Most innovative new car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What car would you say is the most innovative? It can be any car from the last 30 years but It must have something special that pushed the envelope of car design or mechanical advances?

I vote for the Nissan Skyline when it got electronic traction control and diffs. It showed that technology has a place in mechanics and car handling.

Honda FCX Clarity.

For all the HooHaa of Hybrids etc We as motorists have to accept its our future. The FCX is the most insightful, innovative and most technologically advanced car ever. Prius what?

It must have something special that pushed the envelope of car design or mechanical advances?

The Veyron did both of these. How can it not be mentioned?
Sod the purchase price or manufacture price that was not the question. The Veyron is the pinnacle of car technology.

The Veyron did both of these. How can it not be mentioned?
Sod the purchase price or manufacture price that was not the question. The Veyron is the pinnacle of car technology.

Whats that special about it though? Sure its got almost 1000bhp but so what? Put enough turbo's, intercoolers and other cooling onto a big enough engine and you'll easily get that. Its not even the fastest car in the world anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I do like the Veyron, I just dont think its the pinnacle of car D&T

At launch, the Fiat Multipla must surely have had one of the interiors ever with acres of space and comfort.

The problem with it was it's appalling reliability which left most owners stuck with the propect of staring at it's exterior whilst sitting on the Mway verge awaiting the arrival of a tow truck.

The exterior was striking, to put it kindly. Innovative, no :)

Whats that special about it though? Sure its got almost 1000bhp but so what? Put enough turbo's, intercoolers and other cooling onto a big enough engine and you'll easily get that. Its not even the fastest car in the world anymore.

Dont get me wrong, I do like the Veyron, I just dont think its the pinnacle of car D&T

:lol::lol::lol::lol: How can you say whats special about it?

I think Bertrum is of a similar opinion to me. It [the Veyron] is indeed a masterpiece of engineering excellence. Attention to detail is second to none.

I suppose that what we're looking for is innovation that actually moved cars on technologically.

F1 used to be a good example. F1 technology eventually percolated down to mass market cars. That's why even a modest new car now is so dynamically capable.

They Veyron does not actually break any new technological ground, it just makes superb use of existing technology and does so to a high degree of excellence.

In my mind the original 98 Ford Focus introduced middle market buyers to a car with world class handling and dynamics - that was innovative at the time it was launched. Nothing else came close in that price bracket.

refusing to acknowledge Hybrids - would have to go with any number of Japanese sports cars, ie. new Evo's etc... with all the electronic gizmos on these things surely they are near the top.