Polo exhaust - is Ashley any good

Benchie

i have a 1989 volkswagen polo mk2 and im looking to find a desent exhaust system for it i have been looking at a ashley system and i was jsut wondering if this system would be a good choice ? so basicly are ashley systems any good ??

Welcome to TorqueCars Benchie, nice to have you along. I've moved this post in the VW section where it is more likely to be seen by other Vedubbers!

The Ashley exhausts are pretty good from what I've heard about them - there is not a great deal of choice for the Polo. What engine size is your Polo? A lot depends on your preferred exhaust sound and torque characteristics. Do you know what the bore size is?

i know ive looked for many hours trying to find mods for it :(. the engine size is 1.3 and im not sure of the bore size how would i find this out? i reli want as much to torque as posible reli im not 2 botherd about the sound as longs as its a fairly good note

Set of calipers will be able to give you the bore size. Ruler will also work but its accuracy will be judged by your eye.

meausre the size of the main pipe under the car. might be around 40ish mm

i mesured it its 5cm , ive got a problem nw with my read damper any1 knw any sites where i can get a replacement that dnt cost the earth ?

try vagparts.com
you might need to give them a call but its gen parts normally cheaper.
Have you thought about upgradeing the suspension ?

on the exhaust 50mm seems a bit big for a 1.3. have you thought about a custom exhaust for the polo if things are hard to come by ?

How good are Pecos and Scorpions?

I've recently bought a Y Reg (2001) Polo 6N2 75bhp and I am considering adding a stainless steel exhaust just because I know they have a lifetime warrenty. Much better than the standards. I'm not rushing into anything yet, but I do plan to do a few subtle mods over time.... should be fun haha.

:amuse:

Ive researched ways to improve the power of a 1.4 engine and have found that panel filters (should i use Pipercross for these?) and full system exhausts are the way forward. I also plan to add a fast road cam but I'm not sure of any good makes of Cams yet... could anyone point me the way forward. I plan to take my time on this. I won't rush anything but I like to know how much money I have to save to get these mods as I am only 18 haha and I am still a student earning £100 a week! :mad: Insurance isnt too bad though if im honest :p (£1300 fully comp)! [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

youd be better saving the money honestly mate. a full stainless will cost you around £300 and a gain of probably 2-3 bhp for a cat back system and the same for a panel filter. even with a cam id be surprised if you seen 90bhp

is the 1.4 block aluminium alloy ? if so i wouldnt do much work on it mate as if it cant be repaired. its a very stupid design that means you canf pull the bottom end apart without screwing it up

Rememer that mods like a sports exhaust may increase your insurance premium and must be notified to the insurers. Don't get caught out with invalid insurance.

actually the 6n2 75bhp lumps take well to tuning. 4-2-1 manifold,sports cat / bypass pipe/straight through section, cam, panel filter in ORIGINAL BOX, no cones please!, full stainless and your talking 95bhp, add a remap to that and your over 100bhp. not saying any of thats cheap, far from it, but all things considered there are much worse engines to try and tune.:)

Sounds good, and yeah, I was planning on telling insurance company. I've taken pics now and ill add them to the gallery soon. I havnt done any real work yet apart from add speakers and clean it up and just replace some stratched old plastic bits on the inside.

I just wanna get a few important bits done first then ill style next year, then the year after i might do performance mods if I think its worth it..... I love the car though, the feel is amazing.