Most powerful British cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the top 5 most powerful British cars? (Lets do one list of current models and another for out of production models.)

A car must have had a production run of 100 models to count so this rules out 1 off tuner specials.

(I'll leave the definition of "British Car" up to you which is a debate in itself ....)

most powerful british cars?
mclaren f1
the car that was made between the british and americans that broke the top speed record of the bugatti veyron, don't remember the name.
aston martin v12
jaguar xj220
jaguar xjr-15

and why politics, i don't get it.

politics comes from the fact that there are no longer any british car manufactures.
for example which V12 aston - aston were owned by ford for so long that i would class them as being american. unless its a really old one, or one thats been released in the last 6 months since rodrive bought them over

and the one your missing is areo ssc but i think the americans claim its theres

politics comes from the fact that there are no longer any british car manufactures.
for example which V12 aston - aston were owned by ford for so long that i would class them as being american. unless its a really old one, or one thats been released in the last 6 months since rodrive bought them over

aha, got it. well you're looking for a national car producer, well, that's globalism, there's everything now serial production, no more the old way production, every one nowadays is owned by someone else, and the big fishes are just a few ones.

If a cat is born in a fish shop - does that mean it's a fish?

Jaguar/Aston Martin/Land Rover et al were owned by Ford of Europe, so were they American?

Pater worked on Astons and Jags, being loaned from Ford via Visteon and the Americans certainly weren't involved in ANY of their projects.

And those Zetec engines in the Fords - they were designed and are built by Yamaha!

Anyways the Lotus Esprit V8 was powerful.

And Thrust SSC - what was that about 45,000lbs of thrust!

Last edited:
If a cat is born in a fish shop - does that mean it's a cat?

Jaguar/Aston Martin/Land Rover et al were owned by Ford of Europe, so were they American?

Pater worked on Astons and Jags, being loaned from Ford via Visteon and the Americans certainly weren't involved in ANY of their projects.

And those Zetec engines in the Fords - they were designed and are built by Yamaha!

Anyways the Lotus Esprit V8 was powerful.

that cat still thinks she owns some things from the fish species.

oh, that......

This.... I'd have it in this colour too....
tvr_cerbera_speed_12.jpg

And hense why this turn political. Who is the parent company of Ford of europe - Ford, who are american.
thts like saying Vauxualls are brittish. most are the same as the Opel counterparts and are all owned by general motors. American yet again

Dont think it was the thrust ssc he was on about look for the areo ssc

And hense why this turn political. Who is the parent company of Ford of europe - Ford, who are american.
thts like saying Vauxualls are brittish. most are the same as the Opel counterparts and are all owned by general motors. American yet again

ford origanaly was started by henry ford, a man from cork, my city
but is ford classed today as american???

are we talking british origanal cars.??
tvr is british, the origanal mini is british,

I have a friend who was born and raised in Britain, her father is American and her mother is Danish. She can live in either of three countries - what nationality is she?!

Seriously though, the point I was making is that Jaguar are STILL British. If Ford owning them makes them American, then are Aston, owned by Jaguar, British because their owned by a British company, or American because they are owned by a British company owned by an American company?

Also, given the current climate, the distinction of Ford of Europe vs Ford of America has allowed Ford of Europe to carry on, largely unaffected by the 'crisis' in the US where cars are being sold for thousands of dollars less than was intended - when I was in the US late last year I would have SAVED money buying a car in the US, exporting it to the UK and paying to have in converted to RHD!

I have a friend who was born and raised in Britain, her father is American and her mother is Danish. She can live in either of three countries - what nationality is she?!

Seriously though, the point I was making is that Jaguar are STILL British. If Ford owning them makes them American, then are Aston, owned by Jaguar, British because their owned by a British company, or American because they are owned by a British company owned by an American company?

Also, given the current climate, the distinction of Ford of Europe vs Ford of America has allowed Ford of Europe to carry on, largely unaffected by the 'crisis' in the US where cars are being sold for thousands of dollars less than was intended - when I was in the US late last year I would have SAVED money buying a car in the US, exporting it to the UK and paying to have in converted to RHD!

her nation is ADaBri
(A-merican; Da-nish; Bri-tish)

i am guessing that befor the big car companies owned jag, aston, bently etc they could be classed a british

but then you have the smaller companies like noble, morgan and Ariel

Depends on your definition of 'British' (back to semantics again). Just because the company is owned by Johnny Foreigner doesn't make it foreign if it is still based in UK and staffed by the same people. Lotus is a prime example. Although owned by a succession of foreign companies, it is still run by an Englishman and staffed likewise building cars to the same British style and philosophy, so as far as I am concerned it is still British. Then you have Caterham, Westfield, Morgan, Bristol, AC, Marcos, Mclaren, Noble, Dax, Ascari and Ginetta, to name but a few more.

you still do have rolls royce, don't you??? or no?
I suppose we do have Rolls Royce but the cars are so big and heavy they never appear on anyones powefull car lists. They do make extremely powerful aircraft engine? 1200bhp spitfire engine anyone?

I suppose we do have Rolls Royce but the cars are so big and heavy they never appear on anyones powefull car lists. They do make extremely powerful aircraft engine? 1200bhp spitfire engine anyone?

they are luxury cars, but however, they are powerful. i know about the spitfire, when the ritish did beated down the nazis, good done....

The Rolls Royce Merlin made it to 2,200bhp+ towards the end of the war.

The Meteor was a similar engine designed for tanks that has gone into Charlie's Rover SD1 in Practical Performance Car magazine.

The Rolls Royce Merlin made it to 2,200bhp+ towards the end of the war.

The Meteor was a similar engine designed for tanks that has gone into Charlie's Rover SD1 in Practical Performance Car magazine.

i remember seeing that fitted, was it not used as a daily driver for a while

I think I've misqouted the Merlin - I've decided to check my facts and I can't find one more powerful than 1,600BHP. That's nearly 1.6 Bugatti Veyrons.