My new toy is nearly ready!

The really nice chaps at Talon Sportscars are building me my new toy. It's called a Talon 100R. It's basically a Rover 100 with knobs on, lots of knobs :blink:
So heres the specification.

Re-Welded Floor Pans and Sills
Fully Welded 6-Point Roll-Cage with Door Bars and Diagonal
143BHP 1.8 VVC Engine with PG1 Gearbox (Type C Gearset)
Quaife Torque Biasing Limited Slip Differential
Fibreglass Bonnet
Perspex Windows Side & rear
New Clutch and Release Bearing
2 Core High Capacity Radiator
Front and Rear Anti-Rollbars
GTi Vented Front Discs and Calipers
14" Alloy Wheels with Toyo Proxes T1R Tyres
A set of GTI rims for track days
Individualised and modified hydragas units
New Custom Designed side exit Exhaust
Fibreglass Rear Wheelarch panels to remove the bit that always rusts on metros/ rover 100
Paintwork Re-Touched and Colour Coded
Stripped interior
Aluminium door cards
12 Months MOT

It will look something like this when finished.
rt-005-800.jpg

Only mine is white...
MartinDaxRush0005-1.jpg

The car is really coming along now the interior has been stripped & all unnecessary metal has been removed to reduce weight & the rollcage has been fitted, the shell is also rolled over & fully welded & resealed.
loz3-1.jpg

loz2-1.jpg

The engine is fully inspected & the head removed for internal inspection & new improved headgasket fitted (sometimes a weak link in K-series engines)
MartinDaxRush0006-1.jpg

A brand new PG1 gearbox has also been sourced, which is a bit of a bonus. Thanks Dudley! This is will be fitted with new a Quaif LSD too :)
All the new antiroll bars have been fitted the supension individulised & some geometry tweeks have been done.

Also the fibreglass bonnet & rear arches have been sent away for painting here's a pic of the bonnet, the hole is to allow some of the heat to escape from the exhaust manifold.
r100-bonnet-01-1.jpg

Thats it for now folks hopefully the car will be ready mid October I'll post more info as I get it from Dudley at Talon.

Thanks for looking :amuse:
Loz.

Last edited:
Very nice, I bet you are getting more and more impatient as time goes on;)

Frankly, I'm hell to live with at the moment :mrgreen:

My friends are just has keen to see it too, I've had to wait 4 months because the guys are so busy at Talon. But I know it'll be worth the wait:D

thats a nice looking..... rover 100??? not a personal fan but each to there own.

not trying to say its pants or anything, cos i recon it will be a good car.

but why not get something like a golf R32 or a 106 gti to mod?? would give a much better base to tune.

you will have to tell me what sort of figures you get out of it.

i.e. 0-60, bhppertonne, quartermile andso on :)

thats a nice looking..... rover 100??? not a personal fan but each to there own.

not trying to say its pants or anything, cos i recon it will be a good car.

but why not get something like a golf R32 or a 106 gti to mod?? would give a much better base to tune.

Agreed I could have bought a whole raft of other cars, but I wanted a car that would be easy(ish) on petrol & entertaining to drive on my way to work (50 miles a day) & the fact is I wanted something a bit different (the other car on my short list was a Panda 100HP). There are many modded Golfs, civics, Scoobys, 106's, Corsa's etc on the road & while this is in no way a bad thing in it's self, & I'm not slating anyone elses choice of car, It's not for me. I just don't (can't) do normal :lol:
Plus I really like 'Q Cars' My last car was a standard looking Smart City coupe running a tuned roadster turbo engine (114bhp 101 torques, the car weighed less than 750 kgs wet) which was HUGE fun at traffic lights :blink::lol: But like you I did have some doubts about buying another metro/100 & it wasn't until I went for a test drive, that I really understood what the car was about. Also it's abit good on track days too :mrgreen:

you will have to tell me what sort of figures you get out of it.

i.e. 0-60, bhppertonne, quartermile and so on :)

According to Talon, a 140mph is a realistic top speed. BHP per tonne? don't know yet but I'm keen to weigh the car when I get it. A consevative estimate of say, 800kgs for the car, could possibly give 178bhp/tonne.
0-60? A peek at the 'Parkers' website says, a 143bhp 1.8i VVC MGF will do the sprint in 7secs. So I expect roughly the same sort of time for the R100 (who knows may be less, that would be nice!)
I will be more than happy to let you know what figures I get (all recorded off road & in a legal fashion of course ;))

All the best,
Loz.

Hi Loz,

It's starting to come together and looking good. See you on the hills next year?

Pam

YAY! you've joined too :D
I could possibly be tempted up the Hill. I've got a spare set of alloy's now, to use for extra sticky rubber. Although, against your Beast I wouldn't stand a chance! :lol::lol::lol:

YAY! you've joined too :D
I could possibly be tempted up the Hill. I've got a spare set of alloy's now, to use for extra sticky rubber. Although, against your Beast I wouldn't stand a chance! :lol::lol::lol:

That's what I like to hear, another competitor on the hills, that will be a set of overalls and a helmet on the christmas list then.

No competition with us though as the modifications made to the smart now mean we run in the Sports Libra class. I assume you will be in the modified road going class that we used to run in, watch out for the 'Locaterfields' (Lotus 7's/Cateram's/Westfield's)

i agree far to many corsas, golfs, pugs, etc roamin a round moded, i think they look really nice (most of em) but you dont really see many rovers, correct me if im wrong, guess that why i love mine so much, and its just fun to drive :D

never really liked to 100s, (mainly cos most of em look ready to drop) but that is something special!

Hi all, just a quick note to say this thread has been moved to our new projects/wip forum within the gallery.

i agree with the idea of doing something different, even though im playing around with a car thats more common than macdee's, but fair play to you mate, and it seems to be coming along nicely.

Problem is there's not a fat choice when it comes 195/45/14's & to be fair the Proxes aren't that bad, good in the dry & wet but naff on just damp roads. Don't worry I have a set of R888's on 13" MPI alloys too. ;):bigsmile:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back