Mitsubishi Super VR4 Project

This is a direct copy and paste from another forum.

It is the complete project so far of the UK's only super legnum VR4 in red.

And so it begins:

May 28th 2010 is where it all started, when i took ownership of what was to become the best love story ever told :love:

A girl and her car.

Yup thats right my new toy/project has now landed on my drive way, and oh boy do i have my work cut out for me on this baby!

It is a 1998 Super Legnum VR4.
Like a standard VR4, i has the twin turbos, AYC and full time 4WD, so yes it will be a thursty gal!

it is a far cry from my V6 Galant, but hey, time change and we all need to move on, though i think im now suffering "shell shock" from what i have just gone and done!:huh:

anyway, back to the car.

The final VR-4 was introduced in 1996. The engine capacity was enlarged substantially to 2.5 L, which pushed the power up by 15 percent to the Japanese voluntary limit of 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp). The car was now capable of over 150 mph (240 km/h) when derestricted, and could accelerate from 0-60 in about six seconds.

The Type-V model could be specified with either the existing 5-speed manual or the optional INVECS-II, which was now an advanced self-learning 5-speed semi-auto based on Porsche's Tiptronic transmission, while the Type-S model offered the optional Active Yaw Control (AYC). This complex rear diff was first seen on the Lancer Evo IV, and used an array of sensors to detect and quell oversteer, giving the ultimate VR-4 great agility for a vehicle of its size and weight. A Super VR-4 variant was sold on both the Galant sedan and the Legnum wagon, with only cosmetic changes such as Recaro front seats and Momo steering wheel.

With the eighth generation of the Galant, Mitsubishi introduced a station wagon (known in many markets as the Legnum) to replace the old 5-door hatchback, and the VR-4 was now available in both body styles.

Techi bits

Technical specifications
Engine:
Configuration — DOHC 24v V type 6 cylinder
Code — 6A13TT
Bore/stroke, capacity — 81.0 × 80.8 mm, 2498 cc
Compression ratio — 8.5:1
Fuelling — ECI-MULTI, premium unleaded fuel
Peak power — 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) at 5500 rpm
Peak torque — 367 N·m (271 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm
Transmission — 5 speed semi-auto / 5 speed manual
Suspension — Multi-link (front & rear)

Dimensions:
Length — 4,680 mm (184.3 in)
Width — 1,760 mm (69.3 in)
Height — 1,420 mm (55.9 in)
Wheelbase — 2,635 mm (103.7 in)
Curb weight — 1,520 kg (3,400 lb)
Fuel tank — 60 L
Wheels/tyres — 225/50 R16 91V

in layman's terms it puts out just under 300BHP and goes like stink!
Also being as this is the SUPER VR4 means that only about 250 was ever made, and 28 of them were red.
i have 1 of the 28 in red and it is believed to be the ONLY red super vr4 in the UK!

There is alot of work that now lays ahead of me when it come to this car,
i need to find a set of RECARO racing seats for starters, considering either the popper SUPER side skirts or just going with the FL ones i had on my galant, sorting the alloys out and going for a set of 18", lowering and then re installing and wiring my car PC and ICE, the of course come the fitting of the rear lip, re designing the powerflow exhaust system so it becomes a twin exit, CF wrapping the bonnet and a few other parts, fitting the EVO style bonnet, fitting my twin projector headlights, full service, tax and mot, then sending it away to be professionally valeted.

Im sure there is more i can add to this list, but im ****** tired, so i will now leave you with some pics!

IMG_9845.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

It's cool any time.
I can suggest having a chat with the lot at BC
I found them to be very helpful and they answered all my questions I had to ask.

Coins... Yeah I'm still waiting in mine to arrive but never do! Lol

Cheers charger. But if I remember right the hood is off an Evo 8.

I'm due to take more pictures soon. So when I do I will put them up in here :)

The car is back in the air now and we are finishing off that damn exhaust system as its blowing worse then one of the cheap ass whores that stand on our street corner!

they are similar, lol.
i was about to buy a 1999 galant 2.4 gdi, felt in love with it but fate dissapointed me as always.

There are quite a few people reading this thread looking at the stats but we've not had any updates from you in a while any updates on this project - or have you moved on to another one?

What are your plans for the future?

Oh wow I totally forgot about posting this!
I still have the car yes, it's had a replacement gearbox and ecu fitted but I suspect the ecu that was supplied was not the right one.
I have got another vr4 in for parts but due to a lot of what I can only discribe as hell, it got put on the back burner.
In the mean time I managed to get my hands on a few GTO'S oh how I love the pain they bring!

Now driving around in a 306 cabloret in tango orange for my sins

Keep in touch, I really want to know how you get on!

What are you doing with the GTO's?

The dark red one is undergoing a new engine but with power upgrades, looking to hit 480/500
The black gto is eventually going to become a V8

Once things are sorted then the super will come back out again but unsure on time frame

That sounds like a really interesting project. Have you started a build thread on here yet? If not (hint hint) please do so, we love reading about peoples projects, and you never know you might want some tips or feedback and it's easier if we know more about the car and what's been done.

Bit of an update on j Tec my dark red gto.
Got my new turbos 13t's, walbro fuel pump and a set of RC550's the other day. So one step closer to the start of everything. Again once that ball is going then full thread for each car will be posted
Still nothing forward on the super. But saying that it is trapped in a garage blocked in by a few other cars lol