and admission for tracks,toll roads, camp sites etc,then collect sponsorship on top.

A very noble cause which deserves all the help it receives :)
If you do both go next year, and send me a sponsorship form, and more importantly complete the task! then you can count on me at least for a bit of sponsorship money.

Sweet, will remember that! :lol:

Last edited:
Ill smoke em til around 130ish mph mate. gearbox is probably going to limit me to 140ish tops for now.
Ill pm you some info on the roadtrip fella. Its quite expensive though, you pay all you own fuel and admission for tracks,toll roads, camp sites etc, plus a fair lump to enter. then collect sponsorship on top.

Sweet, will remember that! :lol:

I'm not a poor chap by any means PM! But I must say, that after meeting two very special chaps at the last Brierly Coachworks meet in Kent who had actually lost limbs for us here in the UK, and they were still very upbeat about life!!! then this contribution is the least that I can do to say, "thank you lads" :bigsmile:

Indeed, they deserve it, also I haven't had a proper holiday in years so isn't a problem, I just need to carry loads of meths with me :S

extremely.....

Was listed on ebay as being smokey due to needing new piston rings. I figured a set of rings and a rehone is £100 for me to do, so i bunged a £100 bid on and won it :)

But it gets better..... i asked the seller a few questions about the smoke issue, when it smokes, what colour, how heavy etc. His reply was that it was horrific on idle, yet fine whilst driving.... So that'll be the seals in the turbo then :)

Literally all i need now to get this lump in is:

Downpipe
Loom modifying
a CTN code diesel O2A gearbox
Mk4 1.8T clocks

And obviously either a refurb of the current turbo, or buy myself a new KO4 ( sold the one an half i had to pay for the engine :lol:) and manifold.

Tbh honest ill probably refurb the KO3, or buy a KO3S for now. That way i can still see around 190bhp with KO3 or 230 with KO3S, give me a chance to get the car working properly, iron out the niggles and get the suspension/chassis set up correctly. Then i can move onto bigger power :)

In all fairness, in a stripped out mk2 golf, even 190bhp is gonna be nippy. By no means am i changing my plans of hitting 270bhp, but im just going to go about it in a more sensible, phased in fashion, give myself a chance to get everything working perfectly before i take it to europe on the HFH roadtrip next year and attack the ring!!!

I'd still be up for that, just got to plan an engine build so it won't be too embarrising....

Also, nice find for £100, I don't think I can get a 1.9 that cheap!

Need to find me a 2.1 to butcher up... sorry for the thread hi-jack.

But seriously, will be keen to see how it turns out :)

Its a defo mate, more info on the FB page now :)

Also emailing Top Gear/Jeremy Clarkson|BBC from every angle to see if they will get involved. they point blank ignored the emails last year, but hoping as JC himself is a Patron of Help for heroes that they will get involved this time seeing as they will have a years notice!

An hi-jack away fella, im lookin forward to tearing up the Nurburgring with ya!

well, i've not really had much time to work on this lately as i have been busy doing work on other peoples cars trying to earn a living!

heres one i built last week, was originally a shonky 8v ( and i mean shonky, this thing leaked more oil and coolant than ANY vehicle i have ever seen!) and now has a perky 16v lump in there :)

2011-07-11113503.jpg

and i finally got some time to myself yesterday, so got some time in on the mk2!

Spent Ageeeeeeeeeees chipping away at the sound deadening tar that adorns the floorpan and bulkhead. i so far have 1 totally clear footwell, and bits and bobs done elsewhere. Main thing holding me up is doing it all by hand with a hammer and chisel as i have no electricity at the garage.... But happy days my boss has just bought me a 3k Watt Generator so next week ill be getting stuck in with the heatgun and peeling it out nice an easy
Only other real progress on shell was removing the rest of the windows, and marking up all the excess metal ill be cutting out of the shell next week.

Engine wise i have had a good look over the engine and everything looks good not even any previous oil leaks anywhere! As expected though, the turbo is goosed. Loads of play in all directions, so that'll be going in the bin/ebay!

Im currently doing some research into whether or not it is possible for me to create my own hybrid..... I have All the housing etc from the KO3, and i also have a KO4-015, which is essentially the same as a KO3S but with a larger turbine wheel. shaft/cartridge length should be the same on all KO3/KO3S/KO4 turbo's, so in theory the only thing i have to change is to open up the exhaust casing to accept the larger compressor wheel..... Waiting on some expert opinions before i go all out at it, but from the info i have been able to gather it should be all good.

