Need advice on engine swap for toyota matrix xrs!!

1fastTrix

Waz up everyone. I got a 03 matrix xrs and im planning to do wat i think is a awesome engine swap idea. Im lookin at swapping out my 1.8L for a 1.8L 2003 turbo vw gti engine. im also lookin at the 96-97 volvo 850 T5-T5r engine. I would turbo my car but i want to be different and i heard its not a good idea for the 2zz. But im not sure if those engines will fit in my engine bay and i dont know how im supposed to find out so any idea out there please let me know. and if i swap the engine and tranny for any of these cars do i need to change my inner/outer tie rods and can i keep my exhaust system by just attaching it to the headers of those engines or do i need a custom exhaust? Im swapping because my car is very light and those engines have a lot of torque in the low rpm range( which i need cuz i merge on to highways everyday from WV to maryland and my car doesnt pick up speed quick enough plus my car will FLYYEEEE!)Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Not seen anyone do this conversion yet. It sounds ambitious - are you doing the work yourself?

A custom exhaust will be fairly easy to do - you really just need to change the downpipe so it mates with the rest.

Where are you from?

Im from Maryland in the U.S.A. Im new to the forums. But yeah, I have been thinkin about puttin the 1.8t but lately I have been researching the 1995 Volvo 850 T5-R engine(B5234T5) and I am lovin it! 240hp/221ft.lb tq.

I got all the major information i probably need for the swap like the engine name(B5234T5), the size(2.3L), the type of ecu(Bosch 4.3 motronic six-two-eight) and the tranny type( auto AW/50-42). I work at a garage and my experience is limited.

Ive done engine work as in removing engines and replacing with a newer engine, but I have never done a swap. I might do it myself with the help of my fiances uncle who is a diesel mechanic that has done swaps before but it depends on when he is available.

So for the swap do i need the wiring harness for the engine only or do i need the wireing harness for the a/c also? and do those harnesses connect directly to the ecu? Any information on swaps that you guys can give me by experience let me know everything so i will be prepared to do this by November. And give me legite sites if possible where i can get the engine(new/rebuilt), tranny(new), ecu, and harnesses and anything else i may need like motor mounts and etc. And im trying to save as much money as possible. Thank you everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are doing a swap it is really handy to have a donor vehicle available. You will invariably need the wiring for the engine and the engine management. Wiring is usually the biggest headache in any engine swap. Some cars have the immobiliser built into the ECU so this might mean a change of locks - not sure about the Toyota.

When I did an engine swap I got an engine from breakers yard and then asked a local engine builder to strip it down and fully recondition it. ALWAYS GET THE WATER PUMP AND OIL PUMP RECONDITIONED. If these fail it will kill the engine and I see so many people get caught out by this one!

hey i have a 2001 toyota camry with a 2.4 4L and i wanted to do an engine swap with a v6 or higher what should i swap it with and how hard will this be what all will i need to replace along with the engine ect...