Pay and display car parking whinge.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Having just cleaned out my car I counted 125 pay and display tickets in my car when I cleaned it out. That is an aggregate cost approaching £250 - and you thought fuel pricing was bad enough.

Don't I pay enough fuel tax, road tax and car related VAT costs to get free parking?

If car parks used barriers with number plate recognition and card payments on exit there would be.

1) No litter
2) No overstay fines*
3) More trees due to the paper saving.
4) Less administrative costs to the car park authority.

I think reason 2 is why most car parks use a pay and display method. ;) *I got a £40 fine for a 15 minute overstay in a car park!

Unfortunately wayne the motorist is a cash cow that the government and councils readily seize upon, we know pay and display is an antwac system, we know speed cameras in majority of places are not for safety issues.

That's a lot of rubbish to have in your car...I think I have one display ticket in my car from the last time I went Milton Keynes. How much do we all pay for parking though? In Northampton town centre I pay 60p per hour!

i prefer not to use it as its a rip off there is plenty of parking disc schemes around here that allow you up to 2 hours

think the pay and display in dumfries is £1 for the 1st hour then i think its about 60p an hour from then

Parking down here is 70p for 1 hour £1 for 2 hours which isn't too bad. In Canterbury it can be double this :eek:

You have an 80% plus chance of getting a parking ticket here though. Parking enforcement is worse than London.

They are starting to convert the overpayment into extra time now. I think there was some law that said the overpayments had to be used to provide parking/facilities for motorists so they can get out of this by giving you more parking time.

Its always stupid amounts like 1.20 and I only ever seem to have 2 or 1.50. It can't be too difficult to get parking machines that give change.

I second that! I hate having change and whenever i need some i always have a £2 coin and nothing else.

also I went into town one day, parked in a pay n display car park, payed, put the ticket where it could easily be seen and as i was coming back i saw some moron writing me a ticket and i could see the ticket from 100yards away yet he was writing it! he excuse... I couldnt see it! and he couldnt just cancel the ticket, i had to phone his department and fax them a copy of the ticket which 'they could not read' so e-mailed it to them but still had to pay the fine and get a refund 2 months later!

Hi All,
Well we can start another debate now cant we?
All of us can come upi with at least 1 tale re parking,tickets and fines!!
I had a similar experience re ticket not seen. The guy maybe neede to move his head to the side a bit but....! He too said that I would have to write in to try to get fine back THEN....... his Fxxxxxg machine wasnt working Up yours Jobsworthy
Another time in a multi I was following a car who stopped to let others out of spaces.When I got to kiosk the guy wanted to charge me for an extra hour as I was now over my limit!! I told him that I would have been inside the limit if it hadnt been for the prat in front of me. I refused to pay and he didnt insist. We were charged for a few extra mins in Manchester though.
I could go on but enough.
However, one final thought for you all. I am not suggesting that you are unconcerned as to HOW you park but you do see some real divvy parking?????
Be aware that you CAN get fined for not being within the white baylines even by a little bit!! My wife got done £40 quid just because she left room when she stopped for a van next to her to open door (and not damage ours)

I think I have touched on this subject before.

I'm my eye's, ALL car parks, inner City included, should be free. If the council what your custom, they should not charge for the privilege of parking your car. If all drivers refused to go into town to buy goods, then the shops would suffer, some would close, costing the council money on rent.

I'm a tight git, and park about 10 min walk away from the shops in a free car park. If that is full then I will spend about £20 in fuel looking for a safe parking space that I do not have to pay for, just as my own little protest. I paid in Northallerton once, and, upon arriving 2 minuets late, yes, 2 minuets I had a ticket. As I walked over the bridge, I saw the little Nazi standing next to my motor weighting for the ticket to run out.

I went to Silverstone last year and parked in the field. I didn't stick my parking ticket on the window as it would have been a git to take off so I rested it on my dash. They gave me a ticket. They have since sent out 3 warning notice, and one solicitors letter trying to get me to pay the £60 fine. GO SPIN! I aint paying for parking in a field. I wasn't as if I was there to do a weekly shop. The only way to get into the field was with the right pass.

I don't mind using a park and ride if the buses run regularly, this is the best compromise for motorists. It's no wonder that large out of town shopping centres with free parking are doign so well.

They all say the parking charge is to deter people from using their cars but we all know it is just an excuse to raise revenue.

get a bike
i never pay for parking
there is always parking for bikes in the town and you will always get a space
bad thing is you cant buy much

but if your only going to the bank ect it iis good

i have never been done for pay and display but once i was done for for leaving my car all day (while at college) in a time restricted zone
and once for for parking in a resident/permit holders space. both my own fault for not paying attention to the signs:embarrest:

but the thing that gets me most. is how do the councils actually justify double yellows and pay and display parking??????
cause most this week i have been working in the chinese quarter in brum and every single side street is double yellow and pay and display!! when if you did park on these roads you wouldnt be an obstruction in any way!!

i know its just a way for them to make money but honestly i cant see how they justify it when we all pay road tax so we should be free to park anywhere!!! (as long as we are not obstructing traffic)

I don't mind using a park and ride if the buses run regularly, this is the best compromise for motorists.
I will never use a park and ride. Do you really trust leaving your car in these type of car parks.

IF i was a car thief, and i am NOT, these would be the first places i would go. A sea of cars with a lot of coming and going, you can easily keep a watch on who drives in something nice, wait for them to get on the bus and you are pretty sure they wont be back for at least an hour, plenty of time to nick the motor.

Having just cleaned out my car I counted 125 pay and display tickets in my car when I cleaned it out. That is an aggregate cost approaching £250 - and you thought fuel pricing was bad enough.

Don't I pay enough fuel tax, road tax and car related VAT costs to get free parking?

If car parks used barriers with number plate recognition and card payments on exit there would be.

1) No litter
2) No overstay fines*
3) More trees due to the paper saving.
4) Less administrative costs to the car park authority.

I think reason 2 is why most car parks use a pay and display method. ;) *I got a £40 fine for a 15 minute overstay in a car park!

Eurgh Dover is a Bloody rip off! as it is £1.20 per hour! Minimum the other day Got a Ticket for being 10 minutes over on the ticket, Traffic wardens are nothing but a bunch of Nazi's and Need shooting.

I mean not being funny where In dover can you park if you live in the town with out having to pay? Its rediculous we pay council tax and what not it needs to be boycotted or petitioned on the government website

Last edited:
Eurgh Dover is a Bloody rip off! as it is £1.20 per hour! Minimum the other day Got a Ticket for being 10 minutes over on the ticket, Traffic wardens are nothing but a bunch of Nazi's and Need shooting.

I mean not being funny where In dover can you park if you live in the town with out having to pay? Its rediculous we pay council tax and what not it needs to be boycotted or petitioned on the government website

I see where your coming from, it's like being mugged but without the associated violence!

Posts and threads never get stale so bump away!

Our local traffic wardens are the most efficious and inflexible i've ever seen in the whole of the UK.

In my office at the town our delivery drivers often get tickets for parking up briefly, but there is literally nowhere else for them to park and the wardens won't even give them 5 minutes to unload and deliver!

Even London is not as bad as it is down our way.

I got a ticket for being 5 minutes over the time on my Parking ticket! 5 MINUTES!

Posts and threads never get stale so bump away!

That's very true, but just remember to glance at the date to see if you comment might still have any relevance! I had a member on here a while ago who was very interested in making an offer on a car for sale from summer 2010 :lol: