Newbie with a question I cant find an answer for. :)

Baldyman

Car
Focus 1.8 TDCI
Hi all,
You all seem like a knowledgeable lot (creep, creep), so I'm looking for an answer to a question about a vacuum pump on a Focus 1.8 tdci.

I'm not sure how a vacuum pump works, but on my wifes car the pipe that comes out of the vacuum pump and goes to the brake servo has an oil leak at the union of the pipe and pump. I've seen a few threads where this has been successfully sealed and I don't doubt I can seal the one on my wifes car. What I want to know is should there be oil there to leak? I thought it was sucking air to create a vacuum and if so why is it forcing oil out? The brakes work fine but I want to know if there should be oil in there or not so that I know whether to replace the pump or not or just seal the leak?
Any help would be appreciated as both the ford forums I use have drawn a blank.
Ta
Russ

Greetings Baldyman and welcome to our TorqueCars forum buddy :)

I am unable to answer your question directly, but someone will be along to help you I am sure ;)

With something like brakes I wouldn't post on a forum but go straight to a brake expert post haste.

The brakes are ok it's just this oil. it's not a bit of oil its a fair bit of oil. Thanks for the replies though. :)

Hello it's great to meet you. You'll love the forums and site, I spend loads of time on here and it gets quite addictive.

Are the oil levels dropping much? Are you losing any brake fluid?

Fluids ok. Not mush oil loss but a lot of mess. I just dont see why there should be oil on the vacuum side of the pump. Yeah the cam driven side but surely there would be a seal before the vacuum side or am I missing something?

It could be the O Ring between the head and the pump that is leaking oil. Blocking the leak externally may just allow oil to build up where you don't want it to be.

Oh and may I wish you a warm welcome to our site, it's good to have you along. Please join in our many debates, polls and discussions your input is positively encouraged.

The oil is in the vacuum pump and coming out of the junction of the vacuum pipe and the pump. Thats why I'm wondering, I thought there should be an air vacuum in the pipe not oil pumping out.????

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back