New cars to be limited to 1.6 litres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I didn't see this one coming, EU Parliment to restrict all cars sold in Europe to an engine size of 1.6 litres?

If you ask me this is crazy and will waste millions in R&D on the engines already in production/nearing production.

Will a 1.6 litre Ferrari be as much fun as the current crop?

Read the full story here

What do you think of this then? Is this the final straw for EU/car makers?

More Brussels burocracy! This is crazy! Does this mean that 2.5 ton off road SUVs are going to be restricted to a 1.6? :evil:

in the early nineties F1 engines 1.4ltr V6's with turbo's making about 800/900hp,
so it is possible to get decent power out of small capacity engines but the R&D costs involved getting back to that level would be huge and a bit of a waste of time since there are already manufacturers working to create efficient engines that can deliver a fair whack of performance.

Is this a joke?

1.6??? Eh???

That is a French idea if ever I have seen one. They don't make any large engine cars. Every other major car maker do.

I have never owned a car smaller than a 1.8 and have no intention of doing so.

I CAN NOT STAND ALL THIS ECO CRAP. CAN WE ALL PELASE JUST FORGET IT AND LOOK FORWARD TO COLDER WINTERS AND HOTTER SUMMERS!

I would rather the government put the tax up to 23% and stop charging us for all this eco crap, then out of the extra money from tax, use it buying flood barricades, grit salt, ipa, improving roads, ice trucks and what not.

IF THE PLANNET IS CHANGING, THEN LET IT CHANGE. THE UK PRODUCES LESS THAN 0.1% TOWARDS GLOBAL WARMING SO ONE COUNTRY ALLONE WILL DO JACK POO. ACCEPT IT AND ADAPT.

OR AS THEY SAY, ADAPT AND OVERCOME. :mad:

They need to take this further. Anyone under the age of 25 should be restricted to 1.3 N/A engines.

Drivers under the age of 21 should be restricted to driving between 8am and 8pm.

Any modifications made to a car should be subject to a similar test kit cars have to pass before they are allowed on the road. This would remove cars with stretched tyres, tinted windows, loud exhausts, etc from the roads, leaving more rooom for us serious and experienced modders.

I don't think age restrictions are the answer, in my opinion if car drivers were to be limited by licence classes like HGV's then there would be scope for people to own what they liked as long as they have taken the relevant test, similar to having to take another test with a trailer,

I do though agree about the SVA test for modded and kit cars and having stricter guidelines on what and how you make modifications

Shall we all start earning the same amount of money, and pay all the rest to the state? That answer is a bit communist dont you think??

At the age of 17 I was working 600 miles away from home. I have 300 miles of 60mph road to do, and 300 miles of motorway. There was no chance I was doing that trip in the day. Its the differnce between a 9 hour trip and a 13 hour trip.

A lot of youngsters that have 1.2/1.3L cars have to take massive risks to overtake, as they are inexperianced and have an underpowered car. What you need to do, it teach them how to drive safe in a larger engine car. That would make overtaking safer and give them more responsibility.

Mind, what am I saying. Non of this would affect me. Yeah, they can do what they like. Do what OG said! :bigsmile:

I'm emigrating to New Zealand. Sod it. And how would you say my experience would fair on the road seeing as I'm 21 and completed part of an advanced driving course?

I foresee a communist Cameron

no matter how gullible or naive you are, the page that link is for makes it sound very convincing.

I have been thinking "you buggers" all morning :lol::lol:

just noticed on youtube that if you click upload you will see
Send horse-drawn carriage to me to pick it up. click it and it will take you to a youtube april fools day vid.
also you can watch vids like they are form 1911

ive also just updated to firefox 4 and they have moved the tabs i dont think its an april fools day joke. but its a joke how annoying im finding it at atm:mad:

They need to take this further. Anyone under the age of 25 should be restricted to 1.3 N/A engines.

Drivers under the age of 21 should be restricted to driving between 8am and 8pm.

Any modifications made to a car should be subject to a similar test kit cars have to pass before they are allowed on the road. This would remove cars with stretched tyres, tinted windows, loud exhausts, etc from the roads, leaving more rooom for us serious and experienced modders.

Brave words OG! I think you have just opened up a
747119_can-o-worms.gif

:lol: I'm glad I caught out a few with this - setting up the dummy webpage took ages - especially trying to make it look official! ;)

Yup - corny isn't it. I never really did much with the site since the rebuild, although an earlier incarnation of it did earn me good money selling dvd's via Amazon and CD wow.

I also own r8a.co.uk - it could be an R8 Audi forum I suppose? The trouble with being a web desinger is that you amass a load of useless domains.

Try flogging 'em off then. d8a.co.uk should fetch a good price. This might appeal to a credit checking agency (Experian, for example) which offers fixed price online checking to the general public.

I might do that. I've got Aimlo.com, Artycity.com and some other pretty nifty names as well. Trouble is I use d8a as a primary email account so I'm kind of tied to it.

Can I have artycity? My wife sells art and we were looking for a website. What you think? Check it in a month. you'd be proud!

Just a quick point, i am only 20, so according to your new recommended guidelines i wouldn't even be able to drive to work at half 6 in the morning. What would you say to that. And think of it from the younger point of view, how would you feel being restricted to a 1.3 (about 80hp maybe) for the first 6 years of your driving life. After which youngsters will have saved up enough money to then buy a 500hp beast when they turn 25. (and crash shortly afterwards) Surely it's better to let drivers ease there way up in power at there own pace. Insurance companies are forcing us to drive less powerful cars anyway.

I agree with you. Not all young drivers are bad anyway. Those that are can still drive a 1.0 Corsa badly.

As can olders drivers.

As can those in the middle like me at 41 yrs.

Attitude plays a big part and many drivers do NOT learn from their experience.

Just a quick point, i am only 20, so according to your new recommended guidelines i wouldn't even be able to drive to work at half 6 in the morning. What would you say to that. And think of it from the younger point of view, how would you feel being restricted to a 1.3 (about 80hp maybe) for the first 6 years of your driving life. After which youngsters will have saved up enough money to then buy a 500hp beast when they turn 25. (and crash shortly afterwards) Surely it's better to let drivers ease there way up in power at there own pace. Insurance companies are forcing us to drive less powerful cars anyway.

I cant stand driving a standard car and cant not have tinted windows as they are the best mod ive done even better than the exhaust.