Naming And Shaming

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
this post is dedicated to the morons who are unaware that rear bulbs are no longer working.

mitsubishi l2000, neith rear brake lights are functioning. i nearly drove into you.

vauxhall corsa 5dr in red. no reversing lights.

i'm sure there will be more. oh couldnt see properly but i beleive it was a 4x4 had no lights on at midnight. div.

Perhaps the DVLA should set up a website where we can report the vehicle anonymously in the hope that they might check in periodically and discover that they need to replace lamps.

I aways try and tell people if I notice failed lamps or under inflated tyres but 90% of the time you just get a cold response. I once chased a biker for 20 miles to tell him there were NO REAR LIGHTS at all. He was very grateful, knowing only too well the risks he runs riding in modern traffic with the idiot car drivers around.

That's probably why the lamps have failed. Not quite due for an MOT and the owner's not checked 'em. Though you assume the service department at the dealership would have done so.

First time MOT failures are often lighting related, headlamp alignment being the most common as it's not usually checked at service time.

I suppose it's possible with some of these ultra long 20,000 - 30,000 mile service intervals (at least, with petrol engines that long interval is quite common now) that the car have never yet been back for a service since purchase if the owner does relatively few miles.

It's the driver's responsibility to check these things periodically, and it's not that idfficult.

As an aside, I drive on dipped beams day and night, summer and winter. Makes you so much more visible. Sweden introduced daytime running lights 30 plus years back and accidents went down 30 percent immediately.

HDi fun said:
Perhaps the DVLA should set up a website where we can report the vehicle anonymously in the hope that they might check in periodically and discover that they need to replace lamps.

I aways try and tell people if I notice failed lamps or under inflated tyres but 90% of the time you just get a cold response. I once chased a biker for 20 miles to tell him there were NO REAR LIGHTS at all. He was very grateful, knowing only too well the risks he runs riding in modern traffic with the idiot car drivers around.

what do you mean the one they have for reporting cars without tax doesnt work (but i think its just a number not a website) i ken someone who foned 3 times about a guy who was swapping a tax disc between 2 cars, over a year and a half later the traffic warden finally spotted that nether car had tax on it but it was another 6 months before the council finally got round to lifting them

all this time he was driving both of them round nether one had a mot or tax which would mean the insurance if he had any would also be invalid

so much for "we know where you are " etc

leds havent really caught on as headlight as such there avalible now on premium brands as running (dayslight) lights

reason being the output is not wide enough angle and intensity is blinding on white light so yuo end up with a lot of leds to cover the same angle as one bulb but youd end up blinding other drivers with them as main lights or you wouldnt have enough light to see with give it a year or 2

LED's are developing fast. It's like a round-robin. We'll end up with semiconductor headlamps in 4 to 5 years time. That'll make Xenon HiD seem obsolete.

Then someone wil re-invent the thermionic valve and we'll have fretwork in the dashboard so that the radio valves can offer up that warm glow.