Phoning the seller of a second hand car.

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
So you've seen a car that looks promising, when phoning the seller you don't what be asking 1000's of questions & boring him/her to death. So what are the key points should definitly be covered before making that journey to view it?

thread closed then at starters request:amuse:

:toung:
on a serious note i have always found cheeky questions to be beneficial to me!
e.g. the cars up for £800 ono would you take £600 cause i dont have £800 at the moment, do you mind if i bring my mate to check the car over he is a mechanic, do you mind if i take interior trim out/of to check for rust, when i hpi the car will it come back with any results i dont want to here

I always start off with "I'm calling about the car for sale", if they have a few for sale it flushes out the dealers when they have to ask which one.

It is also important to get a feel for the owner of the car, rough owners and rough cars go hand in hand.

Also negotiate a price before you go to see the car. Then if there are problems with the car you can negotiate again.

I like to know what journeys the car has been doing and the service intervals and whethere it has had a major service each year or just an oil change, you'll be suprised how many people think that an oil change = a full service!

I always find out when the last service was, and if FSH really means FSH, cos I've heard the following too many times, "Well yeah, it's got FSH apart from.." So no, it HASN'T got a full history has it. If the seller is honest, like "it's got fsh up to 10k ago but is now due for one", I dont mind, as long as they're up front about it.