New tyres - Avon ZV5 - opinions

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I need to get all four tyres replaced in the next couple of months, certainly before late Autumn.

I'm very happy with Conti, Michelin and Bridgestone but the economy, being what it is at the moment, I'm considering another set of Barum Bravuris 2's all round. These have proven to be excellent tyres for handling, comfort and quiteness but they're going to be off the car after little more than 15,000 miles.

I've been told that Avon's ZV5 is good. Has anyone used these? My fitment is 225/55/16 95/96W.

Never used them personally, but a mate of mine has some avons on his passat and he quite likes them, he's doesn't really do b road racing but he doesn't drive like a granny either, but he does a lot of miles and they've lasted well.

I'm not sure which Avon's they are though...

They'd probably suit me well then provided they ride quietly. I'm not a racer but I do like prodigious wet and dry grip, something the Barum Bravuris 2's do very well indeed.

Not that I'm unhappy with the Barums (made by Conti) but I just like the idea of a change.

Something to metion, Uniroyal Rainsports 2's are supposed to be brilliant tyres for the money.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s293p0

have a look there, it's where I get my tyres from as they tend to be well priced, however they only deliver them, they don't fit.

I can also personally recommend Hankook and Yokohama,
Yokohama's for your size are going to bemega money but Hankooks appear to be more reasonably priced. My hankooks were quiet, offered good grip in the dry and excellent wet grip and braking, my cars doesn't have ABS or any other forms of driving aids though.

Yokohama can be had for about £120 each. But I have seen Conti Premium Contact 2 at just £132 each fitted!!! This is a bit of a bargain.

i had zv3's on my 205gti and they where great tyres gripped well in the wet and dry. BUT lift of oversteer was easily provoked in the wet good times:bigsmile:

LO oversteer is not really within the gamut of my driving style and probably just about impossible to provoke in a RWD car with full blown stability management.