Providing that all works out, i should be able to squeeze about 230/240bhp out of it, and about 260/270 lb/ft.

And i have to say, id be happy enough with that. I know i changed the plan to go all out for maximum power, but after going out in my mates 210bhp 20vT mk2 golf it was certainly pokey enough! And his is a standard car, full interior, glass windows and steel panels etc, so ill have a good 150kg+ weight advantage over that and a bit more power too. will be plenty!

Have also managed to get my hands on the parts needed to run a cable/hydro clutch conversion, which saves me having to change to a hydraulic pedal box etc.

Also found a full polybush kit for a bargain price, so had to have that :)

Just waiting on getting a work polycarbonate order, so i can get my poly for the windows free :) lol

going up today to do some more work on removing sound deadening and stuff, so will get some pics up later!

Did some digging and found this info:

Ko3

COMPRESSOR WHEEL
Inducer: 33.6mm
Exducer: 46mm
Tip height: 3.7mm

TURBINE WHEEL
Inducer: 45mm
Exducer: 38mm
Tip height: 6.8mm
Blades: 11

KO4-015

COMPRESSOR WHEEL
Inducer: 35mm
Exducer: 50mm
Tip height: 3.7mm

TURBINE WHEEL
Inducer: 50mm
Exducer: 42mm
Tip height: 6.4mm
Blades: 11

So as you can see that should flow a wee bit better! I pulled the housing off the KO3 today and tried the KO4 cartridge for size, and as far as i can tell it needs about 1.5mm machined out of the housing to enable it to fit. so i popped it down to the guys at Touts engineering who are going to sort that out for me

If i had a spare KO3S compressor wheel that would give me the best possible combo, as its a couple mm bigger again than te KO4-015, but i dont, so im not going to worry about that!

My Ko3/4-015 hybrid should still net me 230/240bhp with a good map and the right supporting mods so that will do nicely! will whore some tubby pics later!

That K03 is quite a widgy turbo!, K04 should be much better, do you have the compressor maps for the 3 turbos you were looking at, I maybe able to help you a little there, been looking in that kind of thing a lot lately.

Erm, change of plan. All sold. :(

Tbh fella's, im sacking cars off for a little while. I will still be working on peoples VW's, performing engine swaps etc, but for the time being i am going to stay on the darkside and concentrate on bikes.

I was never interested in bikes at all really, aside from an off road point of view, however i have now been shown the light, and will be getting myself a proper toy after christmas is out the way.

Truth is, my liitle 125 is more fun to ride at 30/40/50mph than any car i have owned has been at 100mph!And i can take it off road when the mood takes me!
I just cant find the love or justification at the mo to spend another 2-3k on a car that will never be as fast as a bike, when i could just go and spend that 2k on a bike.....

Let the flaming begin!

Ill definately stick around guys, and im fairly sure ill turn up some car or other in the new year, but i wont be doing much to it, dont really see the point!

Thinking i quite fancy a Honda CBR600, would love an R6 but dont think the insurance company would like me having that as my first big bike :lol:

That's a real shame mate, I've never been a fan of VW's but I do rather like the mk1 and 2 Golf, and would have loved to see how it would have turned out.

I do get the bike thing and there performance per pound makes them excellent value for money like my mate keeps telling me, but.................

Where there something for cheap there's always a compromise somewhere, a bike well NEVER out corner a car, Autocar proved it, but as said if money is a big issue I completely understand where you are coming from, he'll my 306 has cost me loads more than I thought but I'm in too deep now....so I can't give up,

I wish you all the best in your new ventures mate, I also guess I won't see you next year for help the heros I guess....

Of course you will mate! im 100% in for that, whether it be on 2 or 4 wheels! talking of which, there are only 14 places left now, so i shall pm you the link to the forum, you need to register, post up an intro and then find the names list and pm the mod to be added to it.

A bike will never outcorner a car, your 100% correct on that one, however, a bike can still get round a corner whilst carrying a good amount of speed, and within 5seconds of exiting the corner, will be travelling a hell of a lot quicker than a car would! :lol:

Its swings and roundabouts mate, but performance per £, bikes win all day long. A £3k bike can outaccelerate a £100k car..... For me its the real sense of "if i f*** this up im a goner" that appeals. Im a control freak, and nothing gets me more excited than being pushed right to my limits!