New Member wanting to learn-E550 mods!

westcott

Tuner
Car
E550 AMG Sport P2
Hi,

Was doing a google search and ran across this site. Always looking to learn from others with practical experience and similar interests. Just bought an E550 with the sport AMG package in Iridium Silver Metallic. Hope I can learn more about what performance solutions provide the best bang for the buck and who provides these solutions. Look forward to spending time here and thanks in advance for your advice and input.

Hi there and a warm welcome to TorqueCars, good to have you along. What's the tuning scene like in Houston? What power figure are you aiming at? You'll have to post up some pics for us when you get to 10 posts.;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to TorqueCars, good to have you along. What's the tuning scene like in Houston? What power figure are you aiming at? You'll have to post up some pics for us when you get to 10 posts.;)

First, let me thank you for your reply. Houston is a car lovers Mecca. The good weather and lack of snow keeps the cars in very good shape over the years. Salt is not an issue. The population density makes it the third or fourth largest city in the States and a central air and shipping port. Everything passes through Houston. We have something for everyone. Musclecars from the 60's and 70's, imports, drag racing (one of the fastest tracks in the world due to near sea level elevation), indy car events, circle track, monster trucks, SEMA, etc. Truly is a great place to live and drive.

The E550 starts out pretty healthy, as is. 5.5 liter putting out 382HP and 390ft/lb of torque. This gives it a 4.8 second run from 0-60 mph and a 13.4 second dash to 108mph at the end of the quarter mile.

I am shooting for 525HP and 500ft/lbs of torque, 4 second 0-60mph and a 12 second quarter mile. I am told a limited slip differential, a supercharger, and an ecu upgrade will get me there. I am trying to avoid exhaust work that would make the car too loud or not comply with emission regulations. I still want to keep the luxury aspect of this four door sedan.

Kleeman and Renntech seem to be the common choices but there has to be other LSD solutions for my car that are more cost effective. Same with ECU upgrades. I also want to avoid having to pay someone to change my ECU back every time I take it in for service. I may have to get friendly with a good mechanic to make it happen.

Any suggestions from the group are welcome and thanks again for your response and interest.

Welcome to Torque Cars buddy. :D

Thanks turbonutter69. It is great to see cars from the other side of the pond. We Amercians tend to think we are the only ones that make cars (typical arrogance disliked in Europe). Hope to learn more about what other car nuts are doing and what cars are favored for performance.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

hey and welcome to the site mate.

Thanks for taking the time to say hi. It is most appreciated.

I also have a 91 Dodge Stealth ES with a 3.0 Liter 24VDOHC. I am the original owner. It has had some minor mods like upgraded Addco sway bars, Stillen brake rotors and pads, stainless steel brake lines and quick bleed fittings, Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, 3SX headers and hi performance catalytic converter. Also sports a cold air induction system, modified fuel rails, custom aluminum screen (windshield) vents, Alpine stereo driving MB Quart speakers and Kicker subwoofer driven by a Kenwood amp. Also uses a Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Is a blast to drive and handles great but it could use more power. Sitting at around 240hp but the car is fairly light by todays standards.

The E550 makes it look like it is standing still though so I am eventually going to have to do something about that.

As I find time, I will see what people like you are driving and see if I can be of any assistance. Either helping acquire parts or provide resources of information. I have been restoring cars since 1979 with two Corvettes, one Olds 442, one Camaro, and one Chevy pick up to my credit.

Thanks again.

:lol: You could take a couple of wheels off the E550! (It's cheaper than uprading your stealth!;)

I thought about it but decided better of it. I have enough posts so I thought I would put up the requested photo.

Should be in the gallery, as well.

119254a36a6a0a3a1d.jpg

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back