New Engine - Oil Level..

RobBentley

The Torque Meister
Car
Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
Hi Guys.

Driving home today I get a 'Check Oil Level' on the MFD. Not a 'bing bing, red background, warning message, just a yellow background silent 'Check'.

Anyway - finished my journey and pulled out the dip stick and it is low. It's on the stick, but 2-3mm below the minimum.

Is this normal for a new engine or should I be phoning VW customer assistance? I've never had anything from new before...!!

I bought it with 151 miles on the clock, and my bad, I didn't check the level when I got it. It's now done 4700 miles which include a good few drags up SantaPod around the 4000 mile mark!

Cheers,

Well the book says the oil consumption could be "higher than normal" during the first 3000 miles :) - Put my mind at rest a little, but, "higher than normal!", I can't say any of my other cars have ever used ANY between services!

It's probably just down to evaporation. VW has sometimes used semi-synthetics for the factory fill to encourage some cylinder ring/bore abrasion to speed the process [of running in] hence the EDIT

Semi oils will evaporate more readily than full synthetics. Fully synthetics will do so as well but to a lesser degree.

If you check the engine straight after a journey the stick will read lower than it would cold because there's oil all around the engine internals.

So - don't worry, no damage will have occurred, that's a promise.

You must, however, check again cold and the top up with EXACTLY THE SAME OIL - VW will be able to advise and supply it.

Last edited:
I recommend a full oil and filter change on new cars/new engines after a few months anyway. Book it in for one if not there are loads of metal particles whizzing around in your oil at the moment.

Has it had it's post break in service done?

Post break-in service? You what...

Service book says first service is at 10'000 miles... or when the MFD display says so...

Think I'll contact the local garage I use tomorrow and get it booked in for an oil and filter change. Certainly can't hurt!

Lots of cars now use long break-in intervals. Some as much as 30,000 miles! Personally I think this is too long. Bear in mind that it does keep the published TCO figures down for fleet operators' convenience.

Most of those will keep cars no longer than 4 years and generally for not much over 90,000 miles. Which is fine because they're covered by warranty but doesn't help the second user, or the new private buyer who plans to keep the car for far longer than 4 years.

Also, not many fleet managers are dishing out R36 Passat's to their company's employees!

I'd be inclined to maintain the oil level with the SAME oil as it's currently filled with.

10,000 is not outrageous - the filter will hold the very very tiny metal bits without upsetting oil flow. But, if you have a propensity to use the available perforamance then you've probably already completed the break in period ahead of time. This is no bad thing at all - it's better to get this stage out of the way.

Do as Waynne suggests and get the oil and filter changed soon'ish' but do ensure that it's done with VW approved oils and VW OEM filters. Again, no panic, modern engines are built to very tight tolerances and running in is not the savage grinding process is was in years gone by. There will not be a millions of metal fragments circulating the engine.

The best way is to simply pay the dealer to do it; that way you can never be accused of tampering with the Ts and Cs of the warranty, even far into the future.

If VW refuses to do this then make sure it's recorded in the service book that they have refused to comply with your request.

Cheers guys. I will get my local independent to do it with VW OEM Oil and Filter. I've read the warranty T and C's and as long as things are done with VW parts they cannot void the warranty.

I'd happily pay the dealer prices, but, our VW local dealer is absolutely useless beyond all belief and I have no inclination to ever give them another £ of my cash. I bought the car at a very good VW dealer miles away after falling out badly with our local one over the W8 on numerous occasions, thanks to their shoddy workmanship.

With the new day upon me, I've decided to save a bit of cash - let it wait until 10'000 miles and top-up with the oil that's already in it. Spoken to VW and it was delivered with 5W/30 LongLife (VW spec 504.00).

You're right about warranty - so long as OEM parts are used and the scehdule is followed the work can be done by any mechanic.

Get the 504.00 stuff from the dealer and maintain the level. Do not overfill as this can cause seals to rupture etc.