Mitsubishi Super VR4 Project

This is a direct copy and paste from another forum.

It is the complete project so far of the UK's only super legnum VR4 in red.

And so it begins:

May 28th 2010 is where it all started, when i took ownership of what was to become the best love story ever told :love:

A girl and her car.

Yup thats right my new toy/project has now landed on my drive way, and oh boy do i have my work cut out for me on this baby!

It is a 1998 Super Legnum VR4.
Like a standard VR4, i has the twin turbos, AYC and full time 4WD, so yes it will be a thursty gal!

it is a far cry from my V6 Galant, but hey, time change and we all need to move on, though i think im now suffering "shell shock" from what i have just gone and done!:huh:

anyway, back to the car.

The final VR-4 was introduced in 1996. The engine capacity was enlarged substantially to 2.5 L, which pushed the power up by 15 percent to the Japanese voluntary limit of 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp). The car was now capable of over 150 mph (240 km/h) when derestricted, and could accelerate from 0-60 in about six seconds.

The Type-V model could be specified with either the existing 5-speed manual or the optional INVECS-II, which was now an advanced self-learning 5-speed semi-auto based on Porsche's Tiptronic transmission, while the Type-S model offered the optional Active Yaw Control (AYC). This complex rear diff was first seen on the Lancer Evo IV, and used an array of sensors to detect and quell oversteer, giving the ultimate VR-4 great agility for a vehicle of its size and weight. A Super VR-4 variant was sold on both the Galant sedan and the Legnum wagon, with only cosmetic changes such as Recaro front seats and Momo steering wheel.

With the eighth generation of the Galant, Mitsubishi introduced a station wagon (known in many markets as the Legnum) to replace the old 5-door hatchback, and the VR-4 was now available in both body styles.

Techi bits

Technical specifications
Engine:
Configuration — DOHC 24v V type 6 cylinder
Code — 6A13TT
Bore/stroke, capacity — 81.0 × 80.8 mm, 2498 cc
Compression ratio — 8.5:1
Fuelling — ECI-MULTI, premium unleaded fuel
Peak power — 206 kW (280 PS; 276 hp) at 5500 rpm
Peak torque — 367 N·m (271 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm
Transmission — 5 speed semi-auto / 5 speed manual
Suspension — Multi-link (front & rear)

Dimensions:
Length — 4,680 mm (184.3 in)
Width — 1,760 mm (69.3 in)
Height — 1,420 mm (55.9 in)
Wheelbase — 2,635 mm (103.7 in)
Curb weight — 1,520 kg (3,400 lb)
Fuel tank — 60 L
Wheels/tyres — 225/50 R16 91V

in layman's terms it puts out just under 300BHP and goes like stink!
Also being as this is the SUPER VR4 means that only about 250 was ever made, and 28 of them were red.
i have 1 of the 28 in red and it is believed to be the ONLY red super vr4 in the UK!

There is alot of work that now lays ahead of me when it come to this car,
i need to find a set of RECARO racing seats for starters, considering either the popper SUPER side skirts or just going with the FL ones i had on my galant, sorting the alloys out and going for a set of 18", lowering and then re installing and wiring my car PC and ICE, the of course come the fitting of the rear lip, re designing the powerflow exhaust system so it becomes a twin exit, CF wrapping the bonnet and a few other parts, fitting the EVO style bonnet, fitting my twin projector headlights, full service, tax and mot, then sending it away to be professionally valeted.

Im sure there is more i can add to this list, but im ****** tired, so i will now leave you with some pics!

IMG_9845.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9841.jpg

IMG_9840.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

Right well mitsi can't get these spoilers anymore :(
But i think, thanks to a mate. We have someone that might be able to fix it. :)

Now I'm on the hunt for cv joints. I'm awaiting response from a company that might be able to help. They can't seem to find anything for the legnum vr4 but will cross ref with the na v6. So fingers cross!

The new HD is ready now so all I need to do is plug it in and see. Again fingers cross!

Things are slowly coming together but it's all the little set backs that are putting my mood about this car in a dark place.

Happy for you mate, I know what it's like when things go south with your ride, it's like having a sick child in your home. Hang in there, things always seem to work out, sometimes it just takes too darn long.

Front pipes are down but a bolts snapped off in the rear turbo.
Bugger.
Tomorrow I'm taking it off and gonna try a more harder approach then a stud extraction tool and heat.
This calls for "The Vice" (cheesey American cop show theam tune to be now played)

Well hopefully all will be ok come end of play (sunset) tomorrow evening.
It's best be as I'm off up north to pick up the replacement gear box Saturday.

