peugeot 306dt needs help

joseworcester

Car
peugeot 306dt
hi to all
i am new here and to car tuning but love pug 306dt
i want to change my diesel pump and tune it, at the moment it has a lucas pump
that some times work and other times is so hard and does not move very fast at all!!! so a conversion is need it.

so if someone is by the area worcester and interesded in a good drink and helping out i would be very gratefull.

many thanks

Hiya mate!

Easy cars these... I've just copied and pasted this from another thread by a guy who asked the same questions. Plus I am too lazy to write this all out again.

Where to begin.. There is alot you can do with these cars. Some of it takes a few quid, whilst most tuning is free, believe it or not...

Right, how many miles it done? Any idea what Turbo it has on it? Most likely will have the Lucas fuel pump. Also please fit a boost gauge before you attemp this. If you need to know how, just ask!

1. Stage 1 tune.

Presuming you have a healthy engine, read on.

The stage 1 tune is a term used when you alter the fueling and upping the boost to a neat 17psi - 18psi depening on the turbo.

Firstly locate the boost compensator, its just to the right on the fuel pump. there is a white anti tamper bung on it, just crack it off...Then what you want to do is slacken off the surrounding nut with a 14mm spanner and with a 8mm allen key wind the screw in all the way, doesnt have to be tight, just tight enough... Then unwind 2 turns back to where your allen key was when you tightened it.

On the fuel pump, right in the middle and slightly lower, you'll see a black plastic bung, make sure your engine is at least cold, and get a blunt screw driver and hammer and lightly tap at the bung anti clockwise, this will unscrew the bung and about half a litre of derv comes out, make sure you have a tub or something to catch the diesel in! just before you fully unscrew the bung. And cover up your alternator with a plastic bag or something. Here is the hardest part...

Grab yours self a small mirror and look inside the pump, there is a cam like cylinder thing this moves the pump. Put the car in 5th (Don't start it!) and then with the mirror, rock the car back and forward until a slight hole appears. This is an 4mm allen and carelly try to it the key in. Do not use a screw driver type attachment, but an actual allen key. It's very tight, so use your spanner as a handle like thing and turn the allen key around 90 degress... But I pushed mine a little further! but dont... not yet.

If you dont see any smoke flat out... Dial in a tad more. On the boost gauge you should now be seeing around 17 - 18psi. If your seeing more dial the fuel down.

If your not seeing any more boost then 12psi (Like I was) Then you'll need to crawl under the car and adjust the wastegate manually, which is a pita.

Hope this helps!

hi
many thanks for the help, yes it has a lucas pump..that is in its way i am sure, the car has 115k full service history, when i got the car at 110k the engine was so clean no oil leaks or nothing, but the car was parked up for 2 years sorn, now it has a oil leak at the back of the engine passeger side, i have changed the radiotor the there was leaking, timing belt, alternator belt, all bearings, ball joints, arms, breaks and brake lines, filters and oil change,
also last week i put a gasket seal bottle in..just in case it was the head gasket, but all points out before that was not, ie clean coolant, softhish pipe, no milky foam, no smoke,
i think the oil could be a leaking pipe somewhere at the back,
turbo seems ok!! it works when the car is coldish, when the car gets to temp the throttle pedal gets hard and the car becomes a tractor so all points to pump, plus there is a plasticy noise when i take my foot of the pedal kind of comes from the intercooler i am thinking injectors? or even timing could be a tooth out?

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend :)

Please feel free to have a look around the website, there are many varied and interesting articles to read on all manner of car modifying subjects.

Also, you may find our members project threads and photo gallery very useful as a source of inspiration towards your own very special project!

Good luck to you & I hope you enjoy the forum! :)

hi
many thanks for the help, yes it has a lucas pump..that is in its way i am sure, the car has 115k full service history, when i got the car at 110k the engine was so clean no oil leaks or nothing, but the car was parked up for 2 years sorn, now it has a oil leak at the back of the engine passeger side, i have changed the radiotor the there was leaking, timing belt, alternator belt, all bearings, ball joints, arms, breaks and brake lines, filters and oil change,
also last week i put a gasket seal bottle in..just in case it was the head gasket, but all points out before that was not, ie clean coolant, softhish pipe, no milky foam, no smoke,
i think the oil could be a leaking pipe somewhere at the back,
turbo seems ok!! it works when the car is coldish, when the car gets to temp the throttle pedal gets hard and the car becomes a tractor so all points to pump, plus there is a plasticy noise when i take my foot of the pedal kind of comes from the intercooler i am thinking injectors? or even timing could be a tooth out?

Tried the intercooler D seal? They can leak oil from the inlet manifold too... How the turbo? check all around the turbo and make sure the hoses arenot leaking.

Interesting... with the pump. Lucus pumps are cheap to come by. Having a mechanic check the timing would be relativly cheap. You can reliably run 180bhp on stock injectors, so at 115K they should be okay. If not... Send to them diesel united and have them check them out. Parts for these cars are cheap to get. So often enough just heading down to a scrappies, you can buy all manor of parts!

Last edited:
will check it out the inter-cooler seal, and i am going to have a good look at the turbo to make sure its ok no leaks.

regarding the pump i will get it changed because i already bought the bosh one with the fuel lines and injectors, so i mite as-well changed it, the rattling i will checked like i said i hope not bent valves!!! but i dont think so it does not make noise when i press the throttle, the rattle plasticy noise happens when its on idle.
will keep u informed.

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back