Mk4 Polo 1.4 8v. HELP ME?!

Car
VW Polo 1.4 Mk4(98)
I'm pretty much a tuning virgin wen it comes to vdubs.

Having just changed my honda powered rover for a little polo (because of RISING fuel prices), i was wondering if there is anyone here that can help me in my quest to squeeze as much power out of my little 1.4 8v lump as possible!

To start with i've gotta be a bit tight with my money, because i've just spent out on lowering kit, brakes all round and an coldair induction kit.

All help will be most welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the site - hope you enjoy your time here. How did you find the induction kit in terms of performance gains?

That guide BLN points you to is pretty good ;)

Hiya,
I haven't fitted it yet as been busy with work and my son. But after read the pages he pointed me to, i think i'll taking it back and going for a flat panel system and venting the bonnet directly above it with a full Scorpion boxer rear box and possibly a custom manifold (4/2/1) going in a to straight through to the rear box.
Bacause it's R reg '98, i'm not sure whether to put in a performance cat, or drop out all together, and worry about it wen M.O.T. time comes round.

Also, a friend of mine is going to stage 2 gas flow my head and i wanna fit either a KENT or a PIPER cam, but not sure which wud be more benificial.

Got an Eibach suspension and spring kit and Eibach anti-roll kit coming too.

Handling shud be sweet. and with the little but significant engine mods, shud rocket along too! lol

Regards.

The important thing with a cam profile is :-
1) How solid they are - they must resist wear and tear.
2) The Duration of the cam profile - too much and the engine will be very lumpy low down.

I think a panel filter would be better for the performance than an induction kit. Suspension mods sound good - how much of a drop you going for?

hi mate, I'm going through the same motions y reg 2001 polo 8v, let me know how you get on as I'm getting different opinions from everyone I talk to, should be putting in a k&n panel filter this week and by next month hopefully the scorpion cat back boxer exhaust, how much is the exhaust setting you back, I've seen it for £250 which is abit steep. cheers and good luck, rock on polo's

ok I've seen it on ruderacing, it says in the description:

System Type
This is a full CAT-back exhaust system. It includes all the pipework from the CAT backwards to the tail-pipe.

Does that sound right, I don't need anything else?

thanks for all the advice much appreciated.

Mk4PoloMadness - I'll keep you posted on progress, cheers

if you can afford it
manifold
sports cat - if ou cant be bothered changing it for MOT
decat - if you can be bothered.
this will give you a FULL system

but again its more money for not much gain

ok, so I need a manifold sports cat (which will be the full kit, no other parts needed and doesn't have to be changed for m.o.t?)

and a new head gasket to go between cat and new exhaust and mounts?

thats it? how much will this set me back and also wheres the best place to get it?

thanks, sorry Mk4polomadness don't want your issue to be ignored either as we're more or less trying to achieve the same but you have more knowledge than me, thanks

Lol no mate not a new HEAD gasket, just a new exhaust gasket. You cna get those and rubber exhaust mounts for peanuts.

Decent stainless manifolds and sports cats are rather expensive though, if oyu thought £250 was steep for an exhaust, you're going to have a fright when you start looking into fanimolds and sports cats.

you can tell I don't know squat about engines, I'm good at fixing consoles though : ), ok so I've got the panel filter bit sorted, what would you recommend, please go step by step as its all jiberish to me, cheers and thanks for taking the time to reply

Lol no mate not a new HEAD gasket, just a new exhaust gasket. You cna get those and rubber exhaust mounts for peanuts.

Decent stainless manifolds and sports cats are rather expensive though, if oyu thought £250 was steep for an exhaust, you're going to have a fright when you start looking into fanimolds and sports cats.

:lol::lol:

i agree a decent manifold will be expensive but you can get a sports cat from £80 so not that bad tbh

and welcome back mr auron hope you had a good trip!!:D

tbh your not going to get much from the 1.4
panel filter will help as will a cat back
after this id go more for handling
better suspension - ether shocks and springs or coilovers
check and replace any worn ones with OEM (original equipment manufactures ie VW) is you want a comfy ride or poly bushes for a sportier ride