Then see about putting the darn C clip back in its place I'd the drive shaft. Talking of that, still no luck in getting replacement CV joints. Looks like its going to be a referb job.

Keep tuned for the next (non exciting) update :)

Hurray! The rear pipe is off and the manifold too!
Time to extract the snapped bolt and get it all back together!
Then crack on with ripping the seats and carpet out all to if in the darn screen so I can test out the HD and pray to the car and PC gods that I can have it all working and have my tunes back!! :)

Results to follow

drumroll please!

Bit of an update here now fokes.

Over the past week or two my car has spent more time up in the air then on the deck, namley sorting out the clicky CV joints.
after a bit of fussing about and changing them over and the passenger side still clicking, we came to the thinking that maybe its something a bit more sinister.

after no luck of getting new cv joints for this car and it is a driveshaft unit only, im now looking at sending off my spare set to get done, as to be fair, iv not got the £450 for each side.

anyway, the exhaust was also blowing so it was a job that could no longer afford to be put off. down came the front pipes and a snapped bolt in the manifold on the rear turbo..... !
after a lot of fussing the thing was taken off and the bolt removed after taking it to a garage to abuse there oxy :lol:
by the time we got back it was dark out and the car was needed the next day, que the 500w flood light!

photo_zps7d538ea0.jpg

that worked a treat! 8)

Onwards and upwards!
To Birmingham i went the next day, dropped some stuff off to Andy and had a bit of a chat.

then over to my mate to collect a few items...

photo2_zps0edfc51d.jpg

in that little lot is the auto gearbox, 4 facelift hub carriers and 5 ECUs, one of which will work along side the gearbox.
nothing wrong with my old ECU its just if you replace, you need to change the ECU so it works well. kind of annoying but hey ho!
oh and tow torque converters, only need one but he couldnt remember what was the better of the two.

dam heavy all that lot and i deffo felt it on the drive back home!

but this run was the best result i have had yet on a run :)

photo1_zps0f7ea27c.jpg

still got an 8th left!
im well chuffed :D

onto the next day.
this is where the fun really begins.

Its now finally time to upgrade my brakes :wav:

photo3_zpsdc6e8756.jpg

Old V New
photo5_zps60657855.jpg

I had to use 22mm spacers in order to get them to fit and still its a tight fit!
photo11_zps630d5a41.jpg

but here it is!

Before:
photo12_zps3a2fada5.jpg

After:
photo13_zps9e11b65b.jpg

Now i can stop and now i do need to carry a spatula in the car so i can peel my face from the screen :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have front and rear number plate holders ready to fit in that blue (that panel under the vents and the number plate holders were painted today) and i am very tempted to do all the lights on the front in the same colour. it really lights up against the trigger mauve and one of the CVR4 guys thought i had fitted lights under the vents. its a rattle can job done by a spray painter. im leaving all the vents with their existing black mesh

im never in the mood for tasks like that. if it doesnt work in a few minutes then i get frustrated and look for someone who can do the job for me. same with the front bumper. i removed it from the V6 but the bolts in the corner are really tricky and the VR4 cant be off the road so im waiting for help with it. my mate is coming round on saturday morning to do it. i will remove the lights and buttons along the front but he can do the bolts lol

#!#!#!#!e and briny bolts now got, gonna hit that bitch tomorrow and see what comes of it all, a week without driving her makes mazz go something something....

cant remember where i got to on this, but studs snapped rendering car useless and iv got new wheels now. i do a copy an paste. but the car is still off the road as im still in need of new rubber.
awaiting on prices on a nice set of bridgstones ;)

nice set of wheel here now :)

gonna go with 225/45/17s, so should fill the arches nice :)

for now they will remain white and in a scabby state untill i find somewhere local to get them shot blasted so i can work my magic on them.

they will be a a sweet ass balc/blue/purple with gold, green, red, yellow, silver fleck, the same colour my old galant was as thats the colour of the body kit will be once i get it back on the car. and then finished with a red lip :)

photo3_zpsed4b3eee.jpg

photo2_zps824951c9.jpg

photo1_zpsdfd0d8a3.jpg

not a bad price for £80 and other then the scabby paint work, there mint!

this was taken last night moments after the wheels went on.
such a moody picture

image1_zpsb494fa00.jpeg

shes spending the day down at mitsi HQ being fondled by ralliart peeps!

image_zps04ae87a8.jpeg

and my cake for my birthday yesterday :D

image2_zps0fd9ad6d.jpeg

image3_zps5baa91d9.jpeg

Iv not cut into it yet... I don't want to!!

