Light or powerful

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Plucking figures out of the sky assuming these are realistic ballparks, which would you choose and why.

1000kg car with 400bhp
2000kg car with 800bhp

Assume that both cars will run a quarter mile in the same time and both have a similar power to weight ratio.

Which would you choose as your car and why? The light one or the powerful one?

Which one would be better on a twisty track or as a daily driver?

Take the latter if you can afford the fuel (for either). Then again, engines are far more efficient now than they were 30 years ago. The E39 528i BMW (auto 6 spd) I ran for four years yielded better MPG figures than the Fiat 127 1049cc I ran in the late 1980s.

I'm going to go with the 2000kg car with 800bhp... because logic says it'll be more spacious, more comfortable and have more gadgets inside :)

I think I would go for the 2000kg car with 800bhp also. I like your thinking there Rob, the power alone is required just to shift my weight yet alone the car :D

I pretty much practice what I preach to be fair, so it would be odd of me to choose 1000kg and 400bhp :)

The RS6 Saloon is 1950kg and running 714bhp... so that's 366hp/tonne.
Wayne's 800hp 2000kg hypothetical car works out at 400hp/tonne.

So i'm only 34bhp/tonne off the theory... What this does mean however, is I am going to have to find a way to extract another 68bhp without nuking the factory turbos ;) :lol:

I get told off for spending money on car parts :p

Ok, another T9 master class coming up in "how to win over the lady who strangles the purse strings" ;)

Take the lady out shopping for a new dress on a Saturday morning, this is the tough bit though Rob, you go in the shop with her and help her to make up her mind with helpful suggestions. Then, that night, you take the good lady out for an impromptu dinner while remembering to tell her how gorgeous she looks with that outfit on.

Sunday morning you get on the internet, you then buy anything your heart desires for the car and it will all be done with her blessing :)

Never fails ;b/

LOL - Voice of experience by any chance?? Although its clear you've never met my other half... !

Sunday morning I would be told off for spending money when we've already spent money on eating out and buying a dress ;).

This question doesn't compute. Shouldn't it be 1000kg car with 800bhp? :)

The Elan, when finished :), will start with 520bhp in a car weighing no more, hopefully, than 650kg. Spot on 800bhp/tonne.

Running 1000/400 and 2000/800 through my simulator, with everything else equal, the heavier car has a slight advantage over the 1/4 mile, around a tenth.