New guy with first turbo car (Maryland, US)

Burl

Car
2009 Audi A3 2.0TQ
Hi all, just signed up cause I bought a 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro with 112,000 Miles. Owned it 1 day and am having a turbo back Magnaflow exhaust installed next week. My mechanic is going to look it over good too.

Any suggestions on what to have done or checked out. I read the post about cam belt and traveler monitoring for wear, which led me to signing up.

Hi and welcome :)
You are on the right path as IMO the big bore exhaust is the 1st mod that should be carried out as turbos need ZERO back pressure post the turbine housing on any turboed car for the best result.|B

I would advise that you have the car dynoed before and after to get an accurate increase in power as well as the difference in the boost rise/curve.

I am unsure if the EMS has a self learning process as the fuel and ignition maps may need tweaking to get the best result from the new exhaust system.

Your impressions on the result would be welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. No easy access to Dyno, but I’ll be happy to share my impressions. I was also told to just disconnect the battery and mapping would not be necessary; though I’m sure additional increases could be had.

Thinking about also replacing spark plugs with something higher-end too. Should I do it at the same time? Any recommended plug brands or materials?

Hi Burl the factory recommended plug heat range should be fine But you may want to remove them to check the colors as you may need to go 1 step colder.

Just use a quality brand plug or you can use a V earth electrode or a fine wire NGK Iridium. I have used both with no problems.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

Make sure oil changes are done regularly and with proper synthetic oil, not the auto part store popular brand stuff either!

Remap it, it's just crying out for you to use all the potential power on offer.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

2009 A3 2.0t Quattro, 112,000 Miles

Parts upgrades list:
Turbo back Magnaflow exhaust
K&N air filter replaced stock unit
Stock plugs - NGK Lasers

Sound is awesome - deep and throaty. Just loud enough and not embarrassing in my developed neighborhood.

Performance is a noticeable increase in torque and better manner (idol, easy starts, etc).

I’m going to share this ride and teach my 16 year old son on this car, so more than enough upgrades for now.

Thanks to all for their posts and sharing, entertaining newbie questions. Very happy with my new (broken-in) turbo!

2009 A3 2.0t Quattro, 112,000 Miles

Parts upgrades list:
Turbo back Magnaflow exhaust
K&N air filter replaced stock unit
Stock plugs - NGK Lasers

Sound is awesome - deep and throaty. Just loud enough and not embarrassing in my developed neighborhood.

Performance is a noticeable increase in torque and better manner (idol, easy starts, etc).

I’m going to share this ride and teach my 16 year old son on this car, so more than enough upgrades for now.

Thanks to all for their posts and sharing, entertaining newbie questions. Very happy with my new (broken-in) turbo!

I’m from Maryland! Glad to see more car enthusiasts in the area. I’m coming from driveaccord.net....Not many Marylanders there

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back