Yeah it was good. And getting this just topped it!!

lol ask nice an she might ;)

im now on the hunt for a cheaper daily so this can go away and be worked on to get all the niggles out.
on the hunt for a nice R33 gtst now :)

yeah :)

i run the VR4 as a daily at the mo and after doing some maths and talking with a mate who used to own a r33, it dose work out cheaper to run a skyline as a daily :)

anything is better then 13mpg! lol

Happy huntings, my r33 is my daily and she's been uber reliable, and not expensive to maintain except you have to use 98 ron and I average just over 500km on a 60l tank in town and 610 km on the highway. Fairly easy to work on, endless parts available, try to use JDM though cause the Nissan dealers are a rip off. But if you get a good one, you won't need any parts.

hello you lot once again ;)

its been a bit of a hectic time hence the delay in updating.

iv been a tad busy in getting the old gal ready for the shows and track.

over the weekend i went to japfest and for the first time ever, for both me and the car, we went out on the track :) she did me very proud and im glad to report no crashing was had!
it has shown me that i really must get that gearbox changed and uprate my brakes (took the brembos off as they are shot) and get some coilovers on there ASAP!

but here is some pictures from the day.

Castle Combe - Japfest 2013

3153294_zps11b24617.jpg

3153384_zps9fe261bb.jpg

3153342_zps4fad0a2f.jpg

img6041j_zpsd2168edc.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM!!!
i eat mazda's for lunch!

img5872j_zpsbc77dda1.jpg

But todays antics was spent out in the pi$$ing rain replacing the rear of the exhaust system. (i sort of blew the old system up while on track)
then all hell broke loose when the welding wire ran out! ops:

its done, on the car. blowing a little but that can be sorted later as can the slight tweaking of one of the cans.

I will get to putting pics and vid up in due course. but right now meh im knackered

im just saving now for the suspension and brake upgrade. at japfest i had a nice chat with the lot from BC racing and they can fix me up a set of coilovers for the car for a nice tidy sum of not to much bank braking figures. been on the blower to Godspeed brakes and had the guy in stitches and hes gonna sort me a set of grooved disks all round and Kevlar pads all round and refurb my front brembos (didnt want the rears doing as they are ok) for a good price.

once this is done its back to the saving pot for the TD04 turbo upgrade! heeeeheeeeheeee!!!
my biggest problem on that task will be finding a 7202 ECU (really should check mine to see if its a 201 or 202....)
the 202's can be re-mapped where as the 201's cant, and being a PFL (pre facelift) car there is a high chance it is a 201 EUC i have. but there is a small chance its a 202 due to the fact its the super and was the last of the PFL and iv been told that some of the last of the runs on the PFL had a 202 in place....
hell its not like its gonna take me more then 5 minuets to find out as its pull a bit of plastic out the way. but its one of them yeah i will do it in a mo and never do it! lol

Good to see her on the track, and good to hear from you again, what range of coil overs are you going with?

It was most fun I can tell you that!

I'm going with BC racing coilovers.
They came highly recommended by a good friend that had them on her skyline.
Iv been told they will give me the best if what it is I require.

Yea lots and lots of skyline owners here in OZ swear by them, I assume you going with the BR range, looking at those myself, just not sure if they might not be a bit stiff for me as my car won't be doing track days, guess I'll have to see. You mind asking your friend which ones she got and how much stiffer the ride was after fitting them.

Not a problem. When I next see her I will ask.

Yeah. I'm looking at the BR range. Iv been told mid settings should give all I'm looking for and they are an easy adjustment.

Cheers charger. But if I remember right the hood is off an Evo 8.

I'm due to take more pictures soon. So when I do I will put them up in here :)

The car is back in the air now and we are finishing off that damn exhaust system as its blowing worse then one of the cheap ass whores that stand on our street corner!

Yea lots and lots of skyline owners here in OZ swear by them, I assume you going with the BR range, looking at those myself, just not sure if they might not be a bit stiff for me as my car won't be doing track days, guess I'll have to see. You mind asking your friend which ones she got and how much stiffer the ride was after fitting them.
It was a bit stiffer but it still had good ride quality but not jarry, it depends on how much you pre load the springs.
As the bc's you can pre liad to make the ride harder as well as 32 damping settings
The bc's on the r33 made the car much more drivable over longer distances then the tines that was on the car before.
They are a good upgrade for both track and road.
Highly recommended.

Thanks for the trouble,appreciate it stacks, she didn't mention spring loading, for the r33 the ones I'm looking at are 8kg on the front and 6kg on the rears. I'll defo's be getting a set just waiting for the coin to arrive. Once again thanks.