New Michelin Tyre Design

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Firstly, my apologies if this has been posted on here before! but I had these pictures emailed over to me last night about a radical new tyre from Michelin, it is apparently going into production some time this year!

Just thought I would post it and gauge reactions ;)

seethroughtyre.jpg

seethroughtyre1.jpg

This is an old idea, saw it a few years ago, it never took off I think because it is so different. I know it's puncture proof but how would you avoid getting crap in the vanes?

I thought so but needed to show it just in case! I suppose it is back to the drawing board for Michelin then, although the email alleges it will go into production this year. Rather strange I thought, something this radical and yet I have not seen it on any news programmes or inside magazines.

I think the final production version will have conventional walls. It is a good move from a performance point of view as it allows a lot more control over the flexing and other forces the tyre is subjected to. There will also be less roll on cornering in this tyre and the ride can be smoother than an air filled one.

If they do go mainstream I'll consider them, although I don't want to have to change my alloys though.

It looks like a good idea in principle. Radical is not a bad thing. Let's face it, the first time someone suggested a pneumatic tyre over a solid one they were probably ridiculed.

With a sidewall fitted purely for cosmetic reasons (and to prevent dirt ingress) the looks would cease to be an issue.

Seen that some time ago too. Seems a great concept but not so sure unless it had been tested to death. Heat would be a concern coupled with the stresses across the mounts of those flexing vanes. Yes it would need to be enclosed to stop ingress.

I think i follow. Still wouldn't mind giving them a try though if the was right. would like to hear more about them, maybe a review or some description. Bound to be better than those silly run flat tyres.

I think i follow. Still wouldn't mind giving them a try though if the was right. would like to hear more about them, maybe a review or some description. Bound to be better than those silly run flat tyres.

None of us will know for sure if they're better than run flats until we drive upon them for a year or two.

shurley it would have to be fixed to the wheel somehow? In a normal tyre the air pressure stops the wheel rotating inside the tyre, but what would stop this?

Butt ugly if you ask me but I suppose it is progress. The wheel has been around for a fair while now and it probably is time to reinvent it.

Why haven't caterpillar tracks caught on with cars?

Butt ugly if you ask me but I suppose it is progress. The wheel has been around for a fair while now and it probably is time to reinvent it.

Why haven't caterpillar tracks caught on with cars?

Steering on tarmac is a possible issue :)

Tanks will certainly steer on tarmac roads but they tend to leave a trail of destruction behind them.

Not sure why you put in the humor section, as in the future. With "air pressure" on the right is important for the economy and performance.