Polo GTI 1.6 Gears should be like this?

Jawz

Car
Focus 1.8tdci
I have organised a trade deal for tomorrow (mon) swapping my Ford focus 1.8tdci for a 6n2 polo gti (100k miles).
I would have picked up today but it has a rattling when the air-conditioning is on (but goes away when air is switched to circulate in car) and also some sort of vibrating rattle somewhere near the front of gear leaver or around that area (assuming its in the plastics of car) so they car place has sent it to garage to get those 2 sorted.

Now i only drove for 5 mins and the ride is very bumpy but prob down to thin tyres and it being more sporty.
However my main question is that when moving the gear leaver into 3rd and i think 5th it seemed like i had to move the leaver quite far forward and back (id hazard a guess maybe 15cm from 4th to 3rd) my focus is a lot shorter (maybe half the movement distance but it isn't the quick change gear box in my focus)

Is this normal that the gear stick has to be moved quite far back and fourth? When the car salesman was driving it to the petrol station (i drove it back) he was going over some things and said:-

What you will notice is that the gears have to be moved far, bit like in a transit van, this is because of how old the car is and is how they are.
Also told me that though it had heated seat buttons, they didn't work but said if i check forums it's common and not alot do work anymore.

The gear thing is my main question? Maybe i'm used to the newer 03 focus gearbox but for whats supposed to be a sporty car it does seem alot of work to have to throw my left arm back n fourth to try get quick gear changes??

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :O)
Having moved to hopefully a more fun car to drive, i'm sure i will be spending quite some time here asking questions as just the 5 mins test drive felt ever so strange.
To be honest the 1.8tdci was lovely smooth drive, but thought what the hell have a few years of fun whilst i can.

I did set out for a MR2 roadster but the "driving-in-the-snow" put me off with me having to get to work everyday. Got this on sort of a few hours wim, so hopefully if the niggles are sorted i should be picking up today.

Just need to find somewhere to fit my radio as ain't a clue about radios...waay too many coloured wires going on :O)

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.