Narrow country lanes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When driving along very narrow country lanes and approach a blind bend do you sound your horn?

On a single track road where there is little opportunity to see round a bend and passing places are often spaced out at quite a distance you wish you had radar. At night you can at least see the lights of approaching cars but in the day time the use of the horn certainly has its merits.

Do you sound your horn? Do you think you should use your horn in this way?

I don't use the horn. Just approach the bend cautiously and be ready to take evasive action if there is something travelling in the opposite direction. A bit of care and anticipation is all you should really need.

I sound the horn. Same as on blind hump-back bridges. It might not be neccasary - but it certainly can't do any harm.

Last edited:
I'm with TB69, very narrow country lanes should be treated with caution. Sounding the horn is a ok idea for warning pedestrians & other road users (cyclists, sheep, cycling sheep) but I don't think it'll be heard by another car or motorbike approaching the other way.

I'm with TB69, very narrow country lanes should be treated with caution. Sounding the horn is a ok idea for warning pedestrians & other road users (cyclists, sheep, cycling sheep) but I don't think it'll be heard by another car or motorbike approaching the other way.

Especially not when i'm coming the other way with the tunes thumping